GAS: New 2020 PRS 594's

Yeah, after getting the Silver Sky, these are on my radar. I need to play a few at the lovely and demure WildWood Guitars.

Love Howard Leese. He jumped in ably during the great disturbance with Heart (Roger and Derosier fired.)

Not sure that the interviewer isn't a bit...biased. There were a few times I liked the 59 better than the 594, but hey, it's a promo vid.

also, on these, are the frets more easily accessible on the dc vs the sc, or is it all the same?

I am confused, are these new models? I thought 594 had been out already a year or more?

I have 2 594s. They are the first guitars other than a Les Paul to deliver on what I want from a Les Paul. The tone and feel are spot on. The PRS difference is that it is superior ergonomically.

I'm still not understanding what is the difference between the ones that came out 2016 and the 2020 ones? I've been watching demos of these the last hour, I've never owned a PRS, but all this hype is intriguing.

How do you all suppose a 594 hardtail would sound with a pair of Dimarzio Evolution pickups?
All wrong. The 58/15 pickups are spectacular and perfect for this guitar. A PRS with the right pickups is magic. I think a lot of the hate they got early on was because Dragon and Dragon II PUs are total blah. My old faithful is a ‘95 Standard 24 that took me years to find the right pickups for it. But it’s dialed in now and unreal good, versatile. The neck on it is like home.

Last edited:
How do you all suppose a 594 hardtail would sound with a pair of Dimarzio Evolution pickups?

I think it'd be fine - those are great pickups. But it's really missing the point of getting a 594. The 594 is really about PRS nailing the vintage Les Paul tone and feel. The 594 refers to the scale length of Paul's favorite 50s Gibsons which were 24 19/32 (24.59375). The Evolutions were designed for a modern Fender scale 24 fret guitar with a Floyd. It can't hurt to try it and see if you like it.

When you say ergonomically superior, do you mean upper fret access is easier on the PRS 594 than it is on a Les Paul?

The most important things to me are that the 594 is a little better balanced as it hangs, the upper fret access is a lot more comfortable because of the heel, the placement of the tuners is better.

Another thing, PRS quality is much more consistent than a Gibson these days (even the more expensive ones). Finding a great PRS is easy. Finding a great Gibson is a lot more hit even if you spend big bucks on VOS/Historic 59.

I'm still not understanding what is the difference between the ones that came out 2016 and the 2020 ones? I've been watching demos of these the last hour, I've never owned a PRS, but all this hype is intriguing.

From the PRS 594 web page:

"For 2020, PRS has updated this model with TCI-tuned pickups and nitro over celluose (CAB) finish."

Basically, Paul Reed Smith and Co are constantly refining how they build guitars. Every improvement they discover works its way into production.

All wrong. The 58/15 pickups are spectacular and perfect for this guitar. A PRS with the right pickups is magic. I think a lot of the hate they got early on was because Dragon and Dragon II PUs are total blah. My old faithful is a ‘95 Standard 24 that took me years to find the right pickups for it. But it’s dialed in now and unreal good, versatile. The neck on it is like home.

I see.
Do you have a recommendation of a hardtail guitar that would be very well suited for the Evolution bridge/neck pickups?
I don't like Jems because of the tremelos.

Do you feel there is a tone difference between a sc 594 vs a dc 594?

nitro over cellous? is that the same as the old thin coats of nitrocellulose? I just found the phrase nitro over cellulose curious?

Well, I guess I should go look up the improvement of the TCI over the low tuned ones they used before.

The video above does sound very impressive.

I see.
Do you have a recommendation of a hardtail guitar that would be very well suited for the Evolution bridge/neck pickups?
I don't like Jems because of the tremelos.

Do you feel there is a tone difference between a sc 594 vs a dc 594?

I've never played a hard tail guitar with Evolutions - just JEMs and a Strat parts guitar with a Floyd. Ibanez made a hard tail JEM for about a year or so - I don't remember if that had Evolutions or not but that'd be a good candidate. Just curious, what is it that you're trying to achieve with the Evolution pickups specifically?

I didn't notice any difference tonally between the SC 594 and DC 594.

I want a guitar that has the tone of the Jem 7VWH but without the Floyd. I like a lot of different guitars and styles of music, but I don't like playing guitars with tremelos.

Also another question... on prs site, they mention "Artist Package Option".... is that how people get prs guitars with the outlines of the birds? Because I've never seen outlined birds for sale but have seen a few people with them.

Back
Top Bottom