HELP! Axe wont power up and all the lights are on

I know support is sending a new EPROM and I hate to dampen your enthusiasm but I don't think that's the problem. If it worked after the firmware upgrade and then suddenly stopped it points to something else. If it's a very old unit, and was shipped via air, then it may be a dead oscillator. We had a problem on early units where the oscillators weren't sealed properly. Shipping via air exacerbated their demise due to the pressure drop causing contaminants to be sucked in. These were Connor-Winfield parts which are supposedly high quality but they had just moved their manufacturing to China. We switched to ECS since then.

rsf1977 said:
i wish line 6 made a cabinet emulation pedal so i could use my Line 6 Uber Metal Pedal into a cab emulation

Just get a direct box like a palmer, h&K red box, or even behringer w/ a built in cab emulator.

While waiting on your firmware, give this a shot:

turn off the power switch on the axe-fx.
While holding down any one of the round buttons, turn the power switch back on. See if that brings you back on.
I had this happen to me ages ago, and it cleared my problem. I had read this solution on the old discussion board.
For me, it was possibly due to downloading a bad patch, but could possibly clear up your problem because those were my symptoms as well.

Hi,

The exactly same thing happened to me after update to version 8.05. I contacted Fractal Audio and I have been told that I have ship the unit for repair. I have not done anything wrong. I have simply updated to newer version, played for about 1 hr, and the next day when I have turn on my Axe all lights up like on your picture. I think Fractal Audio should investigate it and do something about it. My warranty expired about 3 months ago and now I will have to pay for the repair and shipping but I haven't done anything wrong.

Thanks,

Marius

Newbie owner here - still on 7.18 as delivered.

Gotta say folks - discussions like this really scare me off of doing firmware updates. Particularly since I'm not in the US.

Tried this, but nothing worked:
1. Hold down Recall while powering on. Continue to hold for five seconds.
2. Remove the battery, wait 30 seconds and then reinstall

I'm really worried here, I don't wanna send my unit all the way to the us - it will take forever and propobly cost me lots of money

Rezonans said:
Hi,

The exactly same thing happened to me after update to version 8.05. I contacted Fractal Audio and I have been told that I have ship the unit for repair. I have not done anything wrong. I have simply updated to newer version, played for about 1 hr, and the next day when I have turn on my Axe all lights up like on your picture. I think Fractal Audio should investigate it and do something about it. My warranty expired about 3 months ago and now I will have to pay for the repair and shipping but I haven't done anything wrong.

Thanks,

Marius

If your unit is only 15 months old than it isn't one of the affected units. Those units were produced in early 2007 and there were only a couple dozen or so made with that oscillator.

Hi All,

Thank you Cliff very much for your response to this matter. The Fractal support is the best I have ever deal with.

BIG THANKS,

Marius

In the Netherlands the law is that the supplier (shopkeeper, the one you've had the dealings with, my case G66) is obligated to repair or replace the unit for as long as is a reasonable life expectancy of the unit. Barring misuse or the usual wearing out of parts that is reasonably within expectations. So, as long as you've done nothing wrong, the supplier is supposed to repair or replace the unit free of charge or refund your money. That is the law, and that supersedes anything written in the warranty agreement about limiting those rights. Funny is that the manufacturer is only responsible for the warranty in his terms, but the salescompany is responsible for the rest of the term. For as long as that company is around. Long live G66!

It can be reasonable to be asked to pay an amount for replacement or repair if you've had the use of the item for an extended time (well beyond usual warranty terms of course).
Not sure about the shipping cost, though.

Now there are grey areas in the above, of course. Like what is a reasonably life expectancy and what is reasonable wear on parts. We can however make a case for musical equipment having quite a long life expectancy in ordinary circumstances and there isn't much that can wear out on the Axe that can't be repaired pretty easily. Pots. Encoder. Jackplugs. That's about it.

Also I'm not sure about how that works with international dealings. It might be German law I'd have to deal with if me and G66 would ever get into conflict and I don't know about that.

Rezonans said:
Hi All,

Thank you Cliff very much for your response to this matter. The Fractal support is the best I have ever deal with.

BIG THANKS,

Marius
+1!!
I'm really proud to use my Ultra because of the quality AND because of the support.
Cliff, please, continue like that!...

Good to know!

How about making some backup EPROMs available for purchase? Seems to be the fastest solution for botched updates.

GummiTZ said:
Good to know!

How about making some backup EPROMs available for purchase? Seems to be the fastest solution for botched updates.

+1. My Ultra does the exact same thing. Usually on the second reboot though it's fine. Still, that's not cool for something that's aimed at the professional market. Every time I turn my Ultra on I'm just hoping it's going to boot fine. I'd love to get rid of this issue!

So I just got my AXE fx last week and obviously haven't done any updates or had any problems but I would like to know how much it would cost to have an extra EPROM? Anyone know a price?

rdomain said:
GummiTZ said:
Good to know!

+1. My Ultra does the exact same thing. Usually on the second reboot though it's fine. Still, that's not cool for something that's aimed at the professional market. Every time I turn my Ultra on I'm just hoping it's going to boot fine. I'd love to get rid of this issue!

That probably isn't the EEPROM. Usually if it is the EEPROM, it will either work or not.Contact support.

Surely someone knows what one of these would cost?? Also most of the problems that I see are strictly related to updating filmware. Has anyone ever had trouble just editing the standard presets. I've only had mine about a week and I'm about ready to start making a few changes to the presets that I like the most and wanted to check. I could live with enough of them as is to be satisfied with the product. From what I hear though the real magic starts happening when you dial them in. I'm sure this is coverd but since I have a standard, I should be able to copy a preset (say preset 0 to a blank spot at 300) then edit it at 300 to what I wan't while leaving preset 0 the way it came from the factory?

Dude, definitely do your own patches. I don't use any stock presets. Use them as a starting base but definitely do your own. That's what the AxeFX is all about! (or use them to learn what you like or how to do things if you're not sure. And yeah, you're able to copy patch 1 to 300 or whatever. No probs. You can even delete over the preset entirely and upload it later via the editor. Anyway, back on topic :D

Back
Top Bottom