Gift of Tone #21 - GUTHRIE GOVAN

@Greg Ferguson @yek I have a question IRT Scene 2 Mixer 4 on the first row. It has a value in it (19.6%) assigned to Row 3. I don't see any effects on Row 3, does that mean nothing is coming thru it or is the wah coming thru it with no change? I believe I understand all the other scenes and Mixers but just this one.

Thanks
Ditto on this question. I'm not sure I understand the function of the shunted block in row 3. I'm really not sure what function that is serving, but scared I might be missing some supreme magic I'm not yet aware of. :)

Brilliant... absolutely brilliant 👌

Thank you mr Govan and FAS....

Wonder if the other bearded player preset is the last preset bonus special 🤔 Won't mind if it is 😅

Cheers 🍻

Without having seen the preset yet, that sounds like it's mixing in some dry signal.
Yes. Upon further reflection that is what is happening. I hadn't noticed that the mix for the row is up on only one of the scenes. So it is bringing in a little of the raw signal. Interestingly the mix parameter on the other mixer is controlled by a foot switch. Really interesting approach.

1671746961312.png

When Fractal drops some of that gift of tone

Shocked Bart Simpson GIF

Thank you !

This blows me everytime I watch it. Evidently it’s first take and improvised and is the solo on the release.

Also the “Drive Home” solo has to be one of the most emotional guitar solos I’ve heard.

That’s hands down the best thing I’ve ever heard from him. I mean that as no dis at all to everything else he’s done, but that was awesome. That was more Guthrie Gilmour than Guthrie Govan!

Thanks Fractal!

FWIW guys, scene 4 in the Main preset is the clean preset without the comp and chorus. Plenty of power to be able to combine these 2 presets into 1.

Excellent!

I have added a bit of Proximity and Room to the CAB. FET1 Hi-Q preamp, pumping up the Drive and Saturation. And a little bit of Speaker Drive, Speaker Compressor and Speaker Thumb at the AMP

And another Scene for the SOLO adding the Optical Compressor

Fantastic preset, super interesting how it’s built. i was wondering if some of you had to tame the fizzy high end as well? I had to cut through 6000 hz after the cab block.

Fantastic preset, super interesting how it’s built. i was wondering if some of you had to tame the fizzy high end as well? I had to cut through 6000 hz after the cab block.
I usually end up cutting in the 6500-8000 range on all presets. I’m assuming it’s not an issue for GG and other pro’s since those freqs get lost in a band mix.

I usually end up cutting in the 6500-8000 range on all presets. I’m assuming it’s not an issue for GG and other pro’s since those freqs get lost in a band mix.
That helps if you want more the amp in the room as per Carter Coopers tutorial

A real cab tops out at 6000 Hz whereas studio direct miked is going to be much wider freq range like an FRFR

It could quite simply be that he cuts out on a global EQ and/or FOH cuts it at the board as needed for a given room...

Does anyone have any further insight into the reasoning behind the layout of this preset?

Mixer blocks everywhere.. multiple amps. I understand that Guthrie uses one of the scenes with both amps engaged to crossfade between them during this track in order to keep the tail of a sound going while switching into crunch/clean (whichever way it goes..), but what else is happening?

Also, I copied an amp block to another preset, and while the rhythm tone remained, the clean tone was quite different - hotter and less clean. Are these mix blocks attenuating input levels?

Super cool to have this, I absolutely love Guthrie's playing and it amazes me how similar his rhythm tone is to my own preset!

Back
Top Bottom