GR-300

Great sound.Thanks for sharing.

Back in that era I use to "flash" of the Korg X-911 (though I never got one, too expensive):

The commercial of the time does say "trully an outstanding landmark achievement for the creative guitar player" (at 1' 16''). Wonder what the guy would now say about the AXE-FX ...

Last edited:
I know, I know, not very practical for live use. Luckily I've run out of room to expand :) and money too! too many options but fun, which is what it's all about.

you do realise, now you've posted that pic, you are duty bound to record yourself playing a single chord with everything (and i mean EVERYTHING) on!! :)

I am just finishing up on a concept album that I will release to the web that will demo the system (albeit pre Axe II). I just need another month or so to finish it. I'm an old guy (47) who has previously only done cds, what is the best way to put a whole album on the web??? myspace? soundcloud? I'm not a fan of MP3 but wav is fine. any suggestions would be very helpful.
The Gr-300 samples will be my little test on how to do this. thanks in advance. Shreddy Better (such a cryptic name for an old fart).

Bandcamp

users/customers can choose which format they'd like to download. you can name your price, or let the customer pay what they want. excellent site.

Bandcamp

users/customers can choose which format they'd like to download. you can name your price, or let the customer pay what they want. excellent site.

Thanks alot for that hint. Knew Bandpage by name, but hardly anything beyond that. Sounds perfect for my original band, just registered there. :)

btw, if you just want somewhere to upload some sounds as examples, i would go with soundcloud, not bandcamp. soundcloud is for sharing, bandcamp is for selling (primarily - they don't let you have that many free downloads)

btw, if you just want somewhere to upload some sounds as examples, i would go with soundcloud, not bandcamp. soundcloud is for sharing, bandcamp is for selling (primarily - they don't let you have that many free downloads)

Thanks Simeon. so Soundcloud over Myspace eh. The actual album will be free to all when done (it's a long listen, 90 min or so, that's why it is taking so long to finish, like I said, another month or so: one story told through 14 "songs" and a bunch of interludes). Been so busy with vocals and non-guitar overdubs that the guitar stuff has been in off mode as of late. The next project will be the true test of the rig as it stands now, including the Axe II.

Tried it just now for the first time. I am mystified since I was under the impression that things like amp and pickup choice on the guitar etc. didn't influence the sound that was coming from the synth block if it was in series and with a mix of 100%. But it really did. My thinking was that it only affected the signal going to the synth block. Like more or less stable. But I must have missunderstood this since it really did effect the sound.

Can someone explain this to me?

Yup, we're already on Soundcloud. SC is used for demo recordings and minor clips.
BC seems to be a good choice to "release" our music.

Tried it just now for the first time. I am mystified since I was under the impression that things like amp and pickup choice on the guitar etc. didn't influence the sound that was coming from the synth block if it was in series and with a mix of 100%. But it really did. My thinking was that it only affected the signal going to the synth block. Like more or less stable. But I must have missunderstood this since it really did effect the sound.

Can someone explain this to me?

well the synth gets it's pitch information from the global input, but it's envelope information from the block input. so changing pickups etc may yield different responses in the amount of sustain and the stability of the notes etc

thanks for those!

it's not really the tone itself...it's the attack characteristics that have so much character, isn't it. that may be hard to duplicate....

Yes, I agree, Sim. I used your patch and tone matched Pat's original sound - not much of a difference, I think - I used to own a GR-300 until recently and I think it's only nuances that are different - a kind of "darker" overall character, I'd say.
But - all in all - a great patch, thanks again!

you're welcome. do you think you could describe what's going on in the attack portion? i used two saw waves and added a slight portamento to one of them, but am i right in thinking that pat's sound is just a single saw wave oscillator? in which case, where's all that funky stuff coming from in the note attack...is it a slight pitch deviation?

you're welcome. do you think you could describe what's going on in the attack portion? i used two saw waves and added a slight portamento to one of them, but am i right in thinking that pat's sound is just a single saw wave oscillator? in which case, where's all that funky stuff coming from in the note attack...is it a slight pitch deviation?

Yes. There is a slight pitch elevation in the attack which resolves a few milliseconds later. In the Roland keyboard Pat Meth Synth emulation, the main character one can hear id the attack detuned characteristic. I emulated that in a patch I created for GR300 which is somewhere on this forum. But I could not get the proper instant attack without a portamento glitch of some sort. I want to get back to it at some point but I'm really short on time now. I probably will get back to it in late July after I'm done with a series of major gigs that's coming up and that I have to prepare for.

I attached my patches here. can't remember which one it was and I stupidly named them both the same thing. You can download them and check out what I did on the tracking of the pitch. I inserted an ASDR function to "bend" the pitch at the attack for a few milliseconds by a few cents, giving it that weird attack feel. I think the solution might be to make a composite of two waveforms. One for the immediate attack and the other for the sustain. Kind of like the "Partial" approach of the D50.

Edit: here is the recording I had done of this. You can hear the weird attack quirks. Both those that should be there, and those that shouldn't! :eek:ops

Attachments

• GR 300.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 51
  • GR 300.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 49
Awesome! When thinking about "synth-sounds" i want to play through the Axe-II, ONE Name come immediately to my mind: PAT METHENY! And your patch has the vibe - no question! Thank you!!!!!!!!!! Great!

Yes. There is a slight pitch elevation in the attack which resolves a few milliseconds later.

I think the solution might be to make a composite of two waveforms. One for the immediate attack and the other for the sustain. Kind of like the "Partial" approach of the D50.

well that was my approach - use two waveforms. one does the pitch bend and the other doesn't. i also ran mine through the tape drive to give it more warmth and a bit more dirt (trying to make it more "analogue", i guess). there is quite a lot of "bite" in the sound of the original and i think that may be missing from both our patches. i think perhaps running a dry line round the synth from the drive block with a volume block tied to the adsr, to only let the attack through, might be a solution to this. i'll have a go and see if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom