Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some more info on the situation in Italy: "As of March 17, 17 people under 50 had died from the disease. All of Italy’s victims under 40 have been males with serious existing medical conditions." That, I remind you, is out of 2,978. I'm under 50 and have no serious underlying medical conditions. I like my odds.

Macron shutting down France. If you know about French people....surely that can’t work*

*love you really French people, even if you are slightly strange.
You bloody racist, I will declare this post ! (just kidding of course; you're welcome). We work as much as possible at home, vital services and workers activity are maintained (like food and gas transportation, food stores, groceries, gas stations, garages, pharmacists, limited medical services..). We are allowed to walk our dogs and can go out shopping for food or a short walk. All other shops closed down. It's a bit shitty but I guess it's necessary. We manage reasonably to have phone meetings with our suppliers and customers as well as with colleagues.
As far as our company we do 2 mgt phone meetings a week, check if nobody got ill and if so we check if the person met other colleagues in the 2 weeks before. During the nighttime we drink lots of wine to desinfect our strange french bodies :p.

Goldman Sachs Sunday Emergency Conference Call:
150M in US will become infected.
2% will die = 3M deaths.

Yikes.
Weren't these the guys that said all was OK just before the crisis in 2008 ? Pfffff, never believe a banker, especially I'd not take for granted anything that comes from Goldman Sachs.

Some more info on the situation in Italy: "As of March 17, 17 people under 50 had died from the disease. All of Italy’s victims under 40 have been males with serious existing medical conditions." That, I remind you, is out of 2,978. I'm under 50 and have no serious underlying medical conditions. I like my odds.
IMG_20200319_114830.jpg

This is an unmitigated disaster. A true nightmare scenario now. Our so-called leaders completely botched this and now the world is on fire.
There's a powerpoint indicated somewhere in this thread, sound and factual, read it if you got some time.

added : couldn't find it anymore, it's here in fact, it's the only document I've read since 3 months that actually makes sense :

Last edited:
Summary and link to a pretty grim recent paper:

Basically, if we keep lockdowns, thousands of deaths in the US. If we let up a bit, millions of deaths in the span of 3 months. So we have to resort to 2 months lockdown 1 month lifted for the next 18 months, or millions of deaths. 18 months cus vaccine, human trial alone takes 14 months.

I dunno how that jives with Korea since they tamped it down without lockdowns. But apparently Korea was taken into account in the study, dunno.

Here's why.

"Before Trump’s inauguration, a warning: ‘The worst influenza pandemic since 1918’"

"In a tabletop exercise days before an untested new president took power, officials briefed the incoming administration on a scenario remarkably like the one he faces now."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...ario-pandemic-132797?utm_source=pocket-newtab

The worse shit is getting, the harder it gets to not be political on this forum. I wonder if the mods are more concerned about political arguments altogether or if they're just worried about partisan alienation. If the government is failing us, what difference does it make what party it is? Then again, a large portion of Americans feel like criticizing their guys are beyond reproach and will stop at nothing to defend anything they do, pandemic be dammed.

The worse shit is getting, the harder it gets to not be political on this forum. I wonder if the mods are more concerned about political arguments altogether or if they're just worried about partisan alienation. If the government is failing us, what difference does it make what party it is? Then again, a large portion of Americans feel like criticizing their guys are beyond reproach and will stop at nothing to defend anything they do, pandemic be dammed.
I mean at this point finger pointing doesn't matter. Hindsight will always be what it is. We will only be able to blame ourselves for being human and letting human nature get the best of here. From all the books that have been written or movies is this life imitating art or vice versa? The time for philosophical debates has come and gone. You can't trust the masses to do what's right for the masses. Shelter in place and remember to be kind to others. Mandates are coming on local and federal levels. It might be slow, but it will ramp up very quickly. Social media and electronic communications might slow for awhile because in addition to social distancing in real life, we may just be the biggest threat to each other by doing the very thing I'm doing now.

ahh, don't underestimate your fellow country men; most Americans I'm dealing with are intelligent, warm-hearted, witty and have a good sense of humour. Sure, you'll find the odd nutcase... but we have our fair share of those

So all of our stores are out of guns, ammo, and toilet paper because Americans are intelligent, warm-heated, witty and have a good sense of humor?

Have you seen what people here will do for a $149 flat screen on Black Friday?

My apologies for posting that. I assumed, wrongly perhaps, that the ship had sailed on the no political comments rule. To the admins., please delete if necessary.

I've been reading this thread to get a sense of how others are feeling, which is quite obvious now...like me, scared as shit, but also to get some facts from some very well informed people in the Fractal community. This thread has been a great summation of information. I think now though, I know what I need to know and that's to take this seriously and heed the warnings to distance myself and my family socially from others.

I think it's time to stick to the other threads and try and make life as normal as possible, by continuing my daily routine as best as possible, within the confines of my home and part of that routine of course, is continuing to play guitar on my Fractal gear, which gives me great comfort and joy.

'The band played on'

Last edited:
This is an unmitigated disaster. A true nightmare scenario now. Our so-called leaders completely botched this and now the world is on fire.
Well...when the so-called leaders prioritize their reputations and the holy dollar before lives, that's what you get. The pandemic numbers are clear evidence of those being the FIRST priority (in first critical weeks) vs. preparation and proactive measures that put lives and health as first priority above all. Only when it's too late or nearly too late do so-called leaders pivot to the second priority (with many doing so in an effort to rescue the first priority). IMO, YMMV, etc.

Last edited:
Here's why.

"Before Trump’s inauguration, a warning: ‘The worst influenza pandemic since 1918’"

"In a tabletop exercise days before an untested new president took power, officials briefed the incoming administration on a scenario remarkably like the one he faces now."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/...ario-pandemic-132797?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Oh - you mean the task force that was completely dismantled upon taking office?
Along with all the other government entities that we "didn't need"?
Like parts the USDA that had anything to do with science research ?
Stepping off my soapbox....

99ywc3g3gkn41.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom