Free Redwirez Cab

Happy Birthday!

Just downloaded the free irs.....OMG. Now I see what all the guys on this forum have been raving about. Incredible!

Thanks
Ed

Hey - it's your birthday...aren't WE supposed to give YOU a present???

Thanks and Happy Birthday Redwirez!! It's so cool that it's a cab I don't have yet!!

Happy Birthday! Thanks for the gift and for the tremendous work you did

Happy Birthday and thanks for the wonderful gift! I'd buy a few more cabinets to help you celebrate, but my 10 user slots are already filled with various Redwirez cabinets. It was hard to narrow it down to just 10 cabinets because there are so many great ones among your cabs. After weeks in the rabbit hole I narrowed it down to a few that I'm very satisfied with, but I'll still have to give these free ones a try.

Thanks, Redwirez, and happy birthday!!!

Can anyone guide me on how to use these? Is this one of those infinitely variable packages where you need to select a microphone (or 2 or 3), and a position (or 2 or 3), to "generate" a .syx file that is actually usable of an Axe-FX? Sorry if the question has been addressed a million times, I don't have any Redwirez cabs yet, and the process is a bit of a mystery to me. I mean, there's a BIGBox folder, and it contains a bunch of sampling rates / # of bits combinations, each of these contain a folder for the 1960A cab, with 18 sub-folders (for 18 microphones, I gather).... so where do I even begin?

So, among the multitudes of things I am finding in the zip file, what do I need, and is there a particular one (or a particular combination) that someone can recommend as a way to go "holy jeez, that's what all the fuss is about!!!"?

Thanks,
Daniel

Dpoirier said:
Thanks, Redwirez, and happy birthday!!!

Can anyone guide me on how to use these? Is this one of those infinitely variable packages where you need to select a microphone (or 2 or 3), and a position (or 2 or 3), to "generate" a .syx file that is actually usable of an Axe-FX? Sorry if the question has been addressed a million times, I don't have any Redwirez cabs yet, and the process is a bit of a mystery to me. I mean, there's a BIGBox folder, and it contains a bunch of sampling rates / # of bits combinations, each of these contain a folder for the 1960A cab, with 18 sub-folders (for 18 microphones, I gather).... so where do I even begin?

So, among the multitudes of things I am finding in the zip file, what do I need, and is there a particular one (or a particular combination) that someone can recommend as a way to go "holy jeez, that's what all the fuss is about!!!"?

Thanks,
Daniel

RW tutorial, very informative.
http://www.redwirez.com/tutorials.jsp

SM57 CapEdge 0" is usually a good starting point.

Dpoirier,

If you're loading them directly in the Axe-Fx, then use the files in the Axe-Fx folder. If you're auditioning in a DAW then use the sample rate that matches your recording session. People like to mix, but you can get great tones without mixing, for sure.

The SM57, Royer R121, and Sennhesier 421 are 3 different tones that a lot of folks swear by. The 409 is always pretty good, and the U47 and U67 shine on many sources. I've always loved the M160 even though it doesn't get much attention. None of the mics are useless, but some are more versatile than others.

Towards the bottom of the tutorial (linked above) there's a section called "Dialing in your tone". It has some good starting points for the mics and a process for dialing in the sound you want from there.

To load them in the Axe-Fx, here's the instructions I have:

For the Axe-Fx you load the .SYX files from the Axe-Fx folde into a User Cab slot using the Axe-Fx Editor. Here are the basic steps:

In the Axe-fx Editor:

1: Click on settings (upper left hand corner and select preset manager).
2: Select the cabs tab in the left column and hit the source button.
3: In the new window navigate to the folder that your cabinet Impulse responses are in using the arrow up button in the upper left corner, and select the choose button.
4: In the right column select the axe fx tab.
5: Then select the cabs button.
6: Now drag and drop the Impulse response in the left column to the cab user slot in the right column.
7: Now hit the save button in the upper right column.

