FW 12.04beta - yay!

wembley

Inspired
Just have to express how pleased I am with this upgrade. I won't bore you with the struggles I've had through the last updates, I've been moaning so much I even had Cliff PM me a couple of suggestions, which in this context pretty much equals having the pope on the phone trying to tell you you're not going to Hell.

But 12.04 really changes things. You can hear and feel the changes on low volume, it really sounds great recorded, but approaching gig levels it really shows. Several amp models I've been using benefit from this, especially the Marshalls, imo. I've struggled with the JCM 800 since I got the Axe 2, but now it sounds punchy and clear, yet warm and articulate. The highs were way sweeter although still with a bite, and the amp responded way better in all registers both single notes and chords. I've not used this model the last year and a half (worked great with my 335 on the Ultra) but now I took it to a gig the same day I updated, and every freakin' chord I struck that night brought a smile to my face. And I hardly touched any parametres on the amps, apart from volume and gain.

I'd spent so much time making this work for me without luck that I had photographed it to put it up for sale just a couple of days ago. I've been using regular amps + a KPA for the last half year, but this really changes everything. Hard to believe that this only qualifies as a jump from .03 to .04; to my ears it's one of the biggest jumps in tone and feel I've heard from any FW upgrade. I'm rigging it for a studio session tomorrow and I'm so looking forward to hearing it with different guitars in a mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. I'm diggin' everything I'm hearing.

There's even some amps I didn't care for before I'm starting to like now.

Huge change.

i was gonna wait for 13, but on a whim i installed 12.04b to see what all the fuss was about (i was still on 12.02). i was quite nervous about having to reset all my amps and fix all my multidelays and re-do my globals, but i didn't have a single problem. i noticed a very slight difference between the reset amp and my original preset, so i ran "update all presets" and the difference disappeared. i've been messing around (just at bedroom level) for the last half an hour and i'm really liking it. i'll tweak my patches up next week and they will sound great!

therefore i concur...yay!!

i was gonna wait for 13, but on a whim i installed 12.04b to see what all the fuss was about (i was still on 12.02). i was quite nervous about having to reset all my amps and fix all my multidelays and re-do my globals, but i didn't have a single problem. i noticed a very slight difference between the reset amp and my original preset, so i ran "update all presets" and the difference disappeared. i've been messing around (just at bedroom level) for the last half an hour and i'm really liking it. i'll tweak my patches up next week and they will sound great!

I'm really diggin 12.04b too. Highs seem smoother to me.

Question about the presets... before doing the upgrade I backed up all my presets. I backed them up both onboard and to my Macbook Pro.

Next I updated all the preset via FractalBot.

Then I copied back all my custom presets from the onboard backup to their proper locations.

Are the backup presets (from 12.02) compatible with 12.04b?

I did run into some goofiness with delays where it seemed I had infinite delay feedback... I fixed that... but is there anything else I should check?

So those of us 12b04'ers that have not run Update All Presets are missing the full tonal bliss of this beta FW update?

FW 12.04 - yay!

How does one run "update all presets"?
For the record I have not updated to 12.04b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk using the world's most ironically named cell phone company; sprint.

So those of us 12b04'ers that have not run Update All Presets are missing the full tonal bliss of this beta FW update?

Update all presets made a night and day difference for me. I was having all kind of issues before doing it. None of my patches got screwed up as others have suggested but I dont use global blocks.

Update all presets? I haven't seen this. What are we talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk using the world's most ironically named cell phone company; sprint.

Update all presets made a night and day difference for me. I was having all kind of issues before doing it. None of my patches got screwed up as others have suggested but I dont use global blocks.

Yeah, fixed me up, too. I was not happy with the sound at all after the update to FW12.04b (even posted a thread about it), but after doing the "update all presets" it sounds "right".

FYI, this FW update fixes the issue with the global blocks (see the release notes) so no worries there.

Kevin

To be clear on what Update Presets do, it recalls and saves all presets. This saves the preset in the new preset format.
You could the same thing by manually going to a preset and hitting save. Of course that would take a while :)

Oh thanks fellas.
Seems like everyday I'm still learning something New about this box.
Cheers

ok, having a little more time to listen today, i would say there is a subtle but sugnificant difference in tone when resetting the amp

i've been doing this (try it and see if agree)...

load patch
make a note of any advanced parameters you may have tweaked (MV, depth, inout trim etc)
choose a different amp and then go back to the original (or double click bypass)
put advanced params back to your preferences
play around for a few minutes, playing special attention to the bottom end, lower mids and dynamics
choose a different patch and then go back to the original
play some more

i notice a slight difference in feel and thunkiness on my high gain patches (classic rock, not djenty) and i also notice a difference in the top end on my mid gain patches

give it a go and see what you think

the differences are positive (for me)

Finally sucked it up and ran Update All Presets in the Utility > Preset menu.

You can't sidestep this update if you want to enjoy the full fruit of Cliff's 12b04 gift to us.

Everything is just better and more "real" - I mean literally more real - no cliche!

EDIT: I'm thinking "real" partially means 3D. Huge 3D improvement in every block.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom