Helix Native

I disagree. I think the Helix unit sounds really good. I already own an Axe-Fx II, but I'd be just as happy with either.
1ke6x2.jpg

Always a good opportunity for a Zoidberg reference. Seriously, though. If you'd be happy with either, then do whatever. I've heard all the side-by-sides in the world and the Helix is the obvious fakeroo sounding box every single time.

I have tried both the AxeFx and Helix side by side for a couple of weeks and they are both very good, the AxeFx just pips the Helix sound wise but the Helix UI is fantastic, either can sound great with the right IR's, I actually really love Scuffham as well.

I have sold both my AxeFx's now and will be using software in the studio, I have found I can get fantastic results this way, I will definitely get the Helix plugin, and the next hardware I get will depend on if there is a plugin version, if fractal bring a Plugin out then I will invest in the fractal floor hardware, altho I would really hope for a better design than the current one (AX8 V1) if I am to pay that price, after experiencing what the helix can do, I still prefer the fractal amps over the rest and still want to support them but that's just the way it is.

1ke6x2.jpg

Always a good opportunity for a Zoidberg reference. Seriously, though. If you'd be happy with either, then do whatever. I've heard all the side-by-sides in the world and the Helix is the obvious fakeroo sounding box every single time.

I do agree the Axe Fx is better sounding. However, the Helix sounds very good. The point here is for $400, you could get an incredible sound, that blows away other plug ins. I owned both the Helix and the Axe, and I just think that when the Helix native drops, its going to clean up house with all those people who wish they had the money for an Axe Fx. The marketing platform, and customer support push that Line 6 is clearly trying to lead on, is definitely going to catch a lot of people that would rather use an Axe Fx plug in if it was available.

From hardware comparison, considering DSP, helix and Ax8 have the same SHARC DSPs so if a regular Mac (or why not an iPad Pro) could run Helix Native, I think Cliff could easily port Ax8 Native. And why not AxeFX 2 with "performance" mode and "processing" mode for studio with extra calculation time. Cliff said that if you what to increase audio quality in AxeFx, doubling the power only result by 10% better quality... So we could expect quality that could never been heard with our AxeFX II XL+ units in real time with extra processing ;)

Do Eventide and Lexicon provide 25€ plug-ins to replace their hardware? I only know of Lexicon providing a plug-in to tie in the hardware unit via its digital interface.

Yes. Lexicon PCM reverbs and effects have native plugins. Eventide have released many of their algorithms in plugin form. Nice reverbs including the H8000 BlackHole and others.

Lexicon (Harmon) haven't touched the PCM stuff in years. Eventide is releasing new plugs all the time.

From hardware comparison, considering DSP, helix and Ax8 have the same SHARC DSPs so if a regular Mac (or why not an iPad Pro) could run Helix Native, I think Cliff could easily port Ax8 Native. And why not AxeFX 2 with "performance" mode and "processing" mode for studio with extra calculation time. Cliff said that if you what to increase audio quality in AxeFx, doubling the power only result by 10% better quality... So we could expect quality that could never been heard with our AxeFX II XL+ units in real time with extra processing ;)
I'd bet money they already have it running in the lab.

I may hold out for an Axe-Fx plugin, but I'm seriously considering jumping ship. This is based on both units sounding great, but the new Helix Native tips the scales for me. I don't play live, only do studio work. This would be super convenient. A Helix rack with the plugin is looking very tempting, right now.

Anyone tried it yet? I'm downloading the free trial, curious to hear it.

Last edited:
YES. For a 1.0 plugin, I think it is fairly impressive. It will be most valuable to Helix hardware owners with its preset compatibility between hardware and software. With proper settings in Logic, the latency is almost unnoticeable. What I really enjoyed is the ease in which I can now use all my FAS IRs using Cab Lab plugin, to add Fractal goodness to the helix amp tones..........

Anyone tried it yet?

Anyone tried it yet?
There's a 15 day trial available so you can try it yourself.

I expect to see many fanboys here to declare its inferiority using meaningless words like "digital," but I encourage you to check it out with an open mind and make your own decision. Certainly it's pro-level sound and has unquestionably great support behind it, but everyone has their preference for the products they choose.

Firing it up now. Pretty impressed at the UI, really easy to get tones happening. Bumped a few Ownhammer IR's in and created a few basic presets, and it reminds me of the exact experience I had trying a Helix. Some great clean/mild OD tones and some really good high gain tones that overall have a slightly different voice to the Fractal models.

Does what it says on the tin!

EDIT - here's a clip. Hard to justify $399 for a plugin when I have the AX8 to record with, but the convenient reamping is nice.

Last edited:
I just tried the trial and I'm pretty impressed. The pricing of 399$ is too high for the couple amps they have though. They are missing some major popular amps. I'd pay maybe 150$ for the current offering. If they manage to add a lot more amps, then yeah 399$ makes sense.
Tone wise, it might make me switch. In a mix, no one will be able to tell the difference between the helix and the Axe FX.

For live use or to play with, it's something else, but to reamp, the helix is good enough.

The other issue I have is there's no standalone option if you just want to jam. You have to fire up your daw.

I like the option to automatically match a cab to an amp. I don't know all the amps so I don't necesserally know what cab pairs good with it. With a simple click I can pick an amp with a matching cab.

Last edited:
Honestly, I am super underwhelmed with it right now... I have only had limited time with it but I was predisposed to liking it. I have been using home plugins for practice a lot for the last 6. Months or so rather than connecting the Axe, etc. Have been using TH3, Bias, Thermionik, and AmpliTube... have been getting sounds solid/enjoyable enough for practice, noodling, etc.

The high gainers are soooo bad I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I feel like a character in the emporer has no clothes fable over @ TGP with all the gushing, etc...

I fully was hoping and expecting this thing to blow away my other plugs (like the Axe does) and compete with the Axe as a practice solution for amp tones.

For the gainers everything has this 'buzzy sameness' to it in the upper end and a lot of the amps are not responsive the way the are in the Axe or TH3... After my initial evaluation yesterday, I got a feeling this is going to be like AmpliTube where it *can* sound really good but only after investing heavily in creating a preset.

It is really similar to when I got my Amplifire... it is a good tool. But Holy Sh*t the people praising this or saying it is as good as the Axe, KPA, etc must be clueless or going after COMPLETELY different stuff. It sounds really good in a narrow range but it just cannot compete with the Axe in its richness of sounds and feel. It is 2D vs 3D.

I'm sure I'll get some solid sounds from it, but I wanted a 'Soft Axe' and so far I am super disappointed, I'd say I'd rank it as like my fourth or fifth best plugin (for amp tones) in spite of being the most expensive. But it is super weird to read so much hype even from guys who have been naysayers on it prior and then fully expecting to buy in only to get this "WTF? Are you serious?" Feeling when going hands on.

In my tests, I found the real bread and butter of Native was the cabs. My first impression is that Native's tones were strikingly brighter and clearer than the ones I was getting from the Axe. I initially thought that was related to Line6's modeling. However, when I ran the Axe's amps through Native's cabs, it became apparent that those characteristics were a product of its cabs. I compared several similar Axe amp models to Native's and in every instance I thought the Axe models actually sounded a bit brighter, clearer and had just a bit more dimension.

Cabs can easily be swapped out, so I'm not worried about the Axe's stock cabs sounding a bit too dark or mid heavy with my guitar. The real crux of any modeler is in the models themselves and that's where Cliff's obsessive attention to detail is readily apparent, in my opinion.

That said, I do really like the cabs a lot. I don't know if I'd pay $400 for them, but I thought they sounded great.

I made IR`s of all the Line6 Helix " defaults cabs. They sound good i must say.
So if you have the Axe Fx II..you can make your own IR files,just borrow a Helix.. hihi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom