Friedman Master Volume

The FM3 doesn't have the smoothing parameter, so I will be visiting this on the AX3 later this weekend.
In lieu of Smoothing in the cab block, see what you think about setting Cab>Preamp>PreampType to Tape35us. I used that as a starting point and I think still needed to tweak some eq to get there, but it certainly helped.

I have to say cranking the MV in the HBE is magic. I backed the preamp gain down to like 3 put a TS808 with a gain of 3 in front and brought the highs down to about 3 with the York OS V30 Mix 13 and that is what I am using for my lead patch now. It does my bogner fish lead tone better than the bogfish brown does.

James

I have to say cranking the MV in the HBE is magic. I backed the preamp gain down to like 3 put a TS808 with a gain of 3 in front and brought the highs down to about 3 with the York OS V30 Mix 13 and that is what I am using for my lead patch now. It does my bogner fish lead tone better than the bogfish brown does.

James

This is awesome to read. It’s funny, I’ve been cranking the power amp and the preamp gain on every Friedman, but now a few people have mentioned keeping the preamp gain low and boosting it. I’m excited to try that now.

I need to re-read this thread! I started with the factory preset for BE, C45 scene.

MV 7, plexi tone stack, dimed the mids, presence 7, depth 3-4, gain 3, input low cut 200hz, YA Mesa OS mix 1 cab, Mesa Large SIC, TS808 from the scene but turned its gain to 3.

It’s doing that sweet Marshall thing. I’m no modded Marshall connoisseur but it felt great. I’ve been on the 6CA7 + Klon w/ a little hair lately. I’ve spent zero time comparing, more work to do, great inspiration thread

I need to re-read this thread! I started with the factory preset for BE, C45 scene.

MV 7, plexi tone stack, dimed the mids, presence 7, depth 3-4, gain 3, input low cut 200hz, YA Mesa OS mix 1 cab, Mesa Large SIC, TS808 from the scene but turned its gain to 3.

It’s doing that sweet Marshall thing. I’m no modded Marshall connoisseur but it felt great. I’ve been on the 6CA7 + Klon w/ a little hair lately. I’ve spent zero time comparing, more work to do, great inspiration thread

Very awesome. The 6CA7 with an overdrive was my go to for a long time. These Friedmans are totally in that family.

Some great ideas here for amp tweaks! I have a dual amp patch with a BE C45 on one side and a Euro Blue on the other that I bumped up
the master a bit on both and set the Tonestacks to Plexi per this thread and love it!

Was messing around with the looper and that patch this morning.....I could do this all day!

Sounds awesome!

Some great ideas here for amp tweaks! I have a dual amp patch with a BE C45 on one side and a Euro Blue on the other that I bumped up
the master a bit on both and set the Tonestacks to Plexi per this thread and love it!

Was messing around with the looper and that patch this morning.....I could do this all day!

Okay, I loved this tone and feel, and I automatically felt like I was watching an awesome 80's detective movie. This is the inner city scene, with a manhole with steam coming out. F**king awesome.

Well I think I had pretty good luck yesterday with this experiment.
I used my FM3 for the test as I will be using it today live.
I ended up using 2 channels of the amp block, one with the input trim on about .35 and the other one at 1.0.
This way I can easily switch for a rhythm and lead tones. Using the guitar volume knob still gets me more flexibility for each channel, which I like.
The FM3 doesn't have the smoothing parameter, so I will be visiting this on the AX3 later this weekend.

Yesterday went well. I used the above settings and these.
MV 7.0, Amp Drive 3.5, Input Trim 0.3/1.0 for Channels A & B. Guitar is a core PRS Tremonti on the bridge pickup.
To my surprise the lead tone I heard out front at FOH was very clear, like I could add quite a bit more gain. Hmmm...
In the past I know my tone could be over saturated with gain and have no clarity, not yesterday.
This is going very well for me, enjoying the journey!

1662403084846.jpeg

I loved this so much I had to play it for my wife. She agreed with my story about the detective, but she added that the cops in the movie are definitely corrupt.

Yesterday went well. I used the above settings and these.
MV 7.0, Amp Drive 3.5, Input Trim 0.3/1.0 for Channels A & B. Guitar is a core PRS Tremonti on the bridge pickup.
To my surprise the lead tone I heard out front at FOH was very clear, like I could add quite a bit more gain. Hmmm...
In the past I know my tone could be over saturated with gain and have no clarity, not yesterday.
This is going very well for me, enjoying the journey!

View attachment 107855

Awesome. You are using way lower Amp Drive settings than I've been (I'm going really high), so I can imagine you're maybe hearing something like a way smoother Plexi, not really a boosted one, but like a straight Plexi, but not harsh at all? What model did you end up liking? I'm kind of finding that they're all just different shades of awesome. I believe the company tagline should be "Marshall without the problems" haha!

Slightly old thread, but I was also disappointed to find that the BE100 in particular was really woofy and mushy sounding the first time I tried it.
I gave up after tweaking and messing with low cuts to the cabs etc. Just used other amps and wrote this one off.

However, I've just read this thread and revisited the BE100 tonight. Pushed the master up to 7 - SO MUCH BETTER!
This amp now has the guts and tightness that I was hoping for. Thanks for sharing this info! 😍

Slightly old thread, but I was also disappointed to find that the BE100 in particular was really woofy and mushy sounding the first time I tried it.
I gave up after tweaking and messing with low cuts to the cabs etc. Just used other amps and wrote this one off.

However, I've just read this thread and revisited the BE100 tonight. Pushed the master up to 7 - SO MUCH BETTER!
This amp now has the guts and tightness that I was hoping for. Thanks for sharing this info! 😍

So completely awesome to read this! It was a big revaluation to me, and the different models really do open a new world of possibilities that are all different flavors of boosted Plexi type awesomeness! I just knew that I had read a ton of comments from forum members who own the real thing saying it was just the greatest thing ever, and they weren't all talking about modding them to lower the negative feedback, so it just hit me one night that there's got to be some simple explanation I wasn't thinking of.

Also, do check out Cliff’s suggestions in the wiki, where he explains the reason for the darkness and how his solution of simply lower the negative feedback solves it. Regardless, that tweak is something I tried on a ton of amps after that, with really interesting results and definitely some cool discoveries, but for Friedmans, to me it's essential. Happy boosted Plexi toning!

Alright, I figured I will put this out here.

Rythm guitars are the Cameron CCV 2D on both sides with the YA V30 OS mix 16 on the left and mix 19 on the right.
The Leads are the Friedman HBE V3 with the master cranked and the preamp gain at about 1.18 with the TS808 before the amp at a gain of 3.0 and volume cranked.
Bass is the SVT.

All of these are the AFX3.

Last edited:
Alright, I figured I will put this out here.

Rythm guitars are the Cameron CCV 2D on both sides with the YA V30 OS mix 16 on the left and mix 19 on the right.
The Leads are the Friedman HBE V3 with the master cranked and the preamp gain at about 1.18 with the TS808 before the amp at a gain of 3.0 and volume cranked.
Bass is the SVT.

All of these are the AFX3.

Loving the vocal quality of the lead and the overall density of the guitars! The time signature made me feel dizzy; it was wonderful.

Loving the vocal quality of the lead and the overall density of the guitars! The time signature made me feel dizzy; it was wonderful.

The time signature comes from my love of Al Dimeola, as he says you need to play between the notes and shift where you think you should play. The vocal quality of the leads comes from. Listening to Return to Metalopolis and Chris Poland.
I also think something odd happened when I exported from Studio one as everything seems slightly off the beat from my session once it exported. I didn't figure it out until I uploaded to SoundCloud.

Back
Top Bottom