Guthrie Govan Leaves Suhr!!! :S....

Hi, sorry for this late reply. I've been very sick lately, so I didn't have time to talk to my guitar tech until yesterday.
He said that Guthrie was very honest about it, one of the reasons why he stopped playing Suhr and went to Charvel was that Suhr "bakes" the neck. It's supposed to make it sound better?
Either way, from what I understand there is a chance that it doesn't last forever. Guthrie said that one day his guitar was just unplayable. Maybe that could explain his tuning issues that someone mentioned.
Sad, Suhr seems like really nice guitars :(

Your guitar tech made that tale up, sir.

Yes Roasted neck sorry! I'm translating from my language into English :p

Roasted Maple Necks

My guitar tech doesn't like it, and this is pretty new, so maybe some necks get messed up after years of string tension.

I still need to try a Suhr, seen some amazing videos with guys (or girls for that matter) playing suhr.
I tried Guthrie's Suhr modern the first version at a clinic in my music college. The guitar was phenomenal.

I highly doubt that a roasted neck was Guthrie's motive to leave, he kept praising the benefits of being more stable.

Most likely Charvel just tossed a nice endorsement deal and he took it, I'm glad he's getting a leg up and there's people who are willing to support him and his music.

A creative dude like Guthrie deserves it.

I saw The Aristocrats in SF at a small dinner club earlier this year; the dude isn't getting any younger. Gots to get PAID.

Yes Roasted neck sorry! I'm translating from my language into English :p

Roasted Maple Necks

My guitar tech doesn't like it, and this is pretty new, so maybe some necks get messed up after years of string tension.

I still need to try a Suhr, seen some amazing videos with guys (or girls for that matter) playing suhr.
^
I have a EBMM JPX with the roasted neck and it`s the best neck I have ever played. Super stable and can withstand temperature changes better than my PRS and my fenders. LOVE it:)

^
I have a EBMM JPX with the roasted neck and it`s the best neck I have ever played. Super stable and can withstand temperature changes better than my PRS and my fenders. LOVE it:)
My thoughts exact Roasted necks are generally better necks. I am waiting for my suhr custom it will have a roasted neck on it.

Hi, sorry for this late reply. I've been very sick lately, so I didn't have time to talk to my guitar tech until yesterday.
He said that Guthrie was very honest about it, one of the reasons why he stopped playing Suhr and went to Charvel was that Suhr "bakes" the neck. It's supposed to make it sound better?
Either way, from what I understand there is a chance that it doesn't last forever. Guthrie said that one day his guitar was just unplayable. Maybe that could explain his tuning issues that someone mentioned.
Sad, Suhr seems like really nice guitars :(
Well. The Charvel has a Roasted Maple neck as well so that should lay that to rest... Around 11 min. in:
Well... Actually it doesn't. Aside from that GG is apparently aware of the controversy surrounding his surprise changing of brands he doesn't disclose anything about why there's Charvel on the headstock and not Suhr. It would appear Suhr would be quite capable of crafting a Koa body/roast maple neck Superstrat. Just that there's no endorsement deal involved. Stupid. He should get a deal, he needs all the support (i.e. money) he can get. And there will not be a signature model. Huh? Then why call it a "prototype" if there will not be a model? Then it's just a custom. Or it's a proto for a model that will not be called the GG signature.

Anyway. Notwithstanding my involvement in this thread, my only stake in this is curiosity. I enjoy the puzzle. Still love GG's music, still planning on getting a Suhr when I get around to it. With a roasted neck and SS frets.

It's all good.

Interesting video for sure. Also interesting to hear the different name for the same thing... roasted, baked, caramelized!
With his focus on keeping his rig compact yet flexible and sounding consistent, I'm surprised he hasn't just tried out using an AxeFx2+<small foot controller here>?
He seems to be playing with rental amps (Marshall in this video, Suhr amps in another earlier in the thread), so he's hardly always getting the sound he's used to. Oh, and not wanting to lose the setting on the chorus was also a good one :)

I'm assuming of course that renting a good FRFR speaker would be as easy/hard as renting an amp+cab, but with the AxeFx he'd also be able to use headphones back at the hotel. Just sayin'.

Well. The Charvel has a Roasted Maple neck as well so that should lay that to rest... Around 11 min. in:

Well... Actually it doesn't. Aside from that GG is apparently aware of the controversy surrounding his surprise changing of brands he doesn't disclose anything about why there's Charvel on the headstock and not Suhr. It would appear Suhr would be quite capable of crafting a Koa body/roast maple neck Superstrat. Just that there's no endorsement deal involved. Stupid. He should get a deal, he needs all the support (i.e. money) he can get. And there will not be a signature model. Huh? Then why call it a "prototype" if there will not be a model? Then it's just a custom. Or it's a proto for a model that will not be called the GG signature.

Anyway. Notwithstanding my involvement in this thread, my only stake in this is curiosity. I enjoy the puzzle. Still love GG's music, still planning on getting a Suhr when I get around to it. With a roasted neck and SS frets.

It's all good.

I agree with you :). Well you just answered a few things yourself. What I meant by "This video answers a few things" was that,for all the curious folks out here we have a bit more of a clear idea
of things,rather than being completely vague. Anyhow you're right I have never seen Guthrie sound so unconvincing,anyhow still love his playing and the music :). Yes I am waiting for my 7 string modern with the roasted neck and well what can I say.... It will come around the beginning of the new year,so excited! 2013 would be epic :) plus I am without an electric these days,so it would be awesome to try it with the Axe FxII and the new firmware.

Interesting video for sure. Also interesting to hear the different name for the same thing... roasted, baked, caramelized!
With his focus on keeping his rig compact yet flexible and sounding consistent, I'm surprised he hasn't just tried out using an AxeFx2+<small foot controller here>?
He seems to be playing with rental amps (Marshall in this video, Suhr amps in another earlier in the thread), so he's hardly always getting the sound he's used to. Oh, and not wanting to lose the setting on the chorus was also a good one :)

I'm assuming of course that renting a good FRFR speaker would be as easy/hard as renting an amp+cab, but with the AxeFx he'd also be able to use headphones back at the hotel. Just sayin'.
You're right,it's a shame that Guthrie isn't try out the Axe FxII to it's full capability. He needs to play it with a Matrix Power Amp,he would definitely then not need to pay for renting amps and stuff. Anyhow as long as he is happy,then that's what matters.

Well now that that poser isn't using a Suhr anymore, I guess I can get one! (seriously-it arrives today)

Really, his charvel specs seem a lot like the reb model suhr. I'm sure we'll see a run on those special pickups in no time ;)

Funny thing is-I had Mike Lull build me a flame Koa body, maple neck, ebony board super strat waaaay back in 92! (before he branded up-was just the go-to tech in the area at that point)
Now I think I need to go dig it out of storage...

Well now that that poser isn't using a Suhr anymore, I guess I can get one! (seriously-it arrives today)

Really, his charvel specs seem a lot like the reb model suhr. I'm sure we'll see a run on those special pickups in no time ;)

Funny thing is-I had Mike Lull build me a flame Koa body, maple neck, ebony board super strat waaaay back in 92! (before he branded up-was just the go-to tech in the area at that point)
Now I think I need to go dig it out of storage...
LOL Guthrie is still awesome,love his playing :D. Congrats on the Suhr,did you get modern custom 7 string or a 6?
Yea the specs definitely sound like what Reb's Suhr is. I wish him luck! That's awesome! Find that guitar then,what's it doing in the storage play it with the Axe FxII. y Suhr modern 7 should be available in January hopefully,can't wait man. Let me know how you find your Suhr.

Back
Top Bottom