Hang guitars on wall?

I've always used String Swing arms screwed into a 1x6. For the latest rack I did for my bedroom I covered the boards with some fabric - in the past, I've just stained them.

My previous wall hanger setup:

hangers.jpg

I've been hanging mine for years with no problems. I don't find myself having to adjust the necks anymore than when they resided in their cases. Of course, the region I am in may have some effect on that as I have had to rarely touch my truss rods in thirty years of playing.

Like many in this thread, I use strips of wood (8ft pieces of oak from Lowes) and mount the hangers to those. In addition to screwing the wood strips into the studs, I coat the backside with Liquid Nail. Doing that helps to strengthen the 12 inches that go past the stud on each end.

I am using String Swing front facing hangers, and I haven't had any trouble with hanger burn on the neck joints, even with my nitro finished guitars. However, I do regularly play all my guitars, so routinely breaking the neck/hanger contact may help.

Seems like normal hangers where guitars only hang by the neck is safe and perhaps the easiest/cheapest way to go.

Well, generally yes, until this happens:
GyCzwJD.jpg

If you get those regular wall hangers, try to choose the ones that cannot turn. My guitar fell down without anyone touching it, the hanger somehow got loose, turned and it started collapsing. Luckily, I was around and somehow managed to catch it, so the only damage was to the headstock finish. But that was some insane luck. Otherwise it would be shattered.

Some just have bad luck! There are well over 50 guitars in my house hanging on the walls and or ceiling and have never had an issue with any falling, with out help. I would not have room for them all in my house if they were in cases, the cases are in a storage building.

All hangers weren't created equal, that's my point, I guess. Some are made in such a way that this incident isn't possible. Others may fail you one day.

I'm not worried about neck stress....I'm worried about affecting the finish on the neck (contact points)

If worried about the neck finish, get or build some hangers that support the guitar by the body.

A friend of mine flies his v shaped guitars on the wall buy the neck side strap button, he uses Schaller style locks and mounted the strap end to a bracket mounted to the wall. I have also seen l hook shaped hangers you put in the wall to hang the guitar on that the body sets in like a cradle.

Those look decent!
I've seen the floor-standing version in person—both the one-guitar and the three-guitar version. They're significantly more stable than any other stand I've seen. The hanger, common to all versions, is covered in a soft-fingered, grippy plastic that really doesn't want to let go of the headstock until you lift up on the guitar. The manufacturer says it's safe for all finishes. I have no direct experience to verify that or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom