Get Yer 11.0 Beta Here!

Great question!

I was going to do this, but since there are more than 127 amps, it might have to be 2 blank banks to load the amp and default cab into.

oops, this is what I'm talking about...

"Until next Axe Edit is released that is compatible, could we use the Axe Manage program within Axe Edit v 1.9 to simply create a blank bank with the default amp and cab in 127 slots, but then shut it down and do all other things from the front of the box and use "save" from front panel? Then use Fractal Bot to save the bank when down or specific presets?"

No, not bass, there is too much mids like in FW10 with pressed button "fat" and sound is brighter. The most unpleasant thing is that all presets I opened in FW11 have been deleted after downgrading to FW10 back. Then I updated it to FW11 again and now there is no presets I have opened in downgraded FW10.
At all sound becomes more bright and "righter" but all my old presets with mixed 2 amps+2 cabs sounds very ugly now.

I got my axe a couple of weeks ago and since then there has been like two firmware updates and now the beta. Even though ive only made a few custom presets I was wise enough to use fractalbot and back up everything. I may be a newb to the axe but lets be honest, in this day and age it doesnt matter what piece of technology you're dealing with its only common sense to have a DR strategy. Mine usually includes backups if possible and a rollback plan (I apply this strategy to all device updates, from cell phones and tablets to even my satellite dish receiver...).
Reading posts on the forum and wiki has kept me in the know. Theres tons left for me to learn and I prefer to learn from my successes rather than failures. My two cents.. FWIW.

Not because of a firmware revision itself or any bugs in there.
Going back all the years to 2007 I can remember only two scenarios where a firmware update would brick your unit:
- faulty eeprom: you update the firmware (=flash the eeprom) and the chip goes bonkers. Totally unrelated to the kind of firmware used for the update (any number, release or beta)
- using an RME Fireface (?) for update with Std./Ultra units bricked several units by corrupting the firmware, despite a correct checksum. Haven't read anything like that with the Axe II. You'd use its own USB connection anyway.

Thanks for the detailed tech breakdown. Helped me understand the ups and downs of these Betas. Used Fractal Bot to back up and then flashed 11b and it's working great!

I may be a newb to the axe but lets be honest, in this day and age it doesnt matter what piece of technology you're dealing with its only common sense to have a DR strategy. Mine usually includes backups if possible and a rollback plan (I apply this strategy to all device updates, from cell phones and tablets to even my satellite dish receiver...).

I'm just happy that Cliff implemented the firmware updates in a way that makes it painless to roll back. Many (most?) devices don't support rolling back to an earlier firmware version after you've updated them.

I may be dense, but I looked for a way to back up using Fractal Bot, and it said reading from the device wasn't supported yet (I used Axe-Manage--not Edit--to back up before updating). Now that I look, I have Fractal Bot version 1.1.0. Was this added in the latest version? If so, I'll definitely get it. Another policy I have based on being burned by past upgrades: don't change your configuration unless there's a compelling reason to (e.g. 11b)! I was mainly worried about possibly having to update the USB drivers (which are more fragile) along with Fractal Bot.

I'm just happy that Cliff implemented the firmware updates in a way that makes it painless to roll back. Many (most?) devices don't support rolling back to an earlier firmware version after you've updated them.

I may be dense, but I looked for a way to back up using Fractal Bot, and it said reading from the device wasn't supported yet (I used Axe-Manage--not Edit--to back up before updating). Now that I look, I have Fractal Bot version 1.1.0. Was this added in the latest version? If so, I'll definitely get it. Another policy I have based on being burned by past upgrades: don't change your configuration unless there's a compelling reason to (e.g. 11b)! I was mainly worried about possibly having to update the USB drivers (which are more fragile) along with Fractal Bot.

Download 1.2.5 and you'll be good to go and backing up with no issue.

Fractal Audio Systems - Support

So I took the plunge !! Backed up with C3P0 and loaded 11beta, no issues.

The HBE is roaring for sure !! sounds great, my AC Top Boost sounds improved as well. Need more time to tinker....loving it so far.

One patch "juicy lead" from factory is now a bit muffled......have to investigate that, bass is rolled off, and cut is turned on. Any ideas ?

Thx Cliff, I am gonna gig it Saturday....if it doesn't rain ;)

ok so I downloaded the beta 11 firmware but before loading it to the axe, I googled
argentina soccer girls, So I sold my axe fx for plane ticket to argentina

... poor misled soul... don't you know photo-shopped seniors when you see them?... or is it señors... :p

This update is amazing. I feel like im about three steps behind on dialing in sounds now though. There are so many new features that its hard to keep it all straight. If someone has time to take some of us through how they dial in a tone using all of these new features, it would be much appreciated.

I got my axe a couple of weeks ago and since then there has been like two firmware updates and now the beta. Even though ive only made a few custom presets I was wise enough to use fractalbot and back up everything. I may be a newb to the axe but lets be honest, in this day and age it doesnt matter what piece of technology you're dealing with its only common sense to have a DR strategy. Mine usually includes backups if possible and a rollback plan (I apply this strategy to all device updates, from cell phones and tablets to even my satellite dish receiver...).
Reading posts on the forum and wiki has kept me in the know. Theres tons left for me to learn and I prefer to learn from my successes rather than failures. My two cents.. FWIW.

First thing I do everytime.
Fractalbot makes it super easy.

Thanks, Scott. Do I need the latest USB drivers as well, or can I use FB 1.2.5 with the USB drivers installed in April (don't know the actual USB kernel extension name to find the version)?

Depends on your computer; in most cases *YES* use the more recent driver; if you use WinVista then use 1.50.

Just got back from a short camping trip vacation and I couldn't help but think about this 11.0 Beta pretty much the whole time, so I did the backups and dived right into it. Well, now it really is that closer to the real amps in feel. As far as the low-end, all I can say is that it now has that thump that you can feel in your chest. It's noticeably more touch-sensitive with greater dynamics and will force you to play better, i.e. with more precision in your pick attack and in how you mute the unplayed strings. The sloppiness comes through much clearer now. The sound is now more three-dimensional as well. Is that "3D" thing exactly like some of the real tube amps that the Axe-Fx II models? I need more time with it at loud "gig" volume levels to get a better idea but, with the limited time I had with it so far, it's definitely more pronounced with 11.0.

I've only had the Axe-Fx II for a little over a month and this already feels like I got a new unit to replace the old. The difference in sound itself in most presets and amp types is not very noticeable but the feel factor is a major leap forward. I am not going back to 10.12 and will patiently wait for the final 11.0 while I just get more familiar with the amp types. At least half of the joy of playing great tube amps is in the feel. Some cork-sniffing tube amp connoisseurs will say the feel is more than half of it. I'm of the mindset that it's about 50-50. FW11 Beta shows that Cliff really does understand the importance of feel. FW10 feels really good but it's just not the same - different in a good way. Now, it's much closer and feels even better.

Some boutique amp maker once said that his design goal is to make the amp feel like the guitar's strings are connected directly to the speaker. Well, FW11 somewhat captures that mindset and I'm sure it'll only get better.8)

I was quite intrigued by the recent Boutique amps blind listening test that Guitarist magazine recently did. They managed to guess wrong on several of the amps, even with their expert ears, and the conclusion was that it was easier to pick a favourite when actually playing than it was listening to somebody else play through them. In essence, the amp itself didn't matter to the listener, only the player. If the player gets the 'feel' they want from their amp/speaker then they'll play better, which benefits the listener. So we can draw from this that the 'feel' plays a huge part in it.

Back
Top Bottom