FRFR speaker recommendation?

My Friedman ASC12 is great for playing by myself. It can get pretty loud, but I find it has trouble keeping up with live acoustic drums in a heavy music setting. It can get pretty close to the "amp in the room" feel, so I use it for solo practice/writing. This FRFR is heavy (weight)

Have you done any comparisons with the Friedman vs a power amp & standard guitar cab for your 'amp in a room' setting?

I ask because I'm using a Seymour Ducan Powerstage 170 into a Mesa 4x12 (no cab block). But I also connect to my studio monitors with cab blocks on. They are only 5" monitors so not meant for jamming, but I'm wondering if there is more consistency between something like a Friedman FRFR cab, vs a poweramp + regular cab.

PS - the PS170 into the Mesa sounds great, if not a bit overkill for home use.

The Friedman asc series are cool, I have one.of each 10/12. It wasn't a volume thing per say, it is fun to play thru, not aggressive enough as a cab in a band setting. If I had time to dial in presets with the axe at band practice I feel I could get there possibly. I liked it better sent to the board then back thru the monitors on stage vs as a stand alone stage cab. I've tried matrix and PS-2 all are different and plenty loud, just different, Probably not much help, all got was dial it in at loud volumes, yea and then when there is no drummer or bass to absorb those frequencies then what, dial it again? Best option. Use the performance setting on the front to be able to dial it in quickly at rehearsal. Plenty of power and volume, cheers

Reactions: LCW
Have you done any comparisons with the Friedman vs a power amp & standard guitar cab for your 'amp in a room' setting?

I ask because I'm using a Seymour Ducan Powerstage 170 into a Mesa 4x12 (no cab block). But I also connect to my studio monitors with cab blocks on. They are only 5" monitors so not meant for jamming, but I'm wondering if there is more consistency between something like a Friedman FRFR cab, vs a poweramp + regular cab.

PS - the PS170 into the Mesa sounds great, if not a bit overkill for home use.

I have a Marshall 1960a 4x12 and a Quilter 201 I used as a poweramp just to get a sense of what it sounded like. It was LOUD with no noise, very nice. I played a show shortly after and used another bands Randall cab instead of FRFR and couldn't cut through the mix (pa was vocals only). Granted, I didn't have time to dial in any eq.

The ASC sounds pretty close to the Marshall (I used a corresponding IR) if I cut below 70hz and above 11khz.

The biggest challenge with jumping on modeling in a band setting is getting over "amp in the room". If you play by yourself, sure, you want that same feeling. When you're in a band all that matters is how it sounds in the context of the mix. I get way more compliments about how we sound live, since embracing this concept. We even started using IEMs and now I practice with headphones as it's closer to my live experience.

I like the thought of the mission Gemini, however it seems like it's not something designed for gigging. I'm sure it sounds just fine and keeps up but hauling it and the expense seems like a challenge.

I like the thought of the mission Gemini, however it seems like it's not something designed for gigging. I'm sure it sounds just fine and keeps up but hauling it and the expense seems like a challenge.
Cant be any worse than my Mark 35 and 2x12 Rectifier Cab. I think the Gemini 2 is what 60 lbs?

I run the Celestion F12-X200 (top) and F12-M150 (bottom) FRFR speakers in 2 traditional 412 cabinets. Finally getting to gel with FRFR and IR's and these have the feel of real guitar speakers and take the IR's amazingly well. Sound great with my AXE 3 and Kemper.

I run the Celestion F12-X200 (top) and F12-M150 (bottom) FRFR speakers in 2 traditional 412 cabinets. Finally getting to gel with FRFR and IR's and these have the feel of real guitar speakers and take the IR's amazingly well. Sound great with my AXE 3 and Kemper.
What do you use for powering?

What do you use for powering?
Oddly enough an older Crate SPA-200 Solid State Poweramp. Two Channels 100W each. These are a steal as you can pick these up for around $100. These were big in the rack era. Stereo or Mono with damping controls and volume/presence for each channel.

I have owned almost every tube power amp, Matrix power amps and these Crates are hard to beat for sound and performance. Will easily power 2 412 cabinets.

Cant be any worse than my Mark 35 and 2x12 Rectifier Cab. I think the Gemini 2 is what 60 lbs?
Not sure, I've got a mesa 4x12 and a Friedman Asc-12, it's heavier than the 4x 12, maybe not buy the actual weight , but due to the fact it has an amp and the type speqker and horn. The Gemini is 2 frfrs so it's heavier than a cab with speakers in it. I've got an oversized bogner 2x12, it's lighter than the Friedman as well. A mark head isn't heavy to carry, it's compact and has a handle and the weight is centered

I'd much rather get 2 EV PXM-12MP (actually, I already have them) for less money and more portability, plus the option to use only 1 or get a wider stereo spread, pole-mount if desired, etc.
That's my recommendation too. Next to those, I'd say the REDSOUND MF-10s, or their ELIS.8. The prices are very fair, and they sound really good. The Italian-based, available from G66, REDSOUND products are probably a better choice if someone is in Europe. In the U.S. I'd go with the EVs, or maybe the MF-10s and then I'd decide based on cabinet shape because from what I remember, they sounded very close.

When I was at the G4 Experience in Vegas last week, they had guys from QSC there demo-ing the QSC CP8 FrFr monitors. They sounded great, and much easier to carry around than my 2 Laney FrFr 112s (which sound great but are pretty heavy).

I'm very tempted to get a pair of them - anyone else have the CP8s?

When I was at the G4 Experience in Vegas last week, they had guys from QSC there demo-ing the QSC CP8 FrFr monitors. They sounded great, and much easier to carry around than my 2 Laney FrFr 112s (which sound great but are pretty heavy).

I'm very tempted to get a pair of them - anyone else have the CP8s?
I think they've been mentioned here more than once. Try search?

I'd much rather get 2 EV PXM-12MP (actually, I already have them) for less money and more portability, plus the option to use only 1 or get a wider stereo spread, pole-mount if desired, etc.
Just got a EV PXM-12P. Really liking the sound. With only the one it seems to have more tonal spread across the room. Very loud and focused.

Lately, I have been using an ISP Stealth amp and two 2x12 Laney cabs but now, not so sure. Just might need to purchase another EV...IMG_0215.jpeg

Just got a EV PXM-12P. Really liking the sound. With only the one it seems to have more tonal spread across the room. Very loud and focused.

Lately, I have been using an ISP Stealth amp and two 2x12 Laney cabs but now, not so sure. Just might need to purchase another EV...View attachment 114901
what are your thoughts on the ISP stealth pro amp?

Lately, I have been using an ISP Stealth amp and two 2x12 Laney cabs but now, not so sure. Just might need to purchase another EV...View attachment 114901
These cabs are great! I would imagine the ISP and 2 212 cabs you will be hard pressed for clean headroom at gig volume. I put two of these on short stands and they will compete with any 412 cab and have plenty of headroom to boot! I did a practice last week with a Drummer buddy of mine and had to turn them down.

Back
Top Bottom