Get Yer 11.0 Beta Here!

The gain is the same but it will feel like it has more gain because the gain is attack dependent. The harder you dig in the more "gain" you get.

Interesting, on TGP, when FW10 came out, someone posted clips of the ODS100 and a maker of clones chimed in that it was super impressive, that he could live with it and it nailed the tone but was missing ever so slightly some of the pick attack dynamics where the notes "jumped off the guitar". Would that altered pick attack response affect this dynamic in the D-style amps?

Whenever you do something like a firmware upgrade, and *especially* when trying beta firmware - you MUST back up *EVERYTHING* first. Failure to do so will lead to losing data, presets, etc. at some point.

Beta is beta - and that means if you dare it, you are risking everything you have saved to try it.

If you have a backup, it's no big deal and really no risk at all - you can always recover if you HAVE the backups. Failure to have those backups will burn you at some point sooner or later if you do not.

I recommend people due periodic backups even if they do NOT try beta software and even if there is a backup in the can (or computer, as it is better said). Not doing so is playing with fire and you *will* get burnt at some point. With a everything (system and bank files) backed up via the ROM (Utility - Preset - "Back up User Bank A" and "Back Up System") and remotely saved (on a computer or better yet in the cloud via DropBox or the like) the same via FractalBot makes for a prudent way of operating.

Better than insurance because it is insurance for *FREE*. Use your backup capability and be happy.

Whenever you do something like a firmware upgrade, and *especially* when trying beta firmware - you MUST back up *EVERYTHING* first. Failure to do so will lead to losing data, presets, etc. at some point.

Beta is beta - and that means if you dare it, you are risking everything you have saved to try it.

If you have a backup, it's no big deal and really no risk at all - you can always recover if you HAVE the backups. Failure to have those backups will burn you at some point sooner or later if you do not.

I recommend people due periodic backups even if they do NOT try beta software and even if there is a backup in the can (or computer, as it is better said). Not doing so is playing with fire and you *will* get burnt at some point. With a everything (system and bank files) backed up via the ROM (Utility - Preset - "Back up User Bank A" and "Back Up System") and remotely saved (on a computer or better yet in the cloud via DropBox or the like) the same via FractalBot makes for a prudent way of operating.

Better than insurance because it is insurance for *FREE*. Use your backup capability and be happy.

Great post Scott. I have been hesitant to take the Beta plunge because I know all about the pitfalls of Beta bugs and have seen people brick Android phones with Beta software. Has a brick of the unit ever occurred? Would it be reversible with the backup of non-beta software?

Great post Scott. I have been hesitant to take the Beta plunge because I know all about the pitfalls of Beta bugs and have seen people brick Android phones with Beta software. Has a brick of the unit ever occurred? Would it be reversible with the backup of non-beta software?

I haven't loaded it .....yet....but for a Beta, I do not see much in the way of problem posts..........looking good.

Has a brick of the unit ever occurred?

Not because of a firmware revision itself or any bugs in there.
Going back all the years to 2007 I can remember only two scenarios where a firmware update would brick your unit:
- faulty eeprom: you update the firmware (=flash the eeprom) and the chip goes bonkers. Totally unrelated to the kind of firmware used for the update (any number, release or beta)
- using an RME Fireface (?) for update with Std./Ultra units bricked several units by corrupting the firmware, despite a correct checksum. Haven't read anything like that with the Axe II. You'd use its own USB connection anyway.

Where you hooked up via USB to something ? Using AE ? Any details will help FAS.

First lockup I was hooked up via USB with Lemur also going in midi and using AES to run to my RME UFX. The I pulled digital connection. Second lockup, it was hooked up to the computer USB, but I wasn't using the connection for anything (no Axe Edit running and NOT using it as audio interface) and I had Lemur up, but wasn't doing anything with it. It wiped out the whole preset when it went down the 2nd time and the preset showed as "blank" when I rebooted.

After the 2nd lockup I reloaded 10.12 and it all works fine. I don't have time to mess with it as I have a gig tonight and 2 lockups were enough to scare me off using it live for now.

Too bad though. I'll reload it as soon as my gigs are done this weekend because it sounded fantastic. I had the most beautiful touch sensitive ODS100 lead patch that took about a minute to make. The dynamics of both clean and driven sounds were blowing my mind.

Being in the technology industry, saving backups is a must and having them saved in multiple locations is not a bad thing to do because backup hard disks could go bad and there is a chance of losing things in the cloud. If you can save them on a local hard disk, the cloud and a flash drive, you'll always have access to them...

Ok, so on a whim I decided to dust off the GT1000fx and plug into a real cab. With this setup the difference between FW10 and 11 is MASSIVE. I've always hated the axe through real cabs, never sounded right. Now it sounds very VERY right.

Really? 11 beta??? I'm just getting my presets the way I like them in 10! Sigh... I think I'll be waiting for an update that includes a new Axe Edit or an official firmware that will be compatible with current patches. The current Axe Edit band aid is feeling the pain of all the updates to 10. AE crashes all the time and it use to be very stable for me. :(

It's difficult to make concrete progress when firmwares are always in such flux! Not complaining, just would love to enjoy the progress and help if I could, but I have too much time invested in my work in 10 to change just yet.

Here's to hoping that 11 is developed to not alter our current preset sounds too much. Hey! Isn't that what mimic was supposed to do? :(

Back
Top Bottom