Hang guitars on wall?

ztevie

Experienced
So, moved into a new big house recently. This means I will have a big, nice room which will be a dedicated guitar room.
I wanna hang my guitars on the wall but not with some standard hooks.
I hope to get some suggestions and inspiration for innovative and cool ways to hang em up...
I've looked at hangers that will hang the guitars horizontally with support for both body and neck, but I'm open to anything. I can build myself if it's not too complicated.
Show me how you hang your axes!

I use to hang mine on the wall also but something to keep in mind is humidity changes. If the room changes allot its better to keep the guitar in its case.

I know, but when using up to 8 different guitars on a regular basis, there's a lot of running and opening/closing cases which are stored in another room. I'd rather live with adjusting them spring and autumn having them available a couple of feet away.

Hmm, better check to see which system (vertical-hanging or horizontal hanging) is less physically stressful for the guitars and less likely to warp the necks.

The effects of gravity-over-time may be a concern - e.g., you may not touch some guitars for months or years at a time if you have a big collection.

An idea could be building racks on the wall where you place your cases? Just open the lid to pick up or put down a guitar...
Not very much cool factor on such a solution though, lol!

same here... had to get a special hook for my parker. I purchased the oak one. There a couple coats of poly on it and walla.

I have one Parker and been meaning to get the Parker hanger. The rest display so well via this system, it's quite impressive. Plus, I like being able to re-configure and adjust the hangers at ease, since they are simply hung in a channel on the rail.

Had mine about 8 years and all of my guitars are on the rack. I installed 2 rails, one on either side of my home studio. Each rail holds 15 guitars. I live in Florida, and was originally concerned about humidity and temperature changes, so I've kept watch of all the guitars over time. No issues; neck, tuning, finish, etc. I have blackout curtains to protect from direct sunlight.

They do look cool but at a stupid price.

:roll .. Guilty

IMG_0281.JPG

I have one Parker and been meaning to get the Parker hanger. The rest display so well via this system, it's quite impressive. Plus, I like being able to re-configure and adjust the hangers at ease, since they are simply hung in a channel on the rail.

Had mine about 8 years and all of my guitars are on the rack. I installed 2 rails, one on either side of my home studio. Each rail holds 15 guitars. I live in Florida, and was originally concerned about humidity and temperature changes, so I've kept watch of all the guitars over time. No issues; neck, tuning, finish, etc. I have blackout curtains to protect from direct sunlight.

Hm, do you have a pic to see what it looks like?

there is absolutely no problem with hanging guitars vertically long term; the headstock is designed to take far more tension from the strings tuned to concert pitch.
to exert ~7 lbs of axial load to the neck by hanging it vertically -- that's negligible, unless it's already cracked somewhere from previous damage (dropping guitars is what you really want to worry about, that's where damage occurs).

seriously, you put more stress on the neck by wide-bending strings than hanging it vertically.

I've hung my guitars since about 1995 with "Off the Wall" hangers.

They don't make the angled ones anymore, but here's a picture from back in the day (when I was going through my "more" PRS phase). Still have the hangers, don't have any of the guitars pictured (sadly, especially the first two on the right). Sigh.

Here's a more current instagram type of shot of above my desk with my 'three kings'. Still using Off the Wall hangers, these are the currently available 'straight' hangers.

I've never had any issues with finish damage and my room is climate controlled year round; humidity is always between 40-60% depending on the season. I pay special attention to the temperature and humidity so it's never been an issue. It is an important consideration.

Last edited:
Do you guys see any downside to wall hangers?

I often think about going the wall hanger route, but I'm always questioning if it could damage the guitar in an way?
(Neck strain or anything like that, which may cause a stress crack on a heavy les paul maybe?)
Or am I just paranoid?

I've got somewhere around 30 guitars and some never leave the case because I don't have enough floor space.
Somebody tell me I'm crazy and that wall hangers are super safe, so I can get over this fear....

Back
Top Bottom