Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
There are various Italian newspapers reporting that but I can't be 100% sure that's the case.
I see you're from germany so it should be easier for you to find out how the count of the victims is being done.
Couldn't you confirm or deny eventually?
Actually , yes, I’d prefer info from Europe rather than US...I’m in our “quarantine” zone so I’ve heard enough nationally , locally and on the ground (if you could )

Actually , yes, I’d prefer info from Europe rather than US...I’m in our “quarantine” zone so I’ve heard enough nationally , locally and on the ground (if you could )
Well, I'm from Europe too but given the language barriers info might be quite different between different countries.

But under the assumption that the virus and its effects are the same anywhere on this world the most logic explanation is that we Germans are testing more people. So more people are officially infected than in other countries where they might only be testing the severe cases and not every suspect.

This makes sense. The more people tested = the more people infected.
Those tested positive and being older with pre-existing conditions will be a lesser percentage over time.

This makes sense. The more people tested = the more people infected.
Those tested positive and being older with pre-existing conditions will be a lesser percentage over time.
That could make sense only if the numbers were not like they currently are.
Germany's death rate is currently ~0,2%, basically the same as the flu, I doubt that's realistic considering the numbers outside of Germany.
IMHO it makes a lot more sense what I said earlier.

I can't imagine the amount of money being lost worldwide. The power company announced they wouldn't be cutting electricity off for late payment atm. Most working people live paycheck to paycheck and those that lose weeks or months work because of this will spend the next year trying to get caught back up. :rolleyes:
There are some places really helping out - like you mentioned the power company. Also there are a bunch of cities who are not shutting off water on people so that's cool. Detroit and LLItch are trying to help out too:
https://www.wxyz.com/news/national/...s-at-ilitch-venues-where-events-were-canceled

Nice that some places are stepping up.

That could make sense only if the numbers were not like they currently are.
Germany's death rate is currently ~0,2%, basically the same as the flu, I doubt that's realistic considering the numbers outside of Germany.
IMHO it makes a lot more sense what I said earlier.

I think that the unrealistic numbers are the infection rates outside of Germany and probably even here they are way too low because only symptomatic people or people at a high risk of being infected are tested. Even some of those people are just told to quarantine themselves at home as long as they aren't severely sick.
One of the big differences between i.e. the flu and Covid is that you can be infectious without having any symptoms or only slight symptoms that are similar to a cold. All these people don't go see a doctor or get tested. They don't stay at home. They go to work.
When you have the flu you get sick really badly really quickly and isolate yourself at home because you can't go out anymore.

Canada just closed the borders to non Canadian citizens/residents. Exceptions, diplomats and family members, air crews and U.S. citizens. Closed all but 4 airports to international flights. Anyone with symptoms will not be allowed to board a flight to Canada.

Don’t think it’s enough, but I have to admit, it’s the first time I’ve seen Trudeau sound like a leader.

I think that the unrealistic numbers are the infection rates outside of Germany and probably even here they are way too low because only symptomatic people or people at a high risk of being infected are tested. Even some of those people are just told to quarantine themselves at home as long as they aren't severely sick.
One of the big differences between i.e. the flu and Covid is that you can be infectious without having any symptoms or only slight symptoms that are similar to a cold. All these people don't go see a doctor or get tested. They don't stay at home. They go to work.
When you have the flu you get sick really badly really quickly and isolate yourself at home because you can't go out anymore.
Really?? I get that your health system might be efficient but 30 times more efficient than Lombardia seems a bit too much to me, that's the proportion we're talking about here.
If German numbers were real, in Italy there should be ~700,000 cases instead of 23,000 to obtain a death rate of 0.2%
Does it seem realistic to you? Or is it more realistic that we just shouldn't trust data coming from a government that has been cheating on various things in the last weeks (for example by blocking the exportation of surgical masks, infringing all sorts of EU regulations, or, by all means, stealing a shipment of N95 masks coming from china and directed to Italy).

