Helix Native

I'm curious about it ...

So WITHOUT comparing to the Axe FX ... because to me the Axe is my #1, #2, and #3 choice ...

But has anyone compared Helix Native to Amplitube 4? I was about to purchase Amplitube just to have a quick, easy reamping plugin ... also in case I ever wanted to mess around with guitar tracks while traveling.

So, the Axe is KING to me ...

But what might be the QUEEN (or Court Jester) currently? Would anyone pick Amplitube 4 over Helix Native? (Pretend they are the same price...)

Last edited:
I'm curious about it ...

So WITHOUT comparing to the Axe FX ... because to me the Axe is my #1, #2, and #3 choice ...

But has anyone compared Helix Native to Amplitube 4?
May have to send more time with Helix Native, but I actually prefer Amplitube 4 (especially the newer Marshall and Mesa models).

I don't know if this can be done but does anyone know how I can use the axe as just a DI? When I live monitor through reaper using the helix plugin I still hear my clean single (currently using preset 767 - Bypass).

I'm mostly curious about the bass stuff I've been hearing about with the helix, not switching sides any time soon though haha. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: For instance is there anyway to mute the signal going direct from the axe to my studio monitors while retaining the signal being sent to reaper allowing for only the live monitored and plug-in included sound to play?

Last edited:
really wanted to try the demo version last night, for some reason it didn't work on my 2 PCs without different DAWs.

I don't know if this can be done but does anyone know how I can use the axe as just a DI? When I live monitor through reaper using the helix plugin I still hear my clean single (currently using preset 767 - Bypass).

I'm mostly curious about the bass stuff I've been hearing about with the helix, not switching sides any time soon though haha. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit: For instance is there anyway to mute the signal going direct from the axe to my studio monitors while retaining the signal being sent to reaper allowing for only the live monitored and plug-in included sound to play?

It sounds like your audio interface live monitoring is enabled.

I'm curious about it ...

But has anyone compared Helix Native to Amplitube 4? I was about to purchase Amplitube just to have a quick, easy reamping plugin ... also in case I ever wanted to mess around with guitar tracks while traveling.

So, the Axe is KING to me ...

But what might be the QUEEN (or Court Jester) currently? Would anyone pick Amplitube 4 over Helix Native? (Pretend they are the same price...)

There are demos for Amplitube 4 and Helix Native. Why not try both?

I'm demoing it now.

I think the bass stuff is good, plenty of choice plus very easy to dial in.

For guitar I'm not enjoying the feel of the high gain models as much as my Axe FX, but the sounds are usable. My favourite model is the Archon. I think the Rectifier is a bit tame to be honest, in terms of response it's not got that big low end punch you'd expect. The sound is decent. Overall definitely prefer Fractal 6505/Recto tones and feel.

I don't like the UI, too much scrolling, but they are going to include window re-sizing in an update which will help a lot. I don't like the sliders vs dials but appreciate they are keeping the UI in line with the hardware.

Right now undecided re: purchase. Need to try the mid gain and clean guitar sounds, right now I have a strong preference to Fractal for high gain amps.

For bass I think the Helix plugin is totally worth a look.

I'm really impressed with the Helix Native. I set it up so that it uses my Axe-Fx 2 in bypass mode as an audio interface for the highest quality and easy A/B with the Helix. Using a pair of Genelec M040 speakers and Helix Native loaded in Savihost.

I tried setting up one of my Axe-Fx 2 patches on the Helix, a fairly simple jumpered Marshall 100W Plexi patch. Added the same Ownhammer IR on both and replicated the Axe-Fx 2 amp settings as best as I could. With the same values, the Helix had a lot more gain so I had to back it a couple of units to come closer to the Axe.

Switching between the two they were really close when using the same IR. I would be happy with either. I still feel the Axe has a slight edge in tone but I don't think I could tell if you blinded me and let me play thru each randomly. I need to test it further to figure out if I can find any real differences. I did not like the stock cab sims on the Helix Native but maybe I need to tweak them more.

As far as UI goes the Helix Native is pretty good but I still prefer Axe-Edit. CPU usage was impressively low, only about 5-8% on a i5-6600K @ 4.6 GHz though the patch I built was not very complex.

Switching between the two they were really close when using the same IR. I would be happy with either. I still feel the Axe has a slight edge in tone but I don't think I could tell if you blinded me and let me play thru each randomly. I need to test it further to figure out if I can find any real differences.

One big difference is the level of noise associated with some amp models in Native. They're a lot noisier than the models in the Axe. For instance, compare the level of noise in the Peavey 5150 and Soldano 100 models in both Axe and Native.

It sounds like your audio interface live monitoring is enabled.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm using the axe as my audio interface haha. I'm using the usb connection to my computer.

I guess what I'm asking is there a way to hear only the helix processed sound not the original clean/direct axe fx one with the USB connection. I don't think you can but I was asking just in case there was a way to do this I wasn't thinking of.

Hope that makes more sense.

You OS might be 64-bit, but are you sure your DAW is? My main DAW runs fine on (64-bit) Windows 7, but only supports 32-bit operation.

Yes. I am aware of that. the DAW is 64 bit as well. The DAW detects the VST. but when I try to open it, the entire thing crashes or does not respond (On different daws). I think it's a bug since I've seen some other messages in line6 forum as well.

I think Hell just froze over. Glenn seems to, well, not dislike it. And he hates Line6 so much he bought a Spyder just to smash it up.

I think Hell just froze over. Glenn seems to, well, not dislike it. And he hates Line6 so much he bought a Spyder just to smash it up.

The question is, why didn't he pit samples of Native against a real amp (a la Axe FX and Kemper) rather than Line 6's Spider?

For anyone interested here's a comparison between the AX8, Amplitube and Helix native Recto model. Same reamped track, same IR and signal chain. The Helix has a noticable "fizziness" that makes it sound more like a modeler IMO.

Excellent video, bro.

At first, I thought I liked 1st clip the best. However, after rocking back and forth between all of them, I seemed to prefer the 2nd clip.

My analysis:

1st Clip - Had more beef and definition to it.
2nd Clip - Had more mid-range bite to it.
3rd Clip - Similar to 1st clip, but less defined and more fizz.
4th Clip - Sounded good. Very similar to the 1st clip.

Was going to ask you when the reveal would be, then I minimized out of fullscreen and saw your video's description! Looks like I preferred Amplitube (Holy crap!). However, the AX8 sounded just as good, but just different.

Did you leave amp settings for all at default? Or did you tweak to try to get them to sound similar?

Back
Top Bottom