GPU EMI

Used fractal cases for my last few builds. I don't know whether it's something else in my setup but the EMI I get has been hideous so will bookmark this thread for next time!!

Edit: if anyone has used fractal cases in their setups, would be interested to know if EMI was a problem for them 👍
Use your guitar as an antenna. Move it all over the room to find the source of the EMI.

Use your guitar as an antenna. Move it all over the room to find the source of the EMI.
Definitely the pc rex. Leaking like a monster. I concluded it was either the mobo, Ryzen speedsteppy shiz, or the gfx card. Remember must have been 10 years ago having a similar issue in an old build, you could switch off a load of cpu stuff like spread spectrum and speedstep which basically killed the problems. I figure it's why people spend double the price for a Mac 😅 In my last round of EMI hell, I installed a dedicated ground rod, ripped the ground from all my plugs bar 1 and still the dreaded chirp and mouse buzz!

Definitely the pc rex. Leaking like a monster. I concluded it was either the mobo, Ryzen speedsteppy shiz, or the gfx card. Remember must have been 10 years ago having a similar issue in an old build, you could switch off a load of cpu stuff like spread spectrum and speedstep which basically killed the problems. I figure it's why people spend double the price for a Mac 😅 In my last round of EMI hell, I installed a dedicated ground rod, ripped the ground from all my plugs bar 1 and still the dreaded chirp and mouse buzz!
Is there a window in your case?

I just got one of these:
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=921

Chassis used to be all metal and made good Faraday cages. Now they're more and more plastic and useless in stopping EMI.
I finally got around to building my new computer into this Silverstone case.

Pros:
  • Excellent EMI suppression. No window. I can use my single coil guitars with almost no computer noise.
  • Sturdy. Good ol' fashioned metal case held together with screws. No plastic panels, clips, etc.

Cons:
  • Not the prettiest thing.
  • I'm using it in a tower configuration. Removing the side panel is not easy. One of the screws is obstructed by one of the feet so you have to remove the foot to get to the screw.
  • While you can orient the door to open either left or right, if you configure it to open on the right the hinge blocks the DVD drive from opening.
  • The screws that hold the side panel on are small and feel as though they could strip easily.

I'm not enamored with it but it seems to be the only thing available now that provides good EMI shielding. I wish case makers would offer some simple, effective metal cases with no windows and designed to provide EMI shielding but everything now is windows and cheap plastic parts and snap together construction.

Overall: 3.5 stars.

Pros:
  • Excellent EMI suppression. No window. I can use my single coil guitars with almost no computer noise.
  • Sturdy. Good ol' fashioned metal case held together with screws. No plastic panels, clips, etc.

Cons:
  • I'm using it in a tower configuration. Removing the side panel is not easy. One of the screws is obstructed by one of the feet so you have to remove the foot to get to the screw.
  • While you can orient the door to open either left or right, if you configure it to open on the right the hinge blocks the DVD drive from opening.
  • The screws that hold the side panel on are small and feel as though they could strip easily.

I'm not enamored with it but it seems to be the only thing available now that provides good EMI shielding. I wish case makers would offer some simple, effective metal cases with no windows and designed to provide EMI shielding but everything now is windows and cheap plastic parts and snap together construction.

Nice. On some fronts, anyway. :)

Does it provide noticeably better shielding than the more pedestrian windowless cases?

Pros:

Cons:

Tell them what they got wrong, maybe they'll improve.

Seems to. Noticeably quieter than the Define R6 I was using before.
I might have to look into that. Though I'm running a Thermaltake V100, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how much gain I can run on a single-coil pickup from three feet away.

Back
Top Bottom