Get Yer 11.0 Beta Here!

maybe i wasn't clear on that; the q-rod didn't clean up well on 10.12 for me either, but the plexi did better on 10.11. i have no real life experience with either of those amps, so i don't know which amp models should clean up all the way and which ones won't.

i just re-read my post and i can see where it can be confusing. i guess i just need some advice on which amps models clean up well so i can concentrate on using those.

My own personal opinion .If you go into an amp with more than 3 gain stages in the pre (just like in the real world ) your going find they dot clean up that well .
Something like a Marshall plexi, 800 ,Bogner Blue ,Komet ,Hiwatt, Splawn (1st gear might ).

The ones that wont as well DZL Herbert , Recto ,Uber , 5150 etc

that's very useful information. i've been using modelers for so many years that i've gotten used to most high gain amps cleaning up, because a lot of modelers aren't close to the real life amps. it seems that many modelers use the same basic distortion, but change eq settings to give you another amp flavor. not so much with the axe-fx, you get an entirely different animal, which is cool. it will take some time, but i will get the hang of this thing.

I just updated to v10.12,and turned the sag down on freidman BE to test, WOW...I've been using this preset for awhile,and now the solid state harshness is gone, tighter overall sound. Now I need to update the presets,and then i will have checkout v11b. Oh fabioKTG is right there is no 11a, only 11b. I checked this also,and found there is only a hose"a" and hose"b",but not a 11a and 11b. LOL.

The Comet blows me away as to how well it cleans up. It's my ultimate clean to mean on the Axe. Absolutely floored me the first time I tried it. It's also one that sounds good at low volume.

the thing only (negative?) thing i've noticed is that the start up screen is blank and takes a couple extra seconds to load than usual. sounds great though.

I've been using 11b w/o issue since it's been available. had my first issue on stage yesterday. 2 ghost in the machine episodes.

1) i used the looper for a quick riff, played it backwards and went back to playing rhythm underneath. hit stop went back to normal mode when out of nowhere, the looper started all by itself. When I intended to do my little trick it was cool but when it started on it's own at a very inopportune moment it was quite embarrassing.

2) threw in a little wah during a solo, maybe a measure. a few moments later the wah was going all by itself, freaky as it was repeating the pattern i just played prior.

I checked to make sure all the cable connections were solid, rebooted which cleared the looper but the wah (although not repeating my movements now) would still go on by itself. I swapped out the exp pedal but that one was doing it too. Then when I went to use the wah, it did nothing. booted up today and all is fine. weird...

I've been using 11b w/o issue since it's been available. had my first issue on stage yesterday. 2 ghost in the machine episodes.

1) i used the looper for a quick riff, played it backwards and went back to playing rhythm underneath. hit stop went back to normal mode when out of nowhere, the looper started all by itself. When I intended to do my little trick it was cool but when it started on it's own at a very inopportune moment it was quite embarrassing.

2) threw in a little wah during a solo, maybe a measure. a few moments later the wah was going all by itself, freaky as it was repeating the pattern i just played prior.

I checked to make sure all the cable connections were solid, rebooted which cleared the looper but the wah (although not repeating my movements now) would still go on by itself. I swapped out the exp pedal but that one was doing it too. Then when I went to use the wah, it did nothing. booted up today and all is fine. weird...

well... I think the AXE is so big... that... have it's own ... personality! :lol

Only issue i had when installing fw 11b via F bot was that the axe reported : fw update error. The second time i tried all went well. Since then no more issues. All sounds much punchier and better. I did not have to retweak a lot on existing presets ( only smalls things in the first two pages of the amp block).

Ps. The studio reverb sounds awesome in 11b.

So for me you can release 11 officially Cliff !
Tx again fot all the work

Fast review is that it sounds better at low volumes.

I will never understand why the factory presets don't feature the reverb and delay in parallel, not series (although I allow it works better for MONO.) That VH patch sounds damn'd good. Needed a touch of tweaking (what's up with that Flange?), but it sounded pretty spot on...even with my LP.

I'm not going to seriously tweak until we roll out the full FW, but Fractal has done what we expect...another miracle.

R

I tried 11b on a friends guitar for about 20 minutes and couldnt tell much of a difference, however it wasnt my guitar so i wasnt feeling it like i wouldve been if it had been my own. I'm still wrapping my head around 10.12 so i'm gonna patiently wait for the official release to come around.

When you say it sounds better at low volumes, what part of the sound exactly would you say is getting "worse" at higher volumes?

Perhaps what electron pirate is trying to say is that it seems the issue of dynamics at lower recording volumes (guitar to speaker interaction) has been greatly improved. I don't seem to have to push the volume way up when recording to get the punch I am looking for when I go back to mix it in.

Of course, this is just my observation in recording guitars. I don't currently play live, so it's not really in my vocabulary to be talking about live performance.

I believe it was meant that with the new FW the unit performs better at lower volumes than with the previous release. Actually you may find its sounds better at higher volumes also.

I've gone back to 10.12 as I have found I really need Axe Edit in the studio.
Looking forward to being able to use FW11 again as it's much more 'natural'.

Pauly

My own personal opinion .If you go into an amp with more than 3 gain stages in the pre (just like in the real world ) your going find they dot clean up that well .
Something like a Marshall plexi, 800 ,Bogner Blue ,Komet ,Hiwatt, Splawn (1st gear might ).

The ones that wont as well DZL Herbert , Recto ,Uber , 5150 etc

that's not strictly true.. not in the Axe at least...

this is all one preset with a riffing tone and soloing tone in it..
the riffing tone is a 5153Red and a VH4ch4 together
at the start of the clip they have been 'cleaned' via modifiers

at 0:47 I switch to the soloing tone, which is the 5153Red on it's own
at 1:32 I morph it clean.. and between 2:05 and 2:07 it morphs from hi-gain to clean again..
the lil' country thing at the end at 3:09 is still the 5153Red in full-on soloing mode morphed clean...

hi-gain amps can clean up... surprisingly so if you know how to cool down the gain and then fix the tone back up..

Back
Top Bottom