GAS: New 2020 PRS 594's

Oh and I know that hardtail Jem you mentioned.... those are super hard to find. That pyramid thing below the bridge is so ugly, but other than that yeah it'd have been a perfect jem. I wish japan would set up a custom shop for jem/universe so that we could order hardtail versions and also design our own colors etc.

I want a guitar that has the tone of the Jem 7VWH but without the Floyd. I like a lot of different guitars and styles of music, but I don't like playing guitars with tremelos.

Also another question... on prs site, they mention "Artist Package Option".... is that how people get prs guitars with the outlines of the birds? Because I've never seen outlined birds for sale but have seen a few people with them.

You're not going to get the tone of the JEM without the Floyd. The tremolo affects the sound of the guitar considerably - think about the physical difference between a hard tail and a tremolo, how all of the components couple, the materials being used, and what the strings are connected/anchored to. Hard tails vary considerably as well - Fender style string through the body, tune-o-matic with a tailpiece, tune-o-matic with string through the body, one piece wrap around bridge/tailpiece.

If I wanted a 7VWH sound with a hard tail - I'd be looking at Ibanez. There's a number of RG/RGA guitars with hard tails. I would avoid the ultra thin necks on a bunch of those though - most JEMs have had thicker necks than the typical 17mm Wizard necks. The current JEMs are 18mm at the nut but most of the JEMs over the years have been 19mm at the nut.

Or find one of these used:
https://reverb.com/item/6041940-ibanez-jem-7eafx-hard-tail-2009-black

The type of birds has varied over the years with different models - I've never tried to figure it out.

I think it'd be fine - those are great pickups. But it's really missing the point of getting a 594.

Had a couple of JEMs and really hated the installed Evolution pickups.
So cold sounding... Power without tone.

I never liked Vai's live tone either, back in the day when I went to his concerts (even though I love his records).

Hippietim - one last question.... do you really think the quality of the PRS 594 is really better than say even the 60th annivseray 1959 les pauls they released this year? They sell for $6,500 each. Very interested to hear anyones opinions on that

Hippietim - one last question.... do you really think the quality of the PRS 594 is really better than say even the 60th annivseray 1959 les pauls they released this year? They sell for $6,500 each. Very interested to hear anyones opinions on that

I have no objective way to answer this question because I haven't played one of the 60th guitars. I would think that they're pretty darn nice guitars.

But even for the same price, I would take the PRS because the Gibson is trying to replicate everything about a 59 Les Paul including the things I consider negatives. The 594 captures the essence of the 59 but fixes the problems with it. And I really don't care about things that the collectors are worried about like period correct plastics for the truss rod cover.

all things being not equal, sounds to me like it's down to something he came up with for the pickups. probably working on mayers strat, led to something.

Interesting take on it. I wonder how a pair of Aldrich pickups would sound in the 594
I've been reading your posts in this thread and it really doesn't seem like a 594 is for you. Have you played one? If not, why would you want to change it before even laying your hands on one? 594's are built to capture a vintage vibe (but improved), I could be wrong but I don't think that's what you're after.

All wrong. The 58/15 pickups are spectacular and perfect for this guitar. A PRS with the right pickups is magic. I think a lot of the hate they got early on was because Dragon and Dragon II PUs are total blah. My old faithful is a ‘95 Standard 24 that took me years to find the right pickups for it. But it’s dialed in now and unreal good, versatile. The neck on it is like home.
Couldn't agree more. I had a Santana model, loved the neck and feel of the guitar. It sounded great playing Santana but pretty much sucked at anything else. Can't even remember how many sets of pickups I tried in it till I eventually gave up and put the original pups back in it and sold it. As you said above, "A PRS with the right pickup is magic" and these 594's are just that, not to mention the neck profile!

Last edited:
I want a guitar that has the tone of the Jem 7VWH but without the Floyd. I like a lot of different guitars and styles of music, but I don't like playing guitars with tremelos.

Also another question... on prs site, they mention "Artist Package Option".... is that how people get prs guitars with the outlines of the birds? Because I've never seen outlined birds for sale but have seen a few people with them.
2 easy options would be to block the trem or put a tremnol on your Jem or do you not like placing your hand on the trem?

I've got the hots for one of these white 594 single cuts. Unfortunately, they're Wood Library so no price break for plain top. :(

Back
Top Bottom