Thanks for the info, Brian and Redwire. I guess I was getting confused when I previously read reports from the deep experts (i.e. Scott Peterson) and the fact that they we "blending" various Redwirez models into a *single* .syx file for use in the Axe-FX. I know how to load a .syx file, and I can now see that there are scores of .syx files in the Axe-Fx folder... I was just suffering from side-tracked-brain-syndrome and thinking I needed to use some sort of esoteric process to blend some of these.

I guess I can easily enough try a whole bunch of the .syx files, and simply ignore my previous belief that blending was the magic ingredient.

redwire said:
I've always loved the M160 even though it doesn't get much attention.

The M160 is my overall favorite mic in general as well, and I really love it on almost all the RW cabs. The Ubercab T75 M160 CapEdge 6" is a nice IR for mid gain crunch I find...and sounds a lot like my Marshall 4x12/65 watt Celestions from a few feet away...

I mix in the stock 1x6 Oval to get creamy mids with the Ubercab IR for higher gain tones...or even for cleanish tones with a Maz38 amp. It's an interesting speaker to use to tweak out the mids with any given IR.

Here are the Redwires IR's in some of my AFX slots that I'm experimenting with, using the M160:

Ubercab T75 M160 CapEdge 6”
Ubercab T75: U87 CapEdge 4”, M160 CapEdge 6”, 50/50
Marshall 1960A G12Ms M160 CapEdge 2”
Basketweave G12Ms-25 M160 CapEdge 5”
Matchless G12H30M25 M160 CapEdge 5”
Ubercab T75: M160 CapEdge 5”, Royer R121 CapEdge 3”, 80/20
EVM12L M160 CapEdge 2”
Vox AC30 Silvers M160 CapEdge 1”

Oh, and thanks for the updates, and Happy Birthday Mike/Redwirez... :ugeek:

Stratoblaster said:
The M160 is my overall favorite mic in general as well, and I really love it on almost all the RW cabs. The Ubercab T75 M160 CapEdge 6" is a nice IR for mid gain crunch I find...and sounds a lot like my Marshall 4x12/65 watt Celestions from a few feet away...

I mix in the stock 1x6 Oval to get creamy mids with the Ubercab IR for higher gain tones...or even for cleanish tones with a Maz38 amp. It's an interesting speaker to use to tweak out the mids with any given IR.

Here are the Redwires IR's in some of my AFX slots that I'm experimenting with, using the M160:

Ubercab T75 M160 CapEdge 6”
Ubercab T75: U87 CapEdge 4”, M160 CapEdge 6”, 50/50
Marshall 1960A G12Ms M160 CapEdge 2”
Basketweave G12Ms-25 M160 CapEdge 5”
Matchless G12H30M25 M160 CapEdge 5”
Ubercab T75: M160 CapEdge 5”, Royer R121 CapEdge 3”, 80/20
EVM12L M160 CapEdge 2”
Vox AC30 Silvers M160 CapEdge 1”

Thanks for sharing this Strato, I'll have to give these a try.

Axisman5150 said:
Thanks for sharing this Strato, I'll have to give these a try.

No problem, have fun!

I should note that I trial these IR's through an FRFR system at stage/live levels; at recording/bedroom/headphone levels they'll sound darker, etc. When cranked, they really open up and the detail/character emerges. The different IR's in my cab slots favor certain amps/tones more than others, so I generally try each IR with almost every amp in the AFX and really great combinations become apparent.

I'm seriously liking the Brownface amp (drive ~ 3, master ~ 7) with the Marshall 1960A G12Ms M160 CapEdge 2” IR with my Strat for a cleanish tone; it's really punchy, sparkly, and alive...

I also follow the cab with a PEQ (sharp notch ~4.1KHz for dirt tones, LP blocking ~7.5KHz) and deal with the low end with the MBC. I spent time really getting to know the MBC in detail over the last week or so and find the I can tame any boomy low end issues with better, more natural sounding results than by using a HP filter blocking at ~120Hz (although that method does work great as well).

Back
Top Bottom