FRFR speaker recommendation?

Another nod for the EV PXM 12P's I really like the pair I have. They are light, powerful non hyped and very versatile! I would say sound wise they are comparable to a CLR.
Agree. I had a pair of CLR Neos with my AX8...I'd say the PXM sounds at least as good, and is more portable...not sure it's as loud, but it is loud enough.

not sure it's as loud, but it is loud enough.
I don't like playing volume wars because nobody wins, but I had my pair of PXMs stacked vertically one night, and, on the EV's Monitor 2 setting with the main input at 1/2, and with the FM9 Output 1 at about 3/4-ish, they were easily keeping up the FOH which was putting out 106-ish dB average.

Yeah, it was painfully, frickin' loud, but kinda cool in a perverse sort of way, to hear those little cabinets. I'd given up playing that night because it was so loud and I was standing to the side playing roadie with my earplugs in, but my friend who was on my guitar and standing in front of them said it was awesome… I suspect it was pumpin' his 'nads but, well, to each their own. :)

I don't like playing volume wars because nobody wins, but I had my pair of PXMs stacked vertically one night, and, on the EV's Monitor 2 setting with the main input at 1/2, and with the FM9 Output 1 at about 3/4-ish, they were easily keeping up the FOH which was putting out 106-ish dB average.

Yeah, it was painfully, frickin' loud, but kinda cool in a perverse sort of way, to hear those little cabinets. I'd given up playing that night because it was so loud and I was standing to the side playing roadie with my earplugs in, but my friend who was on my guitar and standing in front of them said it was awesome… I suspect it was pumpin' his 'nads but, well, to each their own. :)
Was your Output mode set to +4dB?

Back to the thread title, I would think any FRFR cab can sound great with the right EQ. I'm not a sound engineer guru so I use a DBX VENU360 or Soundworks ID (Reference) and a calibrated mic to find out the EQ to make my CLR Neo's or my HS8 monitors perfectly flat. Then when you use a similar EQ curve + the calibrated mic's EQ on the AxeFX to your cabs, but not to FOH, your sounds should translate to any other speaker system that is EQ'd well.

Could you tonematch EQ sweeps or pink noise from USB to a calibrated mic through your FRFR cab and get the same result?? 🤔

Not me, never owned any, unfortunately.

But there are multiple threads here, about both reliability problems and unresponsive support, a search should find them.
Ahh, never owned any. Well, I must admit, a couple years after I bought mine from Atomic, one of them quit. Tom had me pull the amp
out of it and send it in, and I had the replacement in my hands within a week. They’ve been solid for several years since, and boy do they sound good!

I like my __________________, it's really ____________ and that makes it better than all the others

You perhaps thinking of Matrix? I can't recall reading that about CLR's.

i had two CLR Neo, nothing but problems with them. Power supply failed two times, tweeter took a dump, sold them. Bought the RCFs
I have to admit I had one CLR down for a while and it took two shipments to get it fixed. Never had an issue with the RCF. I think Jazz bought mine :)
As other have stated, you can't get the CLR, and the CS is just horrible. Such a shame, because the product is good.
I love my CLR's. I bought them around 2011/2012. Over the years , on this forum, I see loads of love for the CLR's but the consistent theme is always complaints with availability and/or customer support. Is it just that they are a small company? too much demand/limited resources , suppy? It's too bad. great Monitors.
There's a small sampling, unfortunately.

These days they're hard to get and not infrequently have problems, and the company is not very responsive if they do.

Back
Top Bottom