Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's NOT do this. Forum rules violation.
Agreed. Let's not.

If, in some other thread, we were to "do this," I'd want to add: It isn't just the current, last, and all prior U.S. admins. Every government with plausible means for doing so, is using those means whenever possible, to enable themselves to eavesdrop on whatever they can. (Some just have more means.) And I don't want to be eavesdropped-on, but I also hold that if my government weren't trying to do this (while being fully aware that every other government was), I would be actively furious at my government for unilaterally disarming in such a dumb way. In short: every tech company should be trying to make it impossible to eavesdrop on their customers' communications; and every individual should be covetous of his privacy; and, yes, every government should be trying to acquire the tech to crack the the bad guys' (but thus, implicitly, all the other non-bad guys') encryption. That's the world we live in, like it or not.

But this thread ain't about that.

Agreed. Let's not.

If, in some other thread, we were to "do this," I'd want to add: It isn't just the current, last, and all prior U.S. admins. Every government with plausible means for doing so, is using those means whenever possible, to enable themselves to eavesdrop on whatever they can. (Some just have more means.) And I don't want to be eavesdropped-on, but I also hold that if my government weren't trying to do this (while being fully aware that every other government was), I would be actively furious at my government for unilaterally disarming in such a dumb way. In short: every tech company should be trying to make it impossible to eavesdrop on their customers' communications; and every individual should be covetous of his privacy; and, yes, every government should be trying to acquire the tech to crack the the bad guys' (but thus, implicitly, all the other non-bad guys') encryption. That's the world we live in, like it or not.

But this thread ain't about that.

I'm 100% for eavesdropping and exposing everything. Lets start with all active government people, their employees and associates of them. Then we can move on to us scary people secrets. Wonder who really has something to hide?

I'm 100% for eavesdropping and exposing everything. Let's start with all active government people, their employees and associates of them. Then we can move on to us scary people secrets. Wonder who really has something to hide?
Heh. Totally agree.

Well...maybe not totally. The only drawback I can think of is, well, the kind of, uh, expressions of affection we were subjected to, decades ago, when Prince Charles' phone calls to Camilla were intercepted and transcripted. Bleah. It would be cringeworthy enough if you had to read the bad love poetry sent by your neighbor's teenaged son to his girlfriend. But if that's cringey, just wait for the ick factor when they publicize whatever some skeezy congresscritter is texting to his paramour. Bill Clinton and Katie Hill are what we get when we don't expose everything; if we do expose everything we'll know way more than we want to about Jerrold Nadler, Orrin Hatch, Bernice Johnson, all the nomination candidates from either party.... Bllleaahhh!

FWIW, I see no difference in the doubling rate between Italy (which has imposed a hardcore lockdown), and the UK, which is doing relatively little. In both places cases continue to double approximately every 3.5 days at this time. I'm sure it's psychologically better to be "doing something", but I don't see that "doing something" is actually helping, at least in Italy. I think a lockdown more strongly applied to at-risk populations (the elderly, those with comorbidities) would reduce the fatality rate overall, but it's not feasible to impose such a lockdown when lower risk populations are sucking the resources out of the system. Hence the UK strategy. The basic fact of the matter is, you can't maintain quarantine indefinitely (and once you lift it this shit starts anew), and you can't shut down the economy every time someone in China eats a bat. The solution to this will be technological, not social.

FWIW, I see no difference in the doubling rate between Italy (which has imposed a hardcore lockdown), and the UK, which is doing relatively little. In both places cases continue to double approximately every 3.5 days at this time. I'm sure it's psychologically better to be "doing something", but I don't see that "doing something" is actually helping, at least in Italy. I think a lockdown more strongly applied to at-risk populations (the elderly, those with comorbidities) would reduce the fatality rate overall, but it's not feasible to impose such a lockdown when lower risk populations are sucking the resources out of the system. Hence the UK strategy. The basic fact of the matter is, you can't maintain quarantine indefinitely (and once you lift it this shit starts anew), and you can't shut down the economy every time someone in China eats a bat. The solution to this will be technological, not social.

the data you see is lagging.

When China locked down the Wuhan region you didn't see that reflected in the numbers for a few days

FWIW, I see no difference in the doubling rate between Italy (which has imposed a hardcore lockdown), and the UK, which is doing relatively little.
locking down doesn't immediately change numbers. it takes time for someone to get sick even if they've caught it before lockdown. it's possible someone caught it before lockdown, and hasn't gotten sick just yet, but will. the lockdown will prevent that person from spreading it to others when they're showing symptoms 14 days or more after the lockdown took place.

it will probably take 2 weeks or more to show results of the lockdown. this is what we're seeing from numbers in China and South Korea.

places in the US are locking down areas in various ways, and all of that will help reduce the spread. it takes time for numbers to develop. the public needs to understand that and not expect changes from 1 night of bars being closed.

we need to reduce the spread. being in crowded airports or bars is not the way to do that.

FWIW, I see no difference in the doubling rate between Italy (which has imposed a hardcore lockdown), and the UK, which is doing relatively little. In both places cases continue to double approximately every 3.5 days at this time. I'm sure it's psychologically better to be "doing something", but I don't see that "doing something" is actually helping, at least in Italy.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/help-the-fight-against-covid-19.159129/page-39#post-1905837

FWIW, I live in Wuhan, WA. :) Other than school closures and tech employees working from home I see no evidence of any "lockdown". People are going about their business, parking lots are full, there's traffic. Restaurants are fucked though, but that's not lockdown. People just don't eat out.

Even if a full lockdown could be imposed (which it can't be, since people will starve), eventually it'll have to be lifted, at which point you're in for another ride on this merry-go-round. This is something we're going to confirm over the next few weeks in China as they restart factories and such.

Even if a full lockdown could be imposed (which it can't be, since people will starve), eventually it'll have to be lifted, at which point you're in for another ride on this merry-go-round. This is something we're going to confirm over the next few weeks in China as they restart factories and such.

Seems that's common knowledge. It's never been about stopping or preventing, just slowing as to not overwhelm the systems in place that care for people who need it. The strategy wont save everyone, but it's a hell of a lot better than the alternatives.

I saw a meme today that said something along the lines of, "Your grandparents were called to war. You're being called on to sit on your couch. You can do this." Sums it up pretty well.

I paused my folding after a few day's worth cus my server (which usually does nothing) was heating up our home a little too much, and I feared the anger of our landlord who gives us a flat rate on electricity. But ran it for a bit today, and I see I got a Coronavirus Project 11742. Some Coronavirus projects have been available: https://foldingathome.org/2020/03/10/covid19-update/

From a firefighter buddy back east:
(nice simple way to explain it)

89993271_2639154496207781_4646765924026679296_n.jpg

The nationwide curfew is coming and mandatory restaurant/bar/malls/movie theaters closing is slowly spreading county by county. Many grade schools are already being shut down for a month. All domestic flights will be cancelled soon. It might seem gradual right now, but it will be very abrupt soon. People have been given a decent warning the past week to prepare if they've been even remotely paying attention regardless of your favorite cable news station. A UPS employee on another forum was told to be prepared to halt all package handling and transportation at some point in the near future. Medical supplies will be given the priority. So, you know, as you're tracking your Amazon packages and it says "Arrival Scan etc" don't be shocked if that next "Departure Scan" or "Out for delivery" doesn't come for awhile!

i wish everyone could see this so we all have the same information. a customer today said if you outside and tan so you become hot, it will kill the virus. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom