Great gig, bad FC-12

You could maybe install DC blocking capacitors, but then you'd have to use a separate 12V DC supply to power the FC unit since that would also block the power coming from the Axe III, FM9, or FM3.

Maybe put a big sticker on the back of the FC that says "CONTROL ONLY - NO AUDIO"?

If my memory is correct, this happened in the standard/ultra days connecting the xlr outs to a cable with phantom power would fry it. This didn't happen with the 2 as it had protection against it. Surprised the FC's suffer from this unless by design its not possible to protect against it.
Convenient to use standard xlr cables as they are plentiful but then you get this problem.

You can't block DC going into the FC's because they use that power by design. FASLink II uses a different voltage and pinout though. I believe only 1 pin in FASLink caries 12V DC to power the FC's, while Phantom power splits 48V DC on both signal pins. You could put DC blocking caps in the FC's to safeguard it, but then you'd have to always use an external 12V DC power supply to power it.

You can't block DC going into the FC's because they use that power by design. FASLink II uses a different voltage and pinout though. I believe only 1 pin in FASLink caries 12V DC to power the FC's, while Phantom power splits 48V DC on both signal pins. You could put DC blocking caps in the FC's to safeguard it, but then you'd have to always use an external 12V DC power supply to power it.

Yeah probably can't then. So maybe using standard xlr was a bad idea then since it can fry it.

Yeah probably can't then. So maybe using standard xlr was a bad idea then since it can fry it.

Always bad to use a standard connection type for something non standard. I remember when Dell used to use standard ATX connector on motherboards but they re-wired it. Failed power supply, replaced it with new one and guess what, fried it. Needed a dell one. They don't do that anymore.

The clueless and the determined will always find a way to screw things up. The FC ports are clearly labeled FASLINK II and not Output. Since 99% of XLR cables going to the stage will have a female plug end, I'd wager that either the FC wasn't yet plugged into the FM9 or the stage hand was extra determined to cause problems.

Always bad to use a standard connection type
1/4” is the king of this. A 1/4” jack on something could be…
  • High Z instrument input
  • Instrument passthrough
  • Unbalanced mono line level input
  • Unbalanced mono line level output
  • Balanced line level input
  • Balanced line level output
  • Stereo unbalanced input
  • Stereo unbalanced output
  • Microphone input
  • Channel insert with send and return
  • Power amplifier output
  • Powered speaker input
I’m sure there are more.
Unfortunate things can happen but it’s best practice to actually know what you’re plugging in before you plug it in 🤓

Last edited:
1/4” is the king of this. A 1/4” jack on something could be…
  • High Z instrument input
  • Instrument passthrough
  • Unbalanced mono line level input
  • Unbalanced mono line level output
  • Balanced line level input
  • Balanced line level output
  • Stereo unbalanced input
  • Stereo unbalanced output
  • Microphone input
  • Channel insert with send and return
  • Power amplifier output
  • Powered speaker input
I’m sure there are more.
Unfortunate things can happen but it’s best practice to actually know what you’re plugging in before you plug it in 🤓
While i agree with you on knowing what your plugging into. Examples you quoted think only one would blow something up. Power amp output into some input (apart from a speaker)..

Back
Top Bottom