Friedman Master Volume

I also wonder how the turned up master volume and plexi tone stack would sound with the Big Hair amp model. That will be cool to try

Just tried it, and it was interesting, but it felt like the amp was falling apart at high MV. I'm not knowledgeable enough to mod it to handle the MV better. This has always been an amp that's tough for me, maybe because of my style of playing or something like that.

Finally got a chance to upload the preset. Let me know what you guys think? Suggestions, etc.. Please take note that this preset shows LT Mix 7 as the cab, because I use 3rd party IRs and had to change them out. If you have these cabs, give them a try. In cab slot 1, I'm using YA FDMN Blend Mix 1 panned hard left 100% and in Cab 2, I'm using the OH Moabi LRG 121+88 panned hard right 100%.

I only have that York Audio IR, so I just put that mono. It was cool, but presets anyone else makes rarely sound right on my guitar; like it sounded kind of hollow and far away to me, but I'm sure that's my guitar and the lack of the OH IR. But it still had a good mojo to it to me. I wouldn't change anything with it if it's inspiring you with your guitar. That's what's important. For suggestions maybe if you post a recording with it, it would give some context for how you guitar is pushing it.

I only have that York Audio IR, so I just put that mono. It was cool, but presets anyone else makes rarely sound right on my guitar; like it sounded kind of hollow and far away to me, but I'm sure that's my guitar and the lack of the OH IR. But it still had a good mojo to it to me. I wouldn't change anything with it if it's inspiring you with your guitar. That's what's important. For suggestions maybe if you post a recording with it, it would give some context for how you guitar is pushing it.
It’s interesting, because I loaded up your preset to try out and it was feeding back and squealing like crazy. I’m playing through an R0 with Custombuckers. I’m monitoring through a QSC 10.2 set to studio monitor mode (flattest setting). This is also a live preset, so I have low and high cuts on the PEQ. What are you monitoring through and did you turn it up to gig volume?

This may sound dumb, but I’ve never recorded through my Fractal. What’s the easiest way to record a clip and post it? Do I need a DAW and a SoundCloud account?

I’m a big fan of Wall Of Sound (two-notes). I have about 250 cabs from their collection and find even with movable mics, some cabs just work better with some amps and guitar combinations. I currently own 4 physical cabs and know which sound good with which amps.
I just created an IR for my FM3 based on the Wall of sound and it sounds really good - I'm thinking about getting some more packs - are there any that you recommend?

WoS is just IRs. Voxengo DeConvolver is error-prone. It works but you gotta be careful when using it. The built-in IR Capture utility in the Axe-Fx is pretty much bullet-proof.
I'm using the WoS with Voxengo for my FM3 - May I ask what things I need to be careful with when using it?

It’s interesting, because I loaded up your preset to try out and it was feeding back and squealing like crazy. I’m playing through an R0 with Custombuckers. I’m monitoring through a QSC 10.2 set to studio monitor mode (flattest setting). This is also a live preset, so I have low and high cuts on the PEQ. What are you monitoring through and did you turn it up to gig volume?

I think in general presets are only going to sound good if your guitar sounds like the one the preset creator is playing through, and your pick and technique are similar enough. I live in a 500 square foot apartment, so I only play through headphones for the time being. But we’re looking at buying a house soon, and hopefully that will change. 🙂

Buy I think this doesn’t at all mean your preset is bad or anything like that; it’s just that with me playing on my guitar, it emphasizes different frequencies. Vice versa. That’s why a recording can help too; it shows the context the preset was created for.

I just created an IR for my FM3 based on the Wall of sound and it sounds really good - I'm thinking about getting some more packs - are there any that you recommend?

With WoS you never have to guess what will sound good with your guitar. You can audition every cab before you buy, and each is sold individually in addition to the packs that are available.

LOL I’ve sold all of my analog gear. The last Friedman I had was a Dirty Shirley, which I understand is akin to a 2204 pre on a JTM45 power section. It felt more open, like my ‘80 2204 did, thus needed no mod. The ones I had before that were a Runt 50 and a Small Box. I liked the sound of the Small Box, but not the feel of it. Really happy that the FAS model sounds like it, but actually feels better!
I ve never owned a friedman but for me playing with fractal the feeling was not good too.. I cant explain but i couldn not play fast legato like a Marshall.. I switched to the Marshall jvm410hjs and i liked so much that i bought two heads.

Yeah, I tried it again last night and liked it much better with MV around 6/7 than dimed.
The big hair is a killer amp model. I like it a lot for hard rock or hair metal stuff. It sits in that eq range that cuts through very nicely.

I don’t know if their method got better or I’m just a sucker for artist packs but they seem to be knocking it out of the park lately. I really dug the Phil x and george lynch stuff.

What method are you guys using to capture IRs from Wall of Sound? I can’t figure it out using only the USB connection in the Axe. I’ve done it with Reaverb and Voxengo Convolver, but neither sounded right. I tried with the IR Capture utility last night, but I can’t tell if that is strictly for analog only connections. I’m thinking about just using the Tonematch Block.

I don’t know if their method got better or I’m just a sucker for artist packs but they seem to be knocking it out of the park lately. I really dug the Phil x and george lynch stuff.
What’s the difference between what you’re talking about versus just buying cab packs or IRs from other producers?

What’s the difference between what you’re talking about versus just buying cab packs or IRs from other producers?
Technically, nothing. They’ve used many studios and producers over the years to make DynIRs. With 250 or so of them, it’s honestly hard after 20 min or a half hour to choose. Imagine having so many physical cabs! Which do you pick? After a half hour you start to lose perspective and it’s hard to judge.

The DynIRs are so cheap anyway I just keep adding them to have a larger collection of them but I just gravitate to what worked prior. I think I picked up like 32 of them for around 200 bucks and got 100 back in coupons or something like that. They just had an insane sale.

What method are you guys using to capture IRs from Wall of Sound? I can’t figure it out using only the USB connection in the Axe. I’ve done it with Reaverb and Voxengo Convolver, but neither sounded right. I tried with the IR Capture utility last night, but I can’t tell if that is strictly for analog only connections. I’m thinking about just using the Tonematch Block.
I bet you can tone match the IRs from WOS somehow. Two Notes won’t let you shoot them from WOS, they want you to use their software. Kinda sucks when you want to use it with a modeler or something. You have to come out of the ecosystem then back in.

Back
Top Bottom