General Question

Louder unplugged from the Axe-Fx (not unplugged from the guitar)? With no guitar cable at all? If that's true, then something is not right.

That sounds exactly like guitar noise.

I original misunderstand. I unplug cable from guitar. This make much noise and squeal. Now I unplug Cable from axe and it quiet as can be. The noise come from gain

you are plugged into the back of the axe fx. you should plug into the front input

do your monitors have a volume control on them? how many watts are they? where is the output 1 knob set on the front of the axe fx?

are you using balanced or unbalanced cables from the axe to the monitors? the outputs you are using are for unbalanced cables only. you should use the xlr outputs which are balanced, assuming your monitors have xlr inputs

something is very wrong and we need to fix it

Are the factory presets noisy aswell or is it just your presets?

Does the "clip" LED light up when you play?

In I/O button menu, check the input level of input 1 rear: if you strum hard, the red LED should just be "tickled"

In I/O button menu, check the input mode:
Input 1 left select should be set to "rear"
Input 1 mode should be set to "mono"
Output 1 mode should be set to "stereo".
The pad/boost mode should be set to 0.

Check the global amp gain (not the preset amp gain... there is a global setting affecting all presets). It should be set to 0.

Set the XLR ground lift on the back of your Axe back to off. It's currently ON from the picture. It doesn't really matter since you don't use the XLR outs, but it's safer as you might forget about it the next time you plug in analogue.

In your preset layout, go to the "Gate" tab and turn it off.

In your preset layout, go to the "output/mix" tab and check if everything is on zero.

@ Simeon: Using the rear input is perfectly fine. I only use rear and never had any noise issues.

You can download the GERMAN manual on g66.eu:
http://www.g66.eu/images/Manuals/Axe-Fx_II_Manual_DE.pdf

Last edited:
chaps - do you think he should do a system reset?

herr wolfe - did you buy your axe new, or used?

you are plugged into the back of the axe fx. you should plug into the front input

do your monitors have a volume control on them? how many watts are they? where is the output 1 knob set on the front of the axe fx?

are you using balanced or unbalanced cables from the axe to the monitors? the outputs you are using are for unbalanced cables only. you should use the xlr outputs which are balanced, assuming your monitors have xlr inputs

I am confuse about this. First it is said XLR is for microphone only and not to use. Now you say to use XLR for monitor. I am use balance cable into balance TRS port on monitor. It is into unbalanced TRS port on axe, as you say. But there is no output that says balanced on axe that use TRS. Why balance TRS on monitor and not axe? The monitor do have XLR port as well but TRS can not go into XLR. Are you say I buy wrong cable? I now need XLR? I hope not, balance TRS cable was very expensive. I was tell that balance TRS is perfect working with axe. I move Instrument to front input. This make big change with noise, noise do go down. Thank for advice! Less noise is good :D Do you do know why rear was loud and squeal?

Are the factory presets noisy aswell or is it just your presets?

Does the "clip" LED light up when you play?

In I/O button menu, check the input level of input 1 rear: if you strum hard, the red LED should just be "tickled"

In I/O button menu, check the input mode:
Input 1 left select should be set to "rear"
Input 1 mode should be set to "mono"
Output 1 mode should be set to "stereo".
The pad/boost mode should be set to 0.

Check the global amp gain (not the preset amp gain... there is a global setting affecting all presets). It should be set to 0.

Set the XLR ground lift on the back of your Axe back to off. It's currently ON from the picture. It doesn't really matter since you don't use the XLR outs, but it's saver as you might forget about it the next time you plug in analogue.

In your preset layout, go to the "Gate" tab and turn it off.

In your preset layout, go to the "output/mix" tab and check if everything is on zero.

@ Simeon: Using the rear input is perfectly fine. I only use rear and never had any noise issues.

You can download the GERMAN manual on g66.eu:
http://www.g66.eu/images/Manuals/Axe-Fx_II_Manual_DE.pdf

No the clip do not lights up. I set input correct. I know not what tickled is but red do not light up when string hit hard. I move XLR ground switch to other side. I know not if on or off, axe do not say. Amp gain is zero. Thank you for output stereo setting freind! I had them correct set though. All output mix setting is zero. Thank most kindly for manual translation, but I need Arabic :-| It is long shot lol. Factory preset were very noisey, I delete them. Move instrument cable to front is much quiet now, but I am confuse my freinds. I use front input when I first get the axe. It was still very noise! I switch to back and no different noise. Now I switch front and there is no noise! Can this be explain?

chaps - do you think he should do a system reset?

herr wolfe - did you buy your axe new, or used?

I buy it new and do system reset before upgrade to 13! I do this to try to delete factory preset because they were very noise! I think that not will help

I am confuse about this. First it is said XLR is for microphone only and not to use. Now you say to use XLR for monitor. I am use balance cable into balance TRS port on monitor. It is into unbalanced TRS port on axe, as you say. But there is no output that says balanced on axe that use TRS. Why balance TRS on monitor and not axe? The monitor do have XLR port as well but TRS can not go into XLR. Are you say I buy wrong cable? I now need XLR? I hope not, balance TRS cable was very expensive. I was tell that balance TRS is perfect working with axe. I move Instrument to front input. This make big change with noise, noise do go down. Thank for advice! Less noise is good :D Do you do know why rear was loud and squeal?
As the output of the Axe is line level, it shouldn't matter much if you use it balanced or unbalanced. XLR is the better option since it's balanced by default, studier and cheaper, but the amount of noise coming from going unbalanced into the monitor should not matter really.

No the clip do not lights up. I set input correct. I know not what tickled is but red do not light up when string hit hard. I move XLR ground switch to other side. I know not if on or off, axe do not say. Amp gain is zero. Thank you for output stereo setting freind! I had them correct set though. All output mix setting is zero. Thank most kindly for manual translation, but I need Arabic :-| It is long shot lol. Factory preset were very noisey, I delete them. Move instrument cable to front is much quiet now, but I am confuse my freinds. I use front input when I first get the axe. It was still very noise! I switch to back and no different noise. Now I switch front and there is no noise! Can this be explain?
If the factory presets are noisy, then it's either your environment or hardware that is to blame.
Also, there is no explaination why the front input should be less noisy (there is a difference, but it's very minor!).

I suspect a damaged cable or plugs. Try a different cable! Maybe the shielding got damaged.

Also, try to do a USB recording. Is it noisy aswell?
Unplug USB and reboot the Axe. Is the noise gone?
Turn everything in your room, including computer, lights, wireless routers, etc. OFF. Does that help?

The monitor do have level control. It is center on each. They are be 150 watt each. Output is little less than half up on axe. I think everything correct set up. It just this preset, do not want to do stereo. Should Start over, no? I can not seem to fix stereo problem

As the output of the Axe is line level, it shouldn't matter much if you use it balanced or unbalanced. XLR is the better option since it's balanced by default, studier and cheaper, but the amount of noise coming from going unbalanced into the monitor should not matter really.

Thank you for knowledge, I am glad my cable are fine!

If the factory presets are noisy, then it's either your environment or hardware that is to blame.
Also, there is no explaination why the front input should be less noisy (there is a difference, but it's very minor!).

This confuse me as well freind! There is never noise difference before now. I change input often and it never different before this night!

I suspect a damaged cable or plugs. Try a different cable! Maybe the shielding got damaged.

I try different balance cable, no different noise in back. Still no noise in front!

Also, try to do a USB recording. Is it noisy aswell?
Unplug USB and reboot the Axe. Is the noise gone?
Turn everything in your room, including computer, lights, wireless routers, etc. OFF. Does that help?

Turn everything off make no different sound. USB record no noise in front, same noise in rear! Maybe rear input port bad?

Wait a sec - you use balanced cables from your guitar to the Axe?

That might explain the difference in noise between front and rear input. A guitar output is always unbalanced. The front input of the Axe is unbalanced. The rear input of the Axe, however, is balanced.
Use a traditional (shielded) guitar cable between guitar and Axe!
Do not use an (unshielded) speaker cable!

I am sure of it brother! When I buy axe, I buy Monster cables from guitar centre. They say cable best I can buy. The package all say balanced from what remember. I remember sales man say to get balance cable so that is what I buy!

That might explain the difference in noise between front and rear input. A guitar output is always unbalanced. The front input of the Axe is unbalanced. The rear input of the Axe, however, is balanced.
Use a traditional (shielded) guitar cable between guitar and Axe!
Do not use an (unshielded) speaker cable!

How do tell a difference? How do confirm that my cable is balance? Is these cable here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/monster-cable-performer-500-speaker-cable-1-4

no, he's using balanced cables from the axe to the monitors. the jack sockets in the back of the axe are UNBALANCED outputs. this may explain some of the noise, because one of the pins is not connected to anything at the axe end!

you need to get two of these - http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/...-font-b-1-b-font-font-b-4-b-font-TRS-font.jpg - to convert your balanced jack cables to xlr, so you can use the xlr outputs on the back of the axe. or just buy two new cables - either xlr to xlr, or xlr to trs jack, depending what the connection is on the back of the monitors. xlr is not for mic only - it's just another type of connection.

How do tell a difference? How do confirm that my cable is balance? Is these cable here: Monster Cable Performer 500 Speaker Cable 1/4" | Musician's Friend

no, this is not a balanced cable

UNBALANCED cable, or TS Jack - http://www.gggaudio.co.nz/store/image/cache/data/acpmgn-2048x2048.jpg
BALANCED cable, or TRS Jack - http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/images/asti-22-TRS

use the unbalanced cable from the guitar to the axe fx

use balanced cables from the axe fx to the monitors. the jack outputs on the back of the axe fx are unbalanced, so you need to use the xlr outputs. you can use a cable like this - http://www.alectrosystems.com/alectro/catalog/images/products/ASITRSNC3FX.jpg

or like this - http://images.esellerpro.com/2225/I/230/4/medscale20001-6_2.jpg

Global stereo settings are found my pressing the I/O button, then pressing the Page button to get to the Audio widow.

ok, to summarise

he's been using speaker cables, not instrument cables, because the guy in the shop where he bought them was a total douche

speaker cables are unshielded, so no shielding from the guitar to the axe

he's also been using them from the axe to the monitors. the connection in the monitors is likely to be for trs balanced cables, or xlr, so not only does he have no shielding between the axe and the monitors, he's using unbalanced cables anyway

he needs to go back to the shop in punch the salesman in the face. he then needs to go to another shop and buy three new cables - one good quality instrument cable and two balanced cables with female xlr's at one end and either male xlr's at the other, or trs jacks, depending on the connections in his monitors.

Back
Top Bottom