FRFR specifically for Bass

Morbid

Inspired
Hello fellow fractal enthusiasts.
I'm trying to help a Bass Player friend of mine make the move to the digital world, and as does tend to happen, we've gotten on the topic of finances regarding total cost.

I'm now trying to help him find an FRFR cab that is suitable specifically for bass guitar, able to handle gig volume for smaller "venues" (ok fine...bars, they're bars...lol), and doesn't totally break the bank.

I've noticed the Headrush FRFR112 given it's price ($319), and also was looking at the Matrix FR10p, as it seems to be about the next most affordable option ($549), but it's been a while since I looked at FRFR options (I have a Matrix FR212 myself), and I suspect that there are even more options out there now than I am even aware of.

This has lead me to 2 questions:
1. Which, if any specifically, of the available options are best suited for bass
2. When it comes to gigging with the FRFR as the only source of bass guitar, will speaker size matter? (ya know the whole 8x10 vs 4x10/1x15 argument)

As always, I appreciate the time and knowledge, folks :)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

As opposed to an FRFR Cab? Or as opposed to using a modeler all together?
Use the modeler but with a bass amp or cab at least. They push the low end in a nice way for bass guitar. I prefer that ease of use for stage volume/warmth rather than trying to coax it out of a full range pa that has too much high end.

just my opinion for bass specifically.

Fair.
With that in mind then, what would your suggestion be for crafting a tone that will work well through FOH and not just the bass cab?

I used a EV powered 1x15 PA speaker and it worked great for bass. It was like $600.00 at the time. I would recommend whatever their current 15 inch powered speaker is in the 500-700 dollar range.

I know I'm late to this party, but for what it's worth I went through this a while back (see threads here and here). In the end I settled on a pair of second-hand Aguilar GS 112 cabs that I use with my Matrix power amp. No disrespect to any of the FRFR solutions I tried, but it's hard to get bass amp performance out of anything that isn't a bass amp without getting bigger, more expensive, or [likely] both. A small bass combo or bass cab with a small SS power amp is definitely going to be easier, and I've found it doesn't take too much away from the Axe-Fx experience.

Back
Top Bottom