Sorry but I had to say it, I have nothing against you and German people in general, which are usually really nice guys (I also have a few friends there), but some of your government actions have been really weird lately and I wouldn't be surprised at all.

PS: it seems, thanks god, that the situation changed regarding what I said thanks to the intervention of the EU authorities

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...members-blocking-export-medical-supplies.html

Last edited:
Really?? I get that your health system might be efficient but 30 times more efficient than Lombardia seems a bit too much to me, that's the proportion we're talking about here.
If German numbers were real, in Italy there should be ~700,000 cases instead of 23,000 to obtain a death rate of 0.2%
Does it seem realistic to you? Or is it more realistic that we just shouldn't trust data coming from a government that has been cheating on various things in the last weeks (for example by blocking the exportation of surgical masks, infringing all sorts of EU regulations, or, by all means, stealing a shipment of N95 masks coming from china and directed to Italy).

Sorry but I had to say it, I have nothing against you and German people in general, which are usually really nice guys (I also have a few friends there), but some of your government actions have been really weird lately and I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Germany is said to have about three times the ICU capacities of Northern Italy.

I'm not saying that the german health system is a lot more efficient than the italian. And I'm also not saying that the german infection rate is correct (I think it's still way too low) but it may be a bit more realistic than in Italy. I'm assuming that the real rate of infections in Italy (and all the other countries with a high death rate) are even higher than known or made public. And that the real german rate is relatively low as of yet but more patients were tested than elsewhere, thus raising the official number compared those other countries.

Last edited:
Perhaps someone with better math skills than I can tell me how to calculate the mortality rate: I keep dividing deaths by total cases (the unknowns, the about to die, those that arent tested of course make this wrought with error but its what we have)

I get .04% mortality rate. My actual guess is it is lower because in USA, we have tested like 10k people, and most likely 200k have it. Im using numbers from above post 7073-deaths/179536-infected

There are various Italian newspapers reporting that but I can't be 100% sure that's the case.
I see you're from germany so it should be easier for you to find out how the count of the victims is being done.
Could you confirm or deny eventually?

PS: according to this article it was said by a WHO functionary.
https://www.ilgiornale.it/news/mond...mania-polemica-sul-conteggio-dei-1839392.html

It is a suspicion brought forward by the Fratelli d'Italia party. Fact is : hardly any other country than Italy tests all deceased people for Covid-19 and adds them to the count even if it's unclear whether they died because of it or not. Also, we're at the very beginning of the cycle and numbers will look more like the ones from Italy in a week or two according to the German health ministry..

Perhaps someone with better math skills than I can tell me how to calculate the mortality rate: I keep dividing deaths by total cases (the unknowns, the about to die, those that arent tested of course make this wrought with error but its what we have)

I get .04% mortality rate. My actual guess is it is lower because in USA, we have tested like 10k people, and most likely 200k have it. Im using numbers from above post 7073-deaths/179536-infected

Mortality = deaths caused by a disease / population
Lethality = deaths caused by a disease / cases of this disease

But many people use these terms wrong and say mortality when they mean lethality.

Fact is : hardly any other country than Italy tests all deceased people for Covid-19 and adds them to the count even if it's unclear whether they died because of it or not.

Which means that the number of deaths from Covid is probably overestimated since dying with it doesn't mean dying from it. Some people might not even have had any specific symptoms and died of a stroke or a heart attack or whatever instead.

Which means that the number of deaths from Covid is probably overestimated since dying with it doesn't mean dying from it. Some people might not even have had any specific symptoms and died of a stroke or a heart attack or whatever instead.
Due to complications from COVID though?

My mom texted me earlier today saying that my little sister is getting tested for COVID-19. When my sister and her husband got back from Brazil recently, she slept on the airport floor for some reason. She's been downplaying how bad she's been feeling until now. If she tests positive, that means my whole damn family has been exposed, excluding me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom