Fremen's high gain "starting pack" bank - Firmware 13

fremen

Axe-Master
Vendor
...sorry to disappoint, nothing's online yet ;) but it's coming not too far from now.

Here's a video preview of what I've been working on these two last weeks. Please note that many presets here ( #199, 209, 210, 215, 244, 248 ) are from other users. It's because I wanted to record a video to be used as a reference for myself, it wasn't meant to be uploaded anywhere. Then I decided to put it on YouTube anyway, so yesterday, as soon as I clicked on the "stop" button, I uploaded the full version, which was one hour long, as "unlisted". But that was way too long and unfocused, so today I decided to edit it. Here's that new version, much shorter, which acts as a teaser of what I'm working on : a bank of hi gain presets. I will soon do a real demo of that hi gain bank, which will also show how to edit a preset to customize it (gain and equalizing).

First there's 7 minutes of noodling, the part with my new presets starts at 7:34 :

Presets from that high gain bank are patches #129 to #183 ; that's 53 amp models, and there's also more elaborate versions of the Friedman BE preset (#134). I have plans to do many more (some dual amps presets for example).

If you want to know more about the concept behind that bank, read the following :

This bank is the result of rethinking my method of presets programming. I followed this basic goal : one amp suitable for hi gain playing = one preset. Each preset should have roughly the same volume level, and all of them must meet my requirements for heavy rock/metal playing. Definition of "hi gain sound" is of course subjective ; I'm not a br00tal, 7/8 strings modern metal player (I can listen to it but I don't play it), but not vintage hard rock player either, although I have my roots in the eighties. Let's say that my ballpark is progressive metal à la nineties Dream Theater, although this is restrictive.

Some facts :

All the presets were tweaked for an Ibanez RG520 with a DiMarzio Norton in bridge, tuned in Eb. I tested all of them with the same stupid palm-muting lick on lower strings, then six strings basic chords, power chords, and a little bit of lead playing. It's not always easy to have enough gain to help legato playing (which I uses a lot because of my terrible right hand ;) ) and at the same time no mud in the lower strings palm muting. These presets are for rhythm first, but being usable for leads is a desirable bonus. Of course some amps are better for rhythm, some for lead.

All the presets uses the same cab, without any room level : GuitarHack ThisOne (from a Mesa 4x12 with V30, a standard "metal" cab). Why this ? First, it has been my go-to hi gain IR since almost the beginning, I was already using it in the Axe Standard in 2009 so I know it well . Second, my objective wasn't to find a variety of tones/colors ; it was to find, for each amp model, the best way to achieves a tight, punchy hi gain sound, as detailed below. I tweaked the Low Cut and Hi Cut in the cab block when needed, and often used the new "NULL" mic type to be able to use the Proximity parameter.

Of course, many of these presets sounds very close to each other because of the importance of the cab in a guitar sound. In some rare cases, I had to use radical settings to make the amp work with the IR. I'm aware that using the same IR won't always give an "authentic" sound (many amps don't uses V30 speakers) but I needed that common factor here to really focus on the amps. I will also come with a second version of these presets, each with its own cab model, more faithful to the speaker normally associated with the amp. Maybe that will be for scenes 4 and 5, or distinct presets, I'm not decided yet.

As said above, the key thing there was to find the optimum gain staging for each amp model. So for each amp, I had to test those different scenarios :

- More input drive and no boost (besides the TS808 which already acts as a booster) ?
- Less input drive but boost switch on (or input trim raised, which I like more because I can control it with an expression pedal) ?
- Saturation switch on or off ?
- Bright switch on or off ?
- Master volume at default level or not ?

First I tested all that, and then used the tone stack, Depth, Presence, and Dynamic Presence/Dynamic Depth to fine-tune. I used the Graphic EQ of the amp block only when needed, like the advanced parameters. Many times I tweaked the speaker page Low Res Freq to put it to at 125 hz ; in some cases I left it at default to respect the amp characteristics (especially with very low default settings). I also raised Thunk in most presets ; this is the only parameter I touched in the "Dynamics" tab of Axe Edit. In the "Tone" tab, in some cases I lowered the Bright Cap ; in the same tab, I also discovered that boosting the MV Cap is helpful for brightening dark amps.

I think that preset #134 (Friedman BE) are the only one where I didn't use default in Modeling Mode - not that I needed too, but just for testing purposes. I used default settings for everything else, including Power Tubes, and powerful parameters like Xformer Match and Damping.

I always use a TS808 as a booster, I like how it tightens the sound. So for each preset, the chain was the same : TS808 => amp => cab. The gate/expander was bypassed, because I wanted to hear the noise level of each amp with high gain settings. After the cab, there are parametric EQ, multiband compression, delay, reverb and enhancer blocks, all bypassed. The delay and reverb settings are the same, but the parametric EQ and multicomp settings have been altered in many presets, even if left bypassed afterwards.

In Y of the amp block, most of the time there's the initialized version of the amp, for comparing purposes.

I also tested how each amp "cleans up" when lowering the volume pot on the guitar. Of course the TS808 doesn’t helps with that, but in a typical preset (like #184, see below), I would use the Gate/Expander and lower its Threshold to -100 db with and expression pedal, which would also lower the Drive block Mix to 0 % at the same time.

I also did two "gig ready" versions of the Friedman BE (#134) preset. These presets (# 184 and # 185) has refined effects blocks, and uses various scenes. In addition to all the effect blocks tweaks, the gain changes through the various scenes, with the help of Scene Controllers. Scene 1 = heavy rhythm, 2 = crunch (less gain than 1), scene 3 = lead. Up to now I did that for the Friedman BE only, but I consider doing it for all amp models used in this Hi Gain bank. Maybe I'll do scenes 4 and 5 with alternate cabs.

I'm going to play all of these presets for a while now, and will select my favorites for live use. My existing live presets will then be updated. Up to firmware 12, here's what I used : Friedman BE (my basic rhythm amp model for hot rodded Marshall sounds), Bogner Blue and Red, Fas Lead 2, Triaxis Yellow and FAS Modern (some for rhythm, some for leads) and, for the heavier stuff I cover with my band, Recto or Diezel…

EDIT 28/02 : the bank is now available for download

Fremen's guitar blog: Fremen's high gain "starting pack" bank

Last edited:
First preset is the video is from my friend Sebastien, who is also "beta testing" my bank :

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/81732-my-tweak-hi-gain-jvm410h-or1-clr.html

There's also presets from Kriig, which I was discovering for the first time :

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/79413-bogner-blue-suhr-modern.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/79667-divided-13-a.html

Presets from guitarjon (very short, I was comparing his Metallica tonematch with the preset I use for "Enter Sandman") :

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...tallica-tonematches-patches-extravaganza.html

And a preset from our little wonder Sean Ashe. I also thought one of the presets was from Guitarholy (Vinai Trinateepakdee) but it was from someone else trying to nail his sound :) ( Axe-Change - Download Preset - Vinai shiver lead - by Cenefosse - couldn't find him in the forum )

Would you consider putting these up individually for download rather than all in one bank?

Thanks for you contributions. Another donation coming to you soon.

Would you consider putting these up individually for download rather than all in one bank?

Thanks for you contributions. Another donation coming to you soon.
thanks, but hold on on your donations ! Not sure if I'll share the bank for free this time. But I'll release a preset this week end.

Oh man, these will be awesome !!! I will gladly send another donation Fremen !!!
Keep up the great work.

Here's a small gift. They all use the GuitarHack "ThisOne" IR (#16 in my Axe)

- Friedman rhythm and lead is a preset I'll use tonight at a gig. Scene 1 rhythm, scene 2 crunch, scene 3 lead, scene 4 custom scale 9, scene 5 custom scale 10. I use this presets for all my basic heavy rhythms, and for leads on "Rock you like a hurricane". Here's the custom scales :
Custom scale 9 : 4 5 4 3 4 3 3 4 3 4 3 5
Cutom scale 10 : 4 5 4 3 5 3 3 4 3 4 3 5
I added three blocks (the bottom line) to process my backing vocals through the Axe. Via "MIDI through" of the Axe, the MFC also select various presets on a Digitech Vocalist for vocal harmonies. I got this idea this morning and added it in all presets where I need to sing, I won't have to change the presets on the vocalist manually. My vocals use the pitch block, a gate block (essential) and reverb. It's mixed even with my guitar sound, I can fine tune the vocals/guitar balance on the fly with the Vocalist.

the two others are works in progress :

- Friedman BE - 5 scenes : a "gig ready" version of the Friedman BE (#134) preset. This one has refined effects blocks, and 5 scenes. In addition to all the effect blocks tweaks, this preset has expression pedal control for Drive block Mix and Gate/expander Threshold. It's also possible to control the Amp block Input Drive or Input Trim with an expression pedal, although I didn't do it there.
Now about the scenes :
Scene 1 is identical to preset #134 and is meant for rhythm playing.
Scene 2 is a more "produced", scooped, brighter, wannabe record-ready sound, with the help of the multiband compression.
Scene 3 is the "lead" version of the preset, with delay, reverb, and a warmer sound thanks to the post-cab Parametric EQ and the Full OD (drive block Y) instead of TS808 drive model.
Scene 4 is also for lead playing but there I use a pre-amp Parametric EQ as a booster instead of the TS808. No Gate/Expander in this one, as the noise is lower, thanks to the bypassed TS808.
Last, Scene 5 is a bonus, a test where I'm after the elusive "amp in a room" sound. Here, besides an enhancer block, I'm using a second cab block with unusual, radical settings and another custom IR : "05 Warmer Marshall", but this is temporary, I'll probably use an ultrares version of a room IR for that, when such IRs will be available.

- Friedman BE - 6 scenes When a friend who is "beta testing" the preset from the "5 scenes" preset told me "I can almost gig with only this one", I told myself... Hey, there's something there ! So I did a preset with 3 cleans and three distorted sounds.

Scene 1 : heavy rhythm
Scene 2 : crunch
Scene 3 : Lead
Scene 4 : acoustic sim
Scene 5 : "eighties" clean
Scene 6 : Fender clean

If only I could add a multidelay or whammy, I would be happy as a pig in (holy)sh1t(balls) !
Of course more tweaks are possible - the delay time is not presently assigned to tap tempo, the chorus settings (in Dimension D mode) are almost untweaked etc...

Attachments

• Friedman rhythm & lead.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 359
  • Friedman BE - 5 scenes.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 269
  • Friedman BE - 6 scenes.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 272
Recorded with the first preset, Friedman rhythm & lead.syx, this morning. Warning, I'm a terrible singer :p

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151871553887245

Processing vocals through the axe, within my existing guitar presets, is another thing I want to explore. Beside the obvious multiband compression, delay and reverb, there's shimmer, resonator and of course the pitch shift blocks... yummy

Last edited:
Really digging scene 3 of the BE 6 scene preset!

My Eb strat loves this scene! Gets that throaty dumble'ish overdrive using the bridge pup. I always find it takes a deft hand to make the bridge pup in a strat get that thick lead tone.

Well done!

Thanks Fremen, I'm always astonished by your presets and deep tweaking ! Another gem to study and try to learn something new ...
Great

Awesome !!! Thank you Fremen
Where do we find this GuitarHack "ThisOne" IR , is it Ultrares ?

Are these presets mono or stereo ?

Thank you

No it is not ultrares ... Is shared in different location in this forum and of course in Fremen pack in Cab directory where He shares the free Ir that he uses ...

By the way ... What do you thing Fremen about Critical Lab Messiah Ir?

I saw in previous version of your presets trying some of this Ir ...

Actually I like it !! Normally I run 2cabs panned center with Different Messiah and play with delay of the brighter ..

Really cool sounding ...

I don't know why but I listen to This One and I ear it maybe too much polished ... I don't now how to explain ... Maybe too perfect .. Rounded ...
What do you think ? I know This One is your go Ir for all your High gain patches ... But courious about your journey in the Ir world and the process that gives You to choose This One

Many thanks in advance for your work and help to this community

Hi Fremen,
i like your presets very much, but you don't you use the ultrares cabs until now, are there any reasons for that?

Yes, it's because the presets I use the most uses IRs which are not available in ultrares version yet. I'll see when Cab-Lab will be updated to allow converting to ultrares, but right now, I'm happy with the IRs I use. I may replace them with different sounding IRs one day but not soon, due to time constraints.
Also, these last weeks, I was busy working on the bank of presets detailed above, I didn't even test ultrares IRs for more than a few minutes. I will after my next gig at the end of the month

The Fender deluxe ultrares, but that was just a test. I like my normal clean IR more. It works with this one too

Back
Top Bottom