FRFR speaker recommendation?

These cabs are great! I would imagine the ISP and 2 212 cabs you will be hard pressed for clean headroom at gig volume. I put two of these on short stands and they will compete with any 412 cab and have plenty of headroom to boot! I did a practice last week with a Drummer buddy of mine and had to turn them down.
For small stages and stage sound only the ISP gets it done. But yes, after playing through the EV I’m probably going to get another one.

I have a Gemini 1 and I really like it but I was wanting a 2x12. But the Gemini 2 is double the price of a laney 212

Fwiw, I have a Gemini 2x12 and love it. I get nothing but compliments on my sound from guitar buddies and my guitar teacher who is a professional musician.

I'm a living room player though so ymmv, but they are worth being in the conversation.

I’ve got both a Laney FrFr cab and the Celestion f12 loaded in a ported cab made by Zilla. I’m powering this with a Seymour Duncan power stage.
The Laney is detailed, loud and a great option. I’ve had some great results with it. It’s also relatively cheap!
The F12 cab is way more punchy and guitar cab sounding (kind of the intention I think) but I don’t really like it at lower levels without adding some global EQ. It’s a more expensive option as the cab was custom made but it does look cool! Has anyone else had the same issue with this and what EQ have they done?

I currently have F12 in an old Atomic enclosure with some global eq applied. All the FR Cab options I've tried have needed some global eq mainly I think because my reference FR sound is my studio monitors, so instinctively I try to pull my FR cabs somewhat toward that while leaving them with that part of their own more guitar cab like character that can work across all my varying presets and/or
possibly desired sounds.

I currently have F12 in an old Atomic enclosure with some global eq applied. All the FR Cab options I've tried have needed some global eq mainly I think because my reference FR sound is my studio monitors, so instinctively I try to pull my FR cabs somewhat toward that while leaving them with that part of their own more guitar cab like character that can work across all my varying presets and/or
possibly desired sounds.
What EQ do you apply? I normally low cut, scoop a little out around 100/200hz and add a bit off top if needed

What EQ do you apply? I normally low cut, scoop a little out around 100/200hz and add a bit off top if needed
I was initially using this one, then tweaked somewhat to this one. For a time I was mucking around with a reference mic trying to derive a curve that would match my FRCabs to my studio monitors. I've abandoned that as I realize (duh) that: even if it were possible to get them matching with precision (which I suspect is not actually possible), I don't really want my FRCabs more flat like a studio monitor - in FRCabs, I want a guitar cab that can sound ballpark authentic across my varying modelled tones (Clean/EOB/Crunch/Gainy variations of Fender/Vox/Marshal/Mesa/Modern) - the F12s in the Atomic reactor cabs seem to give me that way more than the previous FR speakers I had in there (12" Eminence FR + separate tweeter). Now, every once in a while I go through all my sounds iteratively with my FRCabs starting with no compensating EQ then tweaking a single global EQ setting by ear as little as possible across my presets to see where I land on for one EQ setting to turn on with the F12s. Last time I went through that exercise, I felt I could actually live with no compensating EQ with the F12s, but throwing on a little does yield an improvement to my ear. There might also be some untapped improvement via some custom designed cabs to suit the F12s but I'm at the "it's good enough" stage with my Matrix>FRCabs as a tin-ear'd but tonally obsessive basement hacker so..all good + the reason I chose F12 over X200 is that they are supposed to be less sensitive to cab variations and I wanted to make use of the old passive Atomic FR Cabs I had collecting dust.

I was initially using this one, then tweaked somewhat to this one. For a time I was mucking around with a reference mic trying to derive a curve that would match my FRCabs to my studio monitors. I've abandoned that as I realize (duh) that: even if it were possible to get them matching with precision (which I suspect is not actually possible), I don't really want my FRCabs more flat like a studio monitor - in FRCabs, I want a guitar cab that can sound ballpark authentic across my varying modelled tones (Clean/EOB/Crunch/Gainy variations of Fender/Vox/Marshal/Mesa/Modern) - the F12s in the Atomic reactor cabs seem to give me that way more than the previous FR speakers I had in there (12" Eminence FR + separate tweeter). Now, every once in a while I go through all my sounds iteratively with my FRCabs starting with no compensating EQ then tweaking a single global EQ setting by ear as little as possible across my presets to see where I land on for one EQ setting to turn on with the F12s. Last time I went through that exercise, I felt I could actually live with no compensating EQ with the F12s, but throwing on a little does yield an improvement to my ear. There might also be some untapped improvement via some custom designed cabs to suit the F12s but I'm at the "it's good enough" stage with my Matrix>FRCabs as a tin-ear'd but tonally obsessive basement hacker so..all good + the reason I chose F12 over X200 is that they are supposed to be less sensitive to cab variations and I wanted to make use of the old passive Atomic FR Cabs I had collecting dust.
Very similar eq to what I’ve been doing

Bought a Yamaha DHR12M approx. 6 weeks ago, and while I'm still in the learning/"honeymoon" phase (I like long honeymoons), it is everything I hoped it would be. Like the EV PXM, it's a powered coax 12" floor wedge, and sounds completely effortless and unhyped with clean, edge, and od tones at any volume (I don't play much metal or heavy distortion, so can't speak to that), and will get far louder than I will ever need again.

Very similar to the EV coax, but I got a better price on this, didn't need the EV DSP options, and have always been impressed by Yamaha audio products. Built like a tank, and weight is in the 35-lb. neighborhood, so it's not a 3" desktop monitor weightwise. And it doesn't sound like one either.

The only issue vs. the EV for me is that Yamaha doesn't seem to have a dedicated cover for the DHR12M, whereas EV has one to fit the PXM, but Studio Slips and others will make one for the Yamaha, so not a big deal. Very solid piece of equipment, love it so far.

I continue to recommend the EV-PXM12MP. Fantastic unit! I have 2 of them in stereo. I also run my EVH 100 Stealth 6L6 through a Captor X and into them as well. Sounds amazing!

Laney LFR-212...

I've owned or played through about every FRFR known to mankind...
This one is bit heavy, right? Other than appearance and weight, how is it different from other FR powered speakers? Also, do you think it can keep up with a crazy loud metal drummer?

This one is bit heavy, right? Other than appearance and weight, how is it different from other FR powered speakers? Also, do you think it can keep up with a crazy loud metal drummer?
It's a 2x12 where almost all others (excluding Gemini 2) are 1x12...

Back
Top Bottom