Have you tried your other modelers lately???

Radley

Experienced
Have you tried your other modelers lately??? If & when you do, please pay attention to the 'flying saucer' sounds in the backgound, especially when playing high gain, high-pitched, sustained bends. This is called digital aliasing, and it is anything but musical! Now try the same thing with your AxeFX - what do you hear? You hear very pure overdriven tones without the unwelcome weirdness of digital aliasing. IMHO, the AFX even eliminates some objectionable tube amp artifacts which have always bugged me (I call it high-frequency 'spitting' - it's when tubes can't handle the extreme amount of high frequencies being pushed into them, and the resultant tone is rather ugly and unnaturally 'raspy'/the opposite of smooth)

Interesting question Rad - and yes, my PodXT is officially retired, for the fizz that can't be removed through FRFR and for the other reasons you've noted.

I still use the Vetta very occasionally, when a quick super quick setup is required (amp, footpedal, guitar and 3 cables), mainly when multiple bands need a quick changeover on stage; no time to explain to FOH that they'll get a DI feed, and please start with flat EQ, no compression or other effects and please don't apply preconceived ideas you have from other modellers over the last 10 years. Hopefully this situation will change over the next few years :lol: To be honest, this sounded ok when I bought it and it still sounds ok. Very giggable tones, but of course not the detail and articulation we get from the AxeFX.

And for even faster changeovers where we're obliged to use a supplied backline, I use my backup "rig" - an M9 then a Tech 21 Liverpool pedal. Sounds great, specially if the supplied amp is acceptable, which is really no surprise.

I must say the Liverpool pedal has overcome a fear I've had my entire playing career of plugging into an amp that doesn't work for me (I've always struggled with amps that have that harsh, brittle thing going with no sag/bloom). This pedal can be set on the verge of breakup, with pre-EQ to suit the axe, and post EQ to compensate for whatever the amps not doing. It's even acceptable into FRFR, so it's a good backup for the AxeFX.

Radley said:
IMHO, the AFX even eliminates some objectionable tube amp artifacts which have always bugged me (I call it high-frequency 'spitting' - it's when tubes can't handle the extreme amount of high frequencies being pushed into them, and the resultant tone is rather ugly and unnaturally 'raspy'/the opposite of smooth)
Yes I agree. For people who rate amp emulations as 9 out of 10, I say the Ax amps go to 11 :lol: - we can actually improve the original amps to our tastes! Mind you, if you want the spitting highs, you can get them in the AxeFX with the bright switch and other pre high boosters - quite lethal with single coil p'ups ;)

Radley said:
Have you tried your other modelers lately??? If & when you do, please pay attention to the 'flying saucer' sounds in the backgound, especially when playing high gain, high-pitched, sustained bends. This is called digital aliasing, and it is anything but musical!

I've played with digital effects for years due to lack of funds for real tube amps. Boss GT8, old Zoom GFX's blah blah and the 'flying saucer' sounds as you put it could not be dialed out no matter what. Even my Marshall JMP-1 i had just prior to buying my Axefx had a certain 'honk' to it that frustratingly could not be dialed out. Used to drive me mad but what can ya do..? This was the FIRST thing i looked for when i'm played my very first note on my Axefx. As i was testing it for that first time i can tell you i was almost in tears i was so happy with what i was NOT hearing just as much as what i WAS hearing! :D

I just tested my Ultra and heard flying saucer sounds. Turns it was a real spaceship in my backyard so no worries.

I dl'd the Revalver III demo the other day and was trying to use it like I use my Axe, i.e. driving an SLA1 & EVM-12L (with cab sims off) or into a QSC K12 I've got on rent.
Tried the same thing with the amp sims in Logic Studio 9.

Pathetic.

The Axe rules.

Haven't tried it lately, but I imagine I'll be hearing a bit of it soon. :|

Dug out my old V-Amp for my new housemate to use. Wants to get more into guitar playing but has only really been learning chord strumming stuff on his acoustic up to this point. So now he has my V-Amp, and told him he can borrow my Strat to play around with if he wants.

He did ask about the Axe-FX until I told him how much it cost. Then he changed the question to a more general query about modelers. :lol:

There are a few local pubs where I live that have jam sessions and several months ago I was looking for a simple one stop floor solution for these sessions. I'm completely sold on going direct to PA with a floor monitor, have been now for two years. I tried and X3 and GT10 for a fortnight each and it was not a pleasant experience. I solved the problem by stripping my racked rig down to just 1 item and a 2U case. No prizes for guessing what that item is and it gives me everything I need.

I'm not wasting any more time and more with the cheap stuff, it doesn't work for me.

rickboot said:
I just tested my Ultra and heard flying saucer sounds. Turns it was a real spaceship in my backyard so no worries.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seems to be happen quite often, since you took it so cool? Did they say that they come in peace? :D

/Mike

Testing Amplitube 3 and quite impressed. Didn´t heard any "flying saucers" with that. The Axe is the best, but for software it is the best.

joegold said:
I dl'd the Revalver III demo the other day and was trying to use it like I use my Axe, i.e. driving an SLA1 & EVM-12L (with cab sims off) or into a QSC K12 I've got on rent.
Tried the same thing with the amp sims in Logic Studio 9.

Pathetic.

The Axe rules.

I actually don't hate the Peavey Revalver... :mrgreen: I have used it at home a few weeks now, but only through headphones... so it may suck trying it live and loud...
Am planning on giving it a go this weekend tho @ practice

The VOX Tonelab ST is decent enough... not anything stellar...
JMHO

"Have you tried your other modelers lately???"

Since you ask ....

I had some guys over to jam the other day. I dug out my Tonelab, and my PodXt. I hooked them up through an old Behringer 2x10 stereo amp. The results were a little surprising.

For mid gain stuff, the Vox sounded great, and had great feel. It was a little hissy though. I really like a couple of the stomps on the Vox. The octave stomp and the fuzz are really good and organic feeling. I couldn't get a good high gain with the Vox, which is what I remembered about it. If I didn't have an Axe, this is for sure what I would use for blackface, tweed, Vox, Plexi, and JCM800 stuff.

The PodXT was the big surprise. It sounded surprisingly good through the Behringer as well. The high gain stuff sounded pretty ballsy. It did have the "disconnected" feel that I remember though. The fx were much better than I remembered, but not up to Axe quality. If I didn't have the Axe, the Pod gets the edge for high gain.

Both the Vox and the Pod benefitted greatly from playing through an amp, which rolled off the fizz and let me boost the bass. Neither unit ever sounded very smooth to me when going direct. The surprise, after not hearing these units in a long time, was that while they suffer in comparison to the Axe, of course, they don't really suck.

My Boss GT-10 is still connected to my Rebel 20, and a V30 loaded 4x12. I am using a Barber Tone Press and a Blackstar HT-DUAL for dirt. This is a decent rig, but it is really only capable of one good sound. I'm a little disappointed in the GT-10 now. I am only using it for fx with this rig now, but compared to the Axe, the fx don't sound all that good to me anymore. The reverb, in particular, is pretty bad. The GT-10 amp modeling is not very good. Low and mid gain is usable, but anything resembling high gain is harsh and brings out the infamous "cocked wah".

Going direct, the Axe rules, of course. One of these days I need to make some Axe patches to go with the Rebel. I tried this for a few minutes when I first got it, and it sounded pretty good, but I need to try it again now that I have a little more experience with the Axe. The Rebel power amp, with the 6V6 / EL84 tube blend feature, is a pretty neat way to amplify the Axe.

