FRFR speaker recommendation?

Like I said, this is capable of much more volume than a CLR...I don't know how they rate SS amps but whatever this guy uses is plenty.
I think the EV is rated at 700 watts.
Its got 2 neo drivers, if it isnt louder than the single driver clr theres a problem. Now, is it louder than stereo clrs? Doubt it.

A long time ago I attended a Fractal meetup put together by some forum members. Mission Engineering offered to host the event at their facilities in Petaluma.

During the event they offered to demo their (at the time yet to be released) Gemini 2 FRFR.

While giving us an overview of the specs, it was mentioned the the power amp was 110W (or something like that) and they got a few snickers... Until they turned it on!

Capable of being extremely loud.

When asked how that solid state amp could serve up so much power, one of the Mission guys explained that you need to take into account not only the amp but the efficiency of the speaker... And apparently the ones they use are very efficient.

I have a pair and they've served me quite well for 8 years, they're the old cab version though which is covered with tolex and has metal corners. No issues with the power amp either
I've never seen any tolex covered CLRs or metal corners that I can recall.

Almost every one I've seen had dents/cracks in the finish and some white (primer?) showing thru.

Sounds like you've got a robust pair.

A long time ago I attended a Fractal meetup put together by some forum members. Mission Engineering offered to host the event at their facilities in Petaluma.

During the event they offered to demo their (at the time yet to be released) Gemini 2 FRFR.

While giving us an overview of the specs, it was mentioned the the power amp was 110W (or something like that) and they got a few snickers... Until they turned it on!

Capable of being extremely loud.

When asked how that solid state amp could serve up so much power, one of the Mission guys explained that you need to take into account not only the amp but the efficiency of the speaker... And apparently the ones they use are very efficient.
This. “How many watts” is only part of the equation.

Anyone remember those big honkin’ Cerwin-Vega speakers? Nothing could wring dB’s out of a watt like those monsters.

Oh, regarding the Headrush 112…

People sing their praises because they're relatively loud for pretty cheap, but having had one and having listened to a friend who was using two of them, there's a night and day difference between them and a good powered PA speaker or dedicated FRFR. Once you're in the $800+ range for a cabinet the sound changes dramatically. My friend switched from his pair of 112s to QSC K12s, and when he powered them up and started noodling prior to a show I could hear the difference easily. The QSCs were clear, punchy, well balanced, and had a lot of extra volume to spare. They blended really well with my EVs when we'd play together. Just like with so many other things musical, the chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Buying a quality modeler and running it through a cheap speaker reduces the quality of the sound. And the only way to know is to try several different types and compare them. The thing about a good FRFR is it's like a chameleon, it can sound like so many other cabinets because it's designed to be transparent, and not color the sound.

I'm half a day's drive from L.A., and if I was looking for something I'd take the time to drive to Hollywood and nearby cities and hit several stores to compare different ones, then buy whichever I liked. It's worth the trouble.
Yessir. Exactly THIS, Greg. I drove 6 hours to get to a world reknowned guitar store with MANY options and the most guitars available in those options this week. I can say I got the best guitar for me (PRS Tremonti, if curious). One can't claim they have the best option for themselves if they have yet to experience ALL the options.

This one is bit heavy, right? Other than appearance and weight, how is it different from other FR powered speakers? Also, do you think it can keep up with a crazy loud metal drummer?
It's not that terribly heavy. It can hang all night long with a boulder footed iron armed metal drummer!!!

I've got a pair of Xitone 12" FRFR active wedge speakers. I love them dearly, however one is due for some warranty work, and in the meantime I wanted to get a second pair of similar FRFR speakers as a backup and to have an alternate setup location to play from. I could just buy more Xitones and I may do that, but are there other brands I should consider? I'd like to try something different.

What are the go to FRFR active speaker models these days? I haven't looked into this in about 4 years.

Thanks!
Hello. I understand that FRFR speakers are supposed to be transparent so that the sounds coming from a Kemper or a QC aren't colored. But I've also read reviews that address how each particular FRFR speaker colors the sound. I lean towards clean Fender amp tones (versus VOX, Marshall, etc). Does anyone have suggestions for an FRFR speaker that would be best for clean Fender amp tones?

Hello. I understand that FRFR speakers are supposed to be transparent so that the sounds coming from a Kemper or a QC aren't colored.
That's the design goal. But there's no such thing as a perfectly transparent speaker, at any price.

Does anyone have suggestions for an FRFR speaker that would be best for clean Fender amp tones?
Not really. Buy the most transparent FRFR you can afford. That's usually the most expensive one you can afford. Fractal gear gives you a thousand ways to cook your tone to compensate for variations in speakers. For any moderately good FRFR, the coloration is not as radical as some of the reviews would have you believe.

Hello. I understand that FRFR speakers are supposed to be transparent so that the sounds coming from a Kemper or a QC aren't colored. But I've also read reviews that address how each particular FRFR speaker colors the sound. I lean towards clean Fender amp tones (versus VOX, Marshall, etc). Does anyone have suggestions for an FRFR speaker that would be best for clean Fender amp tones?
I think you might like the Fender FR-12s. Check the activity in the amps n cabs forum.

Maybe this is a bit outside the lines but:

A Fender FR-12 with the @Lysander OPA1604 mod is ridiculous. I recently tried a Two Rock Traditional Clean tone match (thanks @Jon Kaneshiro !) through mine and it's absolutely magical. I had it low at first and slowly turned it up LOUD (it was 111 db when cranked; I had to wear ear plugs) and was still incredibly clear. It really felt like I was sitting in front of an amp.

I’m trying to understand the process of this. A tone match of what? A cab block in the FM9? :)
I believe you use the Tone Match function in the AxeFX. That produces an IR file. You then load that IR file after the amp block used in the tone match process. I'm probably messing that up. Maybe watch this:

I believe you use the Tone Match function in the AxeFX. That produces an IR file. You then load that IR file after the amp block used in the tone match process. I'm probably messing that up. Maybe watch this:

I kinda understand the tone match feature. I was wondering exactly what you were tone matching.

I kinda understand the tone match feature. I was wondering exactly what you were tone matching.
Tbh, I'm not sure I understand the question. When you're tone matching, you tone match an actual amp. Jon tone matched a real Two Rock Traditional Clean. Is that what you're asking?

Back
Top Bottom