Friedman Master Volume

I’ve never cottoned to the stock Friedman models because of that inherent darkness. I’ve also kept them generally at low MV settings, but I think now that was a mistake. I tried for the first time to crank the MV on all the HBE models and that inherent darkness went away, leaving only this glorious modded Marshall tone, instantly supplanting my favorite OD / Plexi tones.

So I began thinking of it the opposite of a Plexi: With a Plexi, one might crank the MV in order to get away from the brittleness, but one might crank a Friedman to get away from the darkness.

My question is this: I know many users here own real Friedmans. Do you guys crank them in the real world? Do you find that with whatever cabs you guys use you don't perceive that overbearing low end?
The Friedman to get a Plexi sound is glorious. I like the higher gain models, and turn the gain down… they sound incredibly huge. I have a preset with that Moab cabinet, using a jumbo or something sized, and it is pure gold.

That is the Red Channel I think
The orange is the standard Marshall
I think it is the whole OD2 channel but I've never played a real one and don't completely understand it:
4. OD2 CHANNEL This channel is similar to the OD1 channel but with even more gain and a slightly different tone network with the Middle control shifted down to being centred around 500 Hz instead of the more typical Marshall value of 650 Hz. The result is 3 high gain modes that are ideal for both lead and modern rhythm metal tones.

The JVM Orange OD2 sounds 99% identical (and amazing) as the Friedman HBE C45 used to in Ares. It’s the amp I go to to get the Marshall-y high-gain modern metal (à la Perpihery:III). It’s probably one of the biggest surprises in Cygnus X2 for me! So woody yet so tight. One of the best mixes of chuggaliciousness and articulation. To my ears, it stands in between a 5150 and a Mesa Mark series amp. It’s odd the real amp gets a bad rep, but I guess most of Marshall’s recent offerings do.

It was awesome to learn that Fluff also based his live preset for his band around that exact model.
Can you take a peek and tell me what IR you're using with the JVM Orange OD2? Is it the stock cab that loads with the preset originally? Just curious as you make my want to revisit that model but at some point I tossed a 3rd party cab on it (and I can't seem to figure out how to revert back to the original preset...well I can, but that doesn't seem to apply to the cab). Thanks.

I only use non-master volume amps and i generally have them at killer volume level around 8, yet i control them with a very clean overdrive pedal volume knob and with the guitar volume knob. its perfect. Angus young near cranks the amps all the time and other than his schaffer pedal he has the volume on the guitar at around 3 only, and when he needs more, he simply turns the guitar volume knob and that single knob controls the marshall monster. There is far too many people who have turned into weak fluffy generation scared of volume that they go through many amps and never get to hear any of them properly, this can go on for decades. Marshall dont bite, they are like a well trained dog, YOU ARE THE MASTER VOLUME. I can stand right in front 2 inches from my super 100 non master volume full stack, right in front of it, and its so glorious, the tone, oh my the tone, and thats controlling it with the guitars volume knob and a very open and clean boost on the floor for extra volume control. Done deal. Its quiet ish, sustain more than any other amp on earth, and that amazing Marshall goodness that is NOT SQUASHED. :)

I only use non-master volume amps and i generally have them at killer volume level around 8, yet i control them with a very clean overdrive pedal volume knob and with the guitar volume knob. its perfect. Angus young near cranks the amps all the time and other than his schaffer pedal he has the volume on the guitar at around 3 only, and when he needs more, he simply turns the guitar volume knob and that single knob controls the marshall monster. There is far too many people who have turned into weak fluffy generation scared of volume that they go through many amps and never get to hear any of them properly, this can go on for decades. Marshall dont bite, they are like a well trained dog, YOU ARE THE MASTER VOLUME. I can stand right in front 2 inches from my super 100 non master volume full stack, right in front of it, and its so glorious, the tone, oh my the tone, and thats controlling it with the guitars volume knob and a very open and clean boost on the floor for extra volume control. Done deal. Its quiet ish, sustain more than any other amp on earth, and that amazing Marshall goodness that is NOT SQUASHED. :)
So that's how Angus does it... I've been trying to get his tone with my FM3.. got any tips for that? I'll be sure and keep my volume knob at 3. Which pedal and amp should I use on the Fractal?

Yeah man, sure. https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=462 The IR comes with presets based on the Friedman BE-100 V3 to try it out with BE Rhythm, HBE Rhythm, HBE Modern. We were on this thread back in July: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/ownhammer-moabi-custom.186084/
Who else has tried this IR and these presets. I like the IR a lot, from smaller cabs to large ones. It has a lot of clarity. But you know it goes with FAS modelers, there is so many ways to achieve great tone!

So that's how Angus does it... I've been trying to get his tone with my FM3.. got any tips for that? I'll be sure and keep my volume knob at 3. Which pedal and amp should I use on the Fractal?
my experience was with "real" amps in the room for the angus setup, so ill have to experiment with the axe fx to get similar. it will be radically different though,. because you feel the air moving and the volume in the room to fine the sweet spot tuning of the marshall monsters. you feel it. i only have high quality head phones for my axe fx 3, but ill see what i can do and get back to you with setting.

Looks like @ProgressiveRocco figured this out a while ago:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...the-livin’-end-solo-video.110651/post-1324311
amp-png.30257

Who else has tried this IR and these presets. I like the IR a lot, from smaller cabs to large ones. It has a lot of clarity. But you know it goes with FAS modelers, there is so many ways to achieve great tone!
The question was asked a while ago but I tested this IR and found it as good as you did in the beginning but the more I played the more I missed something, namely life.
If speakers were light, then this IR would be a led lamp and for example a Friedman IR would be open fire.
I hope I was able to express myself clearly.

I bought the Moabi pack when it came out but I’m not using them. They’re not bad. You can hear the wood in those IR’s. It’s a unique tone and color which some people will like. Wasn’t for me at the time so I moved on.

I like the Moabi pack to cop some early 00s Mesa V30-type tones with a twist. But it's not really my thing for classic rock or blues stuff, although you can use it. IMO, the pack sounds great in live contexts more than studio recordings owing to its mid-forward nature. IME, studio tones need to be a bit more scooped, especially when layering guitars, hence why the Moabi pack may not sound as lively in a track. The Moabi also sound pretty pleasing to my ears when playing alone, too, but that's probably because I like mid-forward cab tones. My two cents...

EDIT: keeping with the topic of this thread, friedman amps don't sound good with such cabs to me given just how much low-mids they have in general. Greenbacks can make the Friedman amps sound more open and dynamic, especially at higher MV settings. But chuck the Moabi in front of a JCM-type thing or a Dual Rectifier and it'll really shine.

Back
Top Bottom