Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately there are still a LOT of people that think this is not serious and are continuing with life as usual. They are in for a very rude awakening over the next couple weeks.

Last week was when things got real. This week is when panic will set in. Some will learn of friends, acquaintances or family members who have become infected. Some will die. News will leak out about all the field hospitals being constructed and quarantine camps. Worldwide death toll will surpass 20K. Stock market will plunge another 20%.

This is a pandemic. Plain and simple. It will kill thousands, perhaps millions unless it is taken seriously. It may already be too late. The 1968 flu pandemic killed 1M. The Spanish flu killed upwards of 50M, maybe more. Statistically this disease is as serious as both of those, maybe worse. WAKE UP!
We as a species are actually dumber than 1918. At least then the Dunning-Krueger Effect wasn’t amplified by the internet’s ability to deliver just enough information to make a stupid person think they know everything there is to know about a subject.
After the last four years of biology undergraduate (including a concentration in virology, DNA, RNA, protein-protein interactions, genetic analysis, microbiology and so on) and a year of medical school, I know about half a percent of what real experts know. That’s what education is supposed to do - show you how much more there still is to know. That doesn’t seem to matter anymore

Our compact with the devil has come due.

For years the uber-wealthy have chased profit at the expense of security and self-reliance. Instead of making things domestically we've transferred nearly all means of production to areas with low wages and lax environmental laws. The impetus was nothing more than simple greed. And the average American didn't benefit a bit. Wages are stagnant and the middle class has been hollowed out. Meanwhile these globalists are more wealthy than ever, with wealth disparity nearing proportions not seen since before the Great Depression.

Now we are caught without even being able to produce simple test kits to test for a virus, not enough masks for hospital workers and a looming shortage of pharmaceuticals. We put our means of production into the hands of a country whose government ideology is diametrically opposite our own.

I tried for years to buck the trend and produce domestically but it became impossible. Most of the vendors simply closed shop. The ones that remained weren't competitive and all our competitors were building in China giving them a cost advantage. Reluctantly I followed suit. I've benefited personally I suppose.

I hope the global elite are happy with what they've created. They're probably all safe and sound in their bunkers in New Zealand.

This should be the wallpaper in the halls of Congress.

I just spoke to my brother who is an OR nurse and the doctors have postponed nearly all elective surgeries. The majority of their supplies come from China and they are having trouble getting basic supplies like masks and gloves.

The freight forwarder who my wife's company uses has shut down for two weeks.
Looks like supply chains are going to go the social distancing route now too.
Good as long as it's not essentials.

Unfortunately there are still a LOT of people that think this is not serious and are continuing with life as usual. They are in for a very rude awakening over the next couple weeks.

Last week was when things got real. This week is when panic will set in. Some will learn of friends, acquaintances or family members who have become infected. Some will die. News will leak out about all the field hospitals being constructed and quarantine camps. Worldwide death toll will surpass 20K. Stock market will plunge another 20%.

This is a pandemic. Plain and simple. It will kill thousands, perhaps millions unless it is taken seriously. It may already be too late. The 1968 flu pandemic killed 1M. The Spanish flu killed upwards of 50M, maybe more. Statistically this disease is as serious as both of those, maybe worse. WAKE UP!

I will hope that you are wrong here.

Although I will argue that panic has already set in for most people. I went to a Sam's Club, and walked right back out. The lines were out of control, and all the carts were over full (several people had 2 or 3 carts full.). And I just wanted to get some Bacon.

-R

I will hope that you are wrong here.

Although I will argue that panic has already set in for most people. I went to a Sam's Club, and walked right back out. The lines were out of control, and all the carts were over full (several people had 2 or 3 carts full.). And I just wanted to get some Bacon.

-R

I've been wanting to get to Costco for a TV since I put the mount up in my studio room last week. Every day, the stories I'm hearing have kept me from heading down. Someone local posted a picture of 1000+ people waiting to get into Costco yesterday morning before they opened. Meanwhile, my local grocery store is fully stocked.

I might try going right near closing this evening.

I've been wanting to get to Costco for a TV since I put the mount up in my studio room last week. Every day, the stories I'm hearing have kept me from heading down. Someone local posted a picture of 1000+ people waiting to get into Costco yesterday morning before they opened. Meanwhile, my local grocery store is fully stocked.

I might try going right near closing this evening.

Can you buy it online and just pop in to pick it up, just before they close? Not sure it would be any faster, but it may save you some time not having to pay for it in the store. Just a thought. :)

The #coronavirus in Italy

Day1 14cases/1dead
76/2
153/3
231/7
374/12
528/17
821/21
1128/29
1577/34
Day10 1835/52
2263/79
2706/107
3296/148
3916/197
5061/233
6387/366
7985/463
8514/631
10590/827
Day20 12839/1015
14955/1266
17750/1441
20603/1809

10% recover
125k test
101k negat.

Italy sees it's biggest one-day increase in coronavirus cases. Health officials say 3,590 more cases were reported Sunday, bringing the country's total to 24,747. The number of deaths rose 368 to 1,809.

I am German. I live in the South West, the smallest federal state of Germany, the Saarland. It is one of the least affected areas, yesterday "only" 40 confirmed cases.

Schools, kindergartens, sports events, body gyms, pools, clubs, everything is closed for the next 5 weeks minimum. Visiting times to hospitals have been limited, visits to senior homes partly even forbidden. The government is definitely trying to slow it down as much as possible to not get the health system overloaded.

And the borders to Grand-Est are officially closed. At least on Paper.
University is still open though ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom