Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
beauty salons are still open

My kid and her husband own this place.
zZeLnIh.jpg

I don't think it was "announced”...

Statistics just show that to be the case.

not officially but I've read that over and over again. then later some said there WAS data that younger people were getting really sick also. at that time most younger people already decided they were invincible.

the two I know that this is affecting personally are healthy young people and it is kicking their a$$

so I think maybe the statistics were just a guess from looking at past epidemics of this type, at least when we first were bombarded with info

This thing is seriously NO JOKE!

I’m in the middle of the Pacific on a tiny speck rock! Population 165,000

We just recorded our first COVID-19 death this morning! ....after receiving the first confirmed COVID-19 case a week ago.

15 confirmed cases now. 4 were travelers and the rest contracted from association.

We been on lockdown 3 days ago! Government agencies and services closed indefinitely except for safety responders.

No gigs! All hotels practically closed ...transits closed! ....

Drive thru fast food available as well as some “mom and pop” stores

Governor announced this morning seeking Disaster Declaration from President Trump.

Definitely this is no joke ...please be safe, take precautions and follow protocols 🙏🏻

not officially but I've read that over and over again. then later some said there WAS data that younger people were getting really sick also. at that time most younger people already decided they were invincible.

the two I know that this is affecting personally are healthy young people and it is kicking their a$$

so I think maybe the statistics were just a guess from looking at past epidemics of this type, at least when we first were bombarded with info
Yes, young people can get it but most seem to be less seriously affected.

It's just facts based on data... It's not "just a guess".

Young people think they're invincible to most things - that is part of being young.

A couple of things:

1. Not Bullshit
This is most definitely not bullshit -- and countries/states are not overreacting. Based on current data and consensus of experts around the world, this appears to be the Spanish Flu of the 21st century. Spanish Flu killed 50-100 million people around 1918, when the world only had 1.8 billion people. We have around 4.3x the population now, with higher population density and more interconnected global relations. If this is on par with Spanish Flu in transmission and mortality rate, it would be devastating to the entire world. The mitigation actions being taken now are completely appropriate based on the current data and historic analysis.

2. The New Religion - The Church of Conspiracy
There are some people who are conspiracy addicts. I mentioned this before... I truly believe this is an escalating problem in society. The internet has made is easy to spread conspiracy theories (even ones that are thoroughly or partially debunked) But on the internet, the content remains, and some people are drawn to it like mosquitoes drawn to light... they want a group to belong to, and a belief system, so they choose conspiracy theories as their religion. I have old friends from high school and college like this. They post BS about faked moon landings, 9/11 inside jobs, and other conspiracy theories that have been debunked. I've seen there is a good amount of people who think that Covid-19 is just another conspiracy... that there's some global men in black who are controlling the media with the goal of taking away our freedom. Unfortunately, like religion, facts and evidence don't persuade most conspiracy addicts for altering their views.

3. Some Data Points to Keep in Mind When Comparing Countries - Mostly Missed by Media
In regards to comparisons with Italy and other countries - There are a few things that should be considered that the media just fails to mention. Good journalism and data science is just not as important as catchy headlines.

Italy's median age of population is 45.5 years old.
USA median age is 38.1 years old.
China's median age is 37.4 years old.
And the World median age is 30.4 years old.

These are important data points. They don't make black and white difference, but they're good to keep in mind when comparing country to country, in addition to health care capabilities, and timelines of events. (also interesting to note when I was looking into this: median age in the continent of Africa: only 19.7 years old!... that's crazy)

Italy population density 518 per square mile.
China population density 377 per square mile.
USA population density 87 per square mile.

These density numbers are mildly important. They don't make a huge difference compared to other factors, however its good to keep them in mind. Italy has much higher population density, a higher tourism economy, and significantly older population than the USA, so there's reason to estimate that percentage-wise, it may not hit us as hard as Italy, given a similar timeline of actions of mitigation.

4. Media will Continue to focus on Total Cases, but Critical/Serious Cases and deaths is better data for trend analysis.
I mentioned before, but tracking the Total Cases curve right now is a lot less important than tracking the curve of deaths and serious/critical cases. The Total Cases / Active Cases curve is going to look terrible for the next few weeks/months, but a good part of the reason for the extreme slope of that curve will be just that more tests will be administered to moderate cases, and eventually to mild cases as well. This rapid increase of testing capabilities needs to be considered if trying to glean meaning from the slope of the cases curve. This rapid increase in testing of more moderate cases will also bring down the mortality rate, however, it still appears that this will end up being around 5x to 20x more deadly than the flu, with widespread transmission. The future hindsight mortality rate is the hardest thing to estimate, because we just don't know how many moderate to mild cases are out there right now.

A couple of things:

1. Not Bullshit
This is most definitely not bullshit -- and countries/states are not overreacting. Based on current data and consensus of experts around the world, this appears to be the Spanish Flu of the 21st century. Spanish Flu killed 50-100 million people around 1918, when the world only had 1.8 billion people. We have around 4.3x the population now, with higher population density and more interconnected global relations. If this is on par with Spanish Flu in transmission and mortality rate, it would be devastating to the entire world. The mitigation actions being taken now are completely appropriate based on the current data and historic analysis.

2. The New Religion - The Church of Conspiracy
There are some people who are conspiracy addicts. I mentioned this before... I truly believe this is an escalating problem in society. The internet has made is easy to spread conspiracy theories (even ones that are thoroughly or partially debunked) But on the internet, the content remains, and some people are drawn to it like mosquitoes drawn to light... they want a group to belong to, and a belief system, so they choose conspiracy theories as their religion. I have old friends from high school and college like this. They post BS about faked moon landings, 9/11 inside jobs, and other conspiracy theories that have been debunked. I've seen there is a good amount of people who think that Covid-19 is just another conspiracy... that there's some global men in black who are controlling the media with the goal of taking away our freedom. Unfortunately, like religion, facts and evidence don't persuade most conspiracy addicts for altering their views.

3. Some Data Points to Keep in Mind When Comparing Countries - Mostly Missed by Media
In regards to comparisons with Italy and other countries - There are a few things that should be considered that the media just fails to mention. Good journalism and data science is just not as important as catchy headlines.

Italy's median age of population is 45.5 years old.
USA median age is 38.1 years old.
China's median age is 37.4 years old.
And the World median age is 30.4 years old.

These are important data points. They don't make black and white difference, but they're good to keep in mind when comparing country to country, in addition to health care capabilities, and timelines of events. (also interesting to note when I was looking into this: median age in the continent of Africa: only 19.7 years old!... that's crazy)

Italy population density 518 per square mile.
China population density 377 per square mile.
USA population density 87 per square mile.

These density numbers are mildly important. They don't make a huge difference compared to other factors, however its good to keep them in mind. Italy has much higher population density, a higher tourism economy, and significantly older population than the USA, so there's reason to estimate that percentage-wise, it may not hit us as hard as Italy, given a similar timeline of actions of mitigation.

4. Media will Continue to focus on Total Cases, but Critical/Serious Cases and deaths is better data for trend analysis.
I mentioned before, but tracking the Total Cases curve right now is a lot less important than tracking the curve of deaths and serious/critical cases. The Total Cases / Active Cases curve is going to look terrible for the next few weeks/months, but a good part of the reason for the extreme slope of that curve will be just that more tests will be administered to moderate cases, and eventually to mild cases as well. This rapid increase of testing capabilities needs to be considered if trying to glean meaning from the slope of the cases curve. This rapid increase in testing of more moderate cases will also bring down the mortality rate, however, it still appears that this will end up being around 5x to 20x more deadly than the flu, with widespread transmission. The future hindsight mortality rate is the hardest thing to estimate, because we just don't know how many moderate to mild cases are out there right now.

Western China is mostly empty land. If you take mega cities like Shanghai and others, the population density blasts up to 10,000/square mile

Because Italy stopped intubating people older than 60, so they die in large numbers.
I find this the most scary part, that people die because the health system runs out of ventilators. This is reality here in Europe (Spain, Italy), they are moving patients for artificial respiration up north but the virus will catch up.
What a lousy way to die, your family gets a call from the hospital with the good news that you can breathe unaided again and the next day you're dead (reality from Italy, as reported in an interview by Spiegel newspaper).

Please, people, stay at home.

actually that is correct ("intubating people older than 60" as general statement is wrong).
What apparently happened (based on reputable news channels e.g. a quote from a mayor in Spain on Spiegel.de) is triage.

For affected patients, I'm not sure if they will appreciate the difference.

I can speak for Italy since @levipeto wrote "in italy", this is not happening yet. I can not speak for spain.
What it's true is that they are moving some people from hospitals in the areas that have major infected to other hospitals but "they are not leaving anybody behind" (at he moment)

Just for the record (by no means as an argument with anybody. My keyboard warrior days are behind me, just as a credible reference in the days of fake news):
I'm referring to this interview dated 18.3.

SPIEGEL: Gibt es Kriterien, wer ans Beatmungsgerät kommt und wer nicht?

Gori: Ich weiß von einigen Patienten, die komplizierte Vorerkrankungen hatten und nicht mehr beatmet wurden, um die Geräte für andere Infizierte zu nutzen. Leider ist das an mehreren Orten in der Lombardei passiert. Aber das ist, glaube ich, nicht die Regel. Allen soll geholfen werden.
----
Interviewer: "are there criteria as to who gets a ventilator and who not"?
Gori (Mayor of Bergamo): "I know of some patients with complex pre-existing conditions who were not given artificial respiration anymore to use the machines for other patients. Unfortunately this happened in several places in Lombardy. But this is, I believe not the rule. Everybody should be helped".

Same here, peace and love to everybody. If you need to believe something please not believe to what you read on (especially) international press. The interview published in Italy with the same subject and interviewed reported: "if this will go on we will be forced to..." but, I repeat, at the moment this is not happening.
Have a nice day and stay at home (tomorrow I will start my 4th week of quarantine!!!)

It's just facts based on data... It's not "just a guess".

that "data" changed drastically from graph to graph, day to day, report by report - maybe not intentional but definitely just their best guess and I think guesses have caused more problems in this instance. the "data" we were given and the "data" the government has must be two different things

facts based on data.
that "data" changed drastically from graph to graph, day to day, report by report -

Yes, but the data is being compiled from places like China, which a couple of weeks ahead of us, and Europe which is at least a week ahead.
So while the numbers are changing daily, there's enough data already to be able to see trends.

lW5h5On.jpg

148 out of every 1,000 in the 80+ bracket and only 2 per 1,000 for people 39 and younger.

Last edited:
Yes, but the data is being compiled from places like China, which a couple of weeks ahead of us, and Europe which is at least a week ahead.
So while the numbers are changing daily, there's enough data already to be able to see trends.

lW5h5On.jpg

148 out of every 1,000 in the 80+ bracket and only 2 per 1,000 for people 39 and younger.

guess that's why 5 states have ordered everyone to stay in and not just the 60+

my opinion - none of these numbers mean anything until someone compiles and adds it all up a year from now

as I posted earlier that chart is giving young people a false sense of security and making for a lot of carelessness

guess that's why 5 states have ordered everyone to stay in and not just the 60+

I think you're missing the point.

Here are the facts:
1. There is currently no cure for Covid-19 - regardless of age.
2. Anywhere from 40-80% of the population will ultimately be infected - regardless of age.
3. Covid-19 can be carried and transmitted by anyone - regardless of age.
4. Older people are much more prone to die from it than young people.

Anyone only paying attention to #4 needs a couple of hard slaps across the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom