FRFR speaker recommendation?

I tried the Yamaha and EV side by side and preferred the Yamaha just a little bit. So much that I bought four of them. They make for a great backline when you stack two of them on top of each other on their sides.

I have a terribly loud drummer, and I was thinking about picking up a couple of CLRs
An EV PXM-12MP can keep up with a loud drummer. Two of them will back the drummer into a corner and teach him the meaning of the word "respect".

I had mine keeping up with a FOH at 106 dB and peaking at 110 dB, and they weren't turned up all the way. I wouldn't stand in front of them.

I also have a pair of the RED SOUND ELIS.8/PRO cabs. They aren't as loud, but they'll push serious air.

In both cases the cabinets will sound really good while doing their jobs.

An EV PXM-12MP can keep up with a loud drummer. Two of them will back the drummer into a corner and teach him the meaning of the word "respect".

I had mine keeping up with a FOH at 106 dB and peaking at 110 dB, and they weren't turned up all the way. I wouldn't stand in front of them.

I also have a pair of the RED SOUND ELIS.8/PRO cabs. They aren't as loud, but they'll push serious air.

In both cases the cabinets will sound really good while doing their jobs.
What's the main benefits for the EV vs. RedSound? EV is flatter and the Red Sound is a little closer to a traditional guitar cab? I have the Neo Atomic CLR.

Last edited:
What's the main benefits for the EV vs. RedSound? EV is flatter and the Red Sound is a little closer to a traditional guitar cab? I have the Neo Atomic CLR.
They’re both very flat.

The ELIS.8 weigh a bit less and take up a bit less space. And there’s a difference in maximum volume. The EV cabinet, because it’s more of a traditional floor monitor design, has one more position available, which is nice when you have to stand really close to it.

Otherwise, it’s just like having various guitar cabinets, you pick the size for the room and what you need for the music genre. Two ELIS.8 can get loud enough that you probably don’t want to stand closer than 5’ away. Two MF10, because they have 10” speakers will push more air and make you want to be 10’ at least. Two EV PXM-12MP at full volume would keep me at 15’ at a minimum. And they’d also fill the room differently.

You have the best. The CLR is only barely "better" than the RedSound, but its better. It's a little less directional and the top of the highs are just a little smoother. Only thing that beats a CLR is the Meyer MJF, and they are $7k.

Have you tried one? I'm curious if they sound different than other FR cabs.
I haven't...
This FR stuff is driving me crazy. lol. I have a terribly loud drummer, and I was thinking about picking up a couple of CLRs
CLRs have a great reputation for sound.

They don't have a great reputation for durability, especially the cabinet finish and the power amp module, and for the last 3+ years they've had terrible to non-existent customer support.

The EVs are very solid and have excellent support from a large company.

They don't have a great reputation for durability, especially the cabinet finish and the power amp module
I have a pair and they've served me quite well for 8 years, they're the old cab version though which is covered with tolex and has metal corners. No issues with the power amp either

All I've ever used were Yamaha DXR 10s and I've loved them. I would love to try some really nice 8 inch monitors one day tho.

I have a CLR, an EV PXM and now a Razers Edge Audio Flux.
This might be the winner.
2X12's, stereo and unbelievably light because of neodymium magnets.
Also louder than the CLR or EV...I had it on 3 and it was too much.
20240125_122345.jpg

I have a CLR, an EV PXM and now a Razers Edge Audio Flux.
This might be the winner.
2X12's, stereo and unbelievably light because of neodymium magnets.
Also louder than the CLR or EV...I had it on 3 and it was too much.
View attachment 133861
How is the stereo separation on that cab? I know having the drivers so close together usually is not very good with respect to that. Also it didn't mention if the Eminence speakers they are using are coaxial or not.

How is the stereo separation on that cab? I know having the drivers so close together usually is not very good with respect to that. Also it didn't mention if the Eminence speakers they are using are coaxial or not.
True...my studio monitors are about 3 feet apart so the stereo image is not as big as that, but I didn't want to start bringing two separate cabs to gigs, so this works. Speakers are not coaxial, they have 2 tweeters mounted along center line, top and bottom.
I used the same preset I use with CLR or EV and didn't notice much difference.

True...my studio monitors are about 3 feet apart so the stereo image is not as big as that, but I didn't want to start bringing two separate cabs to gigs, so this works. Speakers are not coaxial, they have 2 tweeters mounted along center line, top and bottom.
How's the weight?

Interesting, but only 200 watts vs the 500 watts of the CLR. Wonder why they didn't put a bigger power amp in there.
Like I said, this is capable of much more volume than a CLR...I don't know how they rate SS amps but whatever this guy uses is plenty.
I think the EV is rated at 700 watts.

Like I said, this is capable of much more volume than a CLR...I don't know how they rate SS amps but whatever this guy uses is plenty.
Curious, did you test this with a db meter or just going by ear?

I'm completely confused with the power ratings of these FR cabs. I have no way way to judge if something will be loud enough based on the wild range of wattages reported.

Reactions: Rex
I'm completely confused with the power ratings of these FR cabs. I have no way way to judge if something will be loud enough based on the wild range of wattages reported.
Agreed...I told the guy I was worried about it not being equal to my other FRFR's, but he was right.

Yup. Beyond a certain point, you can't go by specs.

You can't even go by where the volume knob is set. You see that all the time with guitar amps, too. Turn it up to 3, and it screams, and you say, "Wow! Must be a wicked powerful amp." But turn it up to 10, and it barely gets any louder.

Back
Top Bottom