Help! Noise issue with new FM3

Try backing Master Volume down to 3 or so. That'll clean up some of the junk. As a side benefit, it also tightens up the tone. Make up any volume loss with the Level parameter.

I'm not sure the boost is buying you much, either. You'd get even less noise with it off.
Where you able to replicate the issue on the palm mutes?

Yes, but not at the same intensity. The changes I posted about above improved the situation significantly.
Hmm yeah I tried all of that and it’s still definitely there. If I tighten the threshold it helps but then it makes it sounds kinda muffled as it decays as well.

Yes, but not at the same intensity. The changes I posted about above improved the situation significantly.
So did turning off the gates, turning to find the miminum interference, then turning the gate back on. Quieter yet.

Not really. Still just as audible. Guitar is quiet for the most part. Until I do anything with mutes or I’m playing and I stop. I’ll hear that noise for a moment or two and then it cuts off.

Not really. Still just as audible. Guitar is quiet for the most part. Until I do anything with mutes or I’m playing and I stop. I’ll hear that noise for a moment or two and then it cuts off.
And when you turn off the gate altogether, that noise comes on and stays on?

heres one of the presets

I have tried your preset, and removed the noise gate (noise shall be evaluated without noise gate. Once it is minimized, then you add the minimum thresold and ratio neccesary to bring it down)

It is very noisy if I am close to the laptop

It is noisy if I move away from the laptop

The noise is of acceptable level if I move to the spot at my room with less interference

That behavior is normal for a high gain setting (either with a modeler or with a real amp). There is nothing wrong with the preset or with the FM3

Last edited:
Using my normal humbucking equipped strat there's never been this noise. On the single coils, there's an average amount of single coil noise as expected, but I play in the between setting anyways, so it doesn't matter to me.

However, my P90 equipped es-339 has the same issue you described. Huge amounts of noise on note decay, with any amount of gain. I can confirm with OP that it's not something with the unit or settings, but either a guitar with improper shielding (very possible in my case, I've been shocked by it and know there's some wiring mess inside of it that screws the switching and pots occasionally, a dose of Deoxit seems to help however), or a source of EMI/RF (also possible in my case, very old house with a mess of electrics, and I run Ethernet over power line which likely doesn't help).

When I get home I'll try a few things, disconnecting Ethernet from my computer/USB from the Axe, moving around the room with the guitar, testing the outlets with the tool above, and experimenting with grounding. I'll post an update.

I've just been asked by a member of our support team to look again at this case.

For the sake of others reading this energetic thread, I feel that I should share my opinion that the noise I heard in the video in the original post sounds fairly reasonable to me -- like the kind of noise that any overdriven amp would make with normal guitar pickups in a normal home. (I don't say "old home" because in fact, I've heard far worse noise in newer homes.) Now, it's just two videos, but I don't hear any overbearing ground loop problems, nor the buzz of dimmers or fluorescents, nor cell phone chatter, nor the very present "whistle" that some computers will contribute. Just the normal noise of a guitar through a distorted amp. (Maybe a little extra "whine"?)

To put what I called "normal" noise into perspective, I offer this: quite a lot of the pros I support work with must deal with -- and will even some times be forced to record with -- noise that's quite a bit worse than what I heard on the videos. This is true of real amps. As for this being a "new" problem for the OP, I suspect the FM3, being a more accurate recreation of a real multi-stage gainy amp, is producing the same noise that an amp would. If other devices don't do this, one might consider the dramatically improved amp tone and feel of the FM3 to offset this.

The other suggestions here are still viable: one should strive to eliminate noise from the environment, and to do everything possible to make sure that each guitar is itself as quiet as possible. Remember that even in a perfect environment, Humbuckers are not completely noise free, especially those which are asymmetrical or "offset" wound. Also consider the pickups. There is also an entire niche of quiet or "noiseless" pickups. EMG, Fishman, Kinman, and many more have made great strides in this area. If you're extremely sensitive to noise, this may be a good thing to look into.

As always, I'm here to help and will do all I can to help each customer find satisfaction with our products.

Last edited:
A couple of things...

a) If running a ground, it's best to ground to where the power from the utility grounds coming into the house (get a pro if you don't know what you're doing around power!).

b) Note that your IT provider might have a different ground, so you should likely ground your cable/fiber modem yourself (to "a" above), as I've seen potential between Comcast and PG&E before in my noisy old house which proper grounding cured. This can be an issue if using a computer based DAW etc.

c) Star grounding, i.e. everything audio related grounds to "a" above, i.e. all audio stuff on a single circuit which grounds to "a" above.

Proper grounding should minimize, though depending on how the power is run in the floors/ceiling/walls, there could still be noise, especially in single coils and to a lessor degree in asymmetrically wound humbuckers (vintage PAF styles etc).

d) With the AXEIII/FM3. the Intelligent or Noise Reducer Input Noise Gate settings can help minimize RF/EMI...

Gate Type – The “CLASSIC” type simply opens and closes like a typical gate pedal. The “INTELLIGENT” and “NOISE REDUCER” types uses smart filtering to make the gating effect less obvious, improve note attack, and filter EMI to reduce hum and buzz. For best results, set AC Line Frequency in the Global menu under Settings to match the actual line frequency of in your reg

Last edited:
I've just been asked by a member of our support team to look again at this case.

For the sake of others reading this energetic thread, I feel that I should share my opinion that the noise I heard in the video in the original post sounds fairly reasonable to me -- like the kind of noise that any overdriven amp would make with normal guitar pickups in a normal home. (I don't say "old home" because in fact, I've heard far worse noise in newer homes.) Now, it's just two videos, but I don't hear any overbearing ground loop problems, nor the buzz of dimmers or fluorescents, nor cell phone chatter, nor the very present "whistle" that some computers will contribute. Just the normal noise of a guitar through a distorted amp. (Maybe a little extra "whine"?)

To put what I called "normal" noise into perspective, I offer this: quite a lot of the pros I support work with must deal with -- and will even some times be forced to record with -- noise that's quite a bit worse than what I heard on the videos. This is true of real amps. As for this being a "new" problem for the OP, I suspect the FM3, being a more accurate recreation of a real multi-stage gainy amp, is producing the same noise that an amp would. If other devices don't do this, one might consider the dramatically improved amp tone and feel of the FM3 to offset this.

The other suggestions here are still viable: one should strive to eliminate noise from the environment, and to do everything possible to make sure that each guitar is itself as quiet as possible. Remember that even in a perfect environment, Humbuckers are not completely noise free, especially those which are asymmetrical or "offset" wound. Also consider the pickups. There is also an entire niche of quiet or "noiseless" pickups. EMG, Fishman, Kinman, and many more have made great strides in this area. If you're extremely sensitive to noise, this may be a good thing to look into.

As always, I'm here to help and will do all I can to help each customer find satisfaction with our products.
The guitar is quiet with the gate on the inly
Time it makes noise is on the decay of mutes notes or palm mutes. That’s the only issue I’m having. I can’t get a clean decay no matter what gate setting I use other than that it’s quiet.

Back
Top Bottom