Helix Native

Rico

Helix Native

Looks interesting

Helix Native promises to emulate the sound and feel of vintage tube amps, cabs, mics and effects, and is powered by Line 6's HX modelling engine. The company says: "Patches created in the Helix Native plugin are compatible with physical Helix hardware, so guitarists can effortlessly take their Helix tones from studio to stage and back again."

The clean-looking UI has been designed with a fast tone editing workflow in mind, and works seamlessly with the Helix hardware editor. Third-party impulse responses are also supported.

"Our 20-year legacy of modelling expertise has led us to create the highest level of realism ever available in a guitar plug-in," said Marcus Ryle, President, Line 6. "Guitarists worldwide use Helix to create inspiring guitar tones and push the bounds of their creativity. With Helix Native, guitarists and engineers can bring the same powerful tone creation workflow to their DAW of choice."

Helix Native will be released in the spring priced at $399, though there'll be special pricing for Helix, Helix Rack and POD Farm owners, and a 15-day demo version will be available, too. It'll be offered in VST/AU/AAX formats for PC and Mac.

If it's as good as the Helix hardware unit, then this is definitely a game-changer. I'll be checking out the demo as soon as they make it available. May end up ditching my Axe-Fx II :eek: for an easier workflow, since I'm only a bedroom studio player.

If it's as good as the Helix hardware unit, then this is definitely a game-changer. I'll be checking out the demo as soon as they make it available. May end up ditching my Axe-Fx II :eek: for an easier workflow, since I'm only a bedroom studio player.

How easier does it need to be with Axe Edit?

I would never sell my axe fx. I can make IR`s with it.. i can TM (Tone Match) with it.

But i might get a Helix one day. Looks like a fun toy,to have. Just like the Axe Fx,is fun

to me, their tones aren't as clear or hi-def, compared to Fractal sounds I use.

in all fairness, I haven't heard the new Helix stuff yet, so maybe I shouldn't rip on Line6.

as you were...

I have an AxeFx and I love it, I tried the Helix when it first came out because a friend had one, it was very good but not as good as the AxeFx, I have recently heard it again since it has had some updates and I was pretty impressed, was it as good as the AxeFx, I would say just different, it had something of it's own, as does the AxeFx, would I swap my AxeFx for the Helix, NO, but would I buy this Helix native software if it sounded exactly the same as the hardware, definitely YES. would I by an AxeFx Native, OH YES.

I think this is an exciting development.

Since Line 6 is now owned by Yamaha, I imagine any financial and intellectual property risks they've opened themselves up to via piracy will be easily absorbed for the pay off of increased market share in the plugin arena.

It will be very interesting to see if and how Fractal respond to the inevitable upsurge in requests for a native Axe-Fx plugin. The risk is far higher for a smaller, independent company.

Competition=Better products for us, the end users.
Both FAS and Line6 have made great strides in the last year, no doubt influencing each other to improve.
The latest Helix announcements put the Ball in Fractal's court, and the hints that Cliff has dropped in the past about the eventuality of an AxeFx plugin may now take on a new urgency.
Whatever, nice time to be a guitarist with a few xtra bucks to spend. :):)

Afaik, the Axe family is meant to be tools for live performances so I don't think a plug-in would be considered competition.

Back
Top Bottom