JWW

I dug out my tonelab le last week and played it for a minute. The tones are not terrible but not as good as the axe. And when it comes to feel, forget about it; the axe is light years ahead. The tone lab is once again collecting dust. Oh yeh, fx? once again, the axe is light years ahead. Is it worth $1600 more than the tonelab, ...yeh, to me it is. And that is no slam on the TL; for $400 it aint bad, just not in the same class as the axe. Kind of like comparing a ferrari to a camaro.

I had have (at least for some days)

Line6 Pod 2.0:
cheap fx
cleans ok
crunchs and higain lifeless

Vox Tonelab Se:
not bad, but made a lot of noise.
didn't like higains

Boss GT-6:
I loved this unit. build like a tank.
specially higains I liked - although they were a kind of static.
many origin boss effects

Boss GT-8:
never get used to the 2 amp at once feature.
I wasn't satisfied by the sounds at all.

Boss GT-10:
don't like the cheap look
didn't check it too deeply

Revalver 2:
great for recording
nice sounds
don't like the fx

Guitar Rig 4:
used gr1,2,3, but 4 is really cool for recording and fx.
I even use the fx for vocals, bass and synths sounds.

Vandall (Demo):
WOW, I really consider to buy this one as well.
I love the HiGains

No surprise: none of the can beat the Axe-FX Ultra soundwise and in versability. But still I like software more for recordings. The Axe FX gets always a few tracks, but I like it more together with some other sounds for recording.

What I find is that other modelers seem to blow up on the high and low end in the sonic spectrum. Aliasing tends to make the high end 'blow up' to my ear, it's not cohesive. I do not know if that's what others like to get into calling fizz; I hear it on cleans too. It's not 'solid' as the Axe-FX.

That's something I noticed the first day with the Axe-FX and what sold me. The highs didn't 'explode' unnaturally.

The low end on the Axe-FX is defined. It's relative to what you are doing with the tone, higher gain and pushed stuff like Vox is where it stands out, you can shape the bottom with the massive array of tools... whereas with other modelers you are either stuck or need external EQ to make it work.

The different amp models - for example the range of Plexi based models - in the Axe-Fx all retain their character and you can tell them apart, other modelers have always tended, IMHO, to be prone to 'processed cheese' and they make everything have an identifiable similar sounding tone; like processed McDonalds food. With the Axe-FX, steaks don't taste like burgers don't taste like fish don't taste like french fries. In almost every other modeler based solution, everything has the same aftertaste.

And the major thing that stands the Axe-FX apart, IMHO, is the lack of a 'giveaway' sonic signature (which ties directly into my last point). Listen to different players with an Axe-FX and you'll marvel that they are using the same rig in essence. There's no sonic giveaway.

IMHO, YMMV.

Scott Peterson said:
And the major thing that stands the Axe-FX apart, IMHO, is the lack of a 'giveaway' sonic signature (which ties directly into my last point). Listen to different players with an Axe-FX and you'll marvel that they are using the same rig in essence. There's no sonic giveaway.
That was what I noticed about the Axe instantly when I plugged into it for the first time, and how I knew pretty much instantly that I would keep it. I said above that the other modelers don't suck as bad as I remember, but they all do require a lot of eq to be usable. For me, the Axe requires virtually no eq beyond the amp tone controls. It just sounds good.

JWW

guitarmike said:
I dug out my tonelab le last week and played it for a minute. The tones are not terrible but not as good as the axe. And when it comes to feel, forget about it; the axe is light years ahead. The tone lab is once again collecting dust. Oh yeh, fx? once again, the axe is light years ahead. Is it worth $1600 more than the tonelab, ...yeh, to me it is. And that is no slam on the TL; for $400 it aint bad, just not in the same class as the axe. Kind of like comparing a ferrari to a camaro.

I think that feel and response to pick attack is the biggest plus with the axefx. My pod and toneport sound very good for their pricepoint, but really lack the response of my tube amps. With the axefx, you get the feel and great sound of tubes plus all the incredible fx, routability, and tweakability. Didn't think it could be done with digital-Cliff is a genius. Light years ahead, for sure.

Back
Top Bottom