Free Redwirez Cab

VHDon said:
DAMN!!! I just bought this set today along with the 1960 V30 and Mesa V30 set.
Then you'll have more IRs than in the free version, so no regrets

Not sure where to put this, so I'll just post it here, even though it's not directly relevant to the free cab.

Those of you looking for a more scooped tone may want to try the impedance curve IRs we just released. You can download them on your My Stuff page at the bottom, under Updates.

They do a nice job of simulating what a tube-based power amp does to the frequency response of a speaker. Tube amps have a much higher output impedance than solid-state amps, so the speaker's frequency response is affected by its own impedance curve. This results in a bass bump at the speaker's resonance point, a mid-scoop, and a rising upper-end response.

We are beta-testing this feature in the mixIR. Now, in the mixIR you can tell it which speaker impedance curve to use and how much you want it to affect the frequency response. You can do this even if you aren't mixing IRs, by putting something like this in the recipe window:

Marshall1960B-V30s-R121-Cap-2in.wav,1

...and then selecting an impedance curve.

The results can be pretty dramatic. Let me know if they are useful. I have a feeling metal guys will get the most mileage out of it.

Ran some white noise through the curves and made this pretty picture:
impcurves-659x330.gif

The unaffected signal comes in around the peak of the blue line, so there's no boost to speak of, mostly some shaping of the mids. Peak to trough it's about a -10db cut.

You can play with the amount of "shaping" by using impedance curves of various degrees. We included 50% wet to 100% wet, which you see here. 50% wet is about a -3db cut, peak to trough.

redwire said:
The unaffected signal comes in around the peak of the blue line, so there's no boost to speak of, mostly some shaping of the mids. Peak to trough it's about a -10db cut.
FYI, that is a gross exaggeration of any possible contribution of amp output impedance to system response. Impedance peak values for 12" speakers can range from 40 ohms to more than 100 ohms, whereas the minimum value will usually be 5.5-6 ohms. If an amp has a very high output impedance - say 2 ohms - then the response of the system at that frequency will be reduced by 2.5dB. At the peak, the response will be reduced by .3dB, assuming a 50-ohm impedance at that frequency. The net change in response due to the speaker's impedance vs. frequency is therefore 2.2dB, hardly a dramatic effect. It will be substantially less than that for amps with output impedances lower than 2 ohms.

Practically speaking, this is another way to play around with the EQ of speaker IRs. It is no better or worse than any of the near-infinite variety of other options.

About -3db (or 50% wet in our "system") is what we were observing experimentally with a range of tube-based power amps vs. a solid state amp. So, that jibes with your calculations. But, -10db is so much more fun and can be useful. :)

This started out as a comparison between a tube amp into various resistive dummy loads and a few reactive loads and that same amp into a speaker. In that scenario we were getting 8-10db swings in frequency response shaped suspiciously like the speaker's impedance curve. So, the 100% wet curve could be used to ameliorate the "tone suck" that people are reporting when using some attenuators.

These curves are also partly in response to requests from metal guys for more scooped IRs. Instead of just scooping them out based on "our gut instincts" or what we thought sounded good for one particular setup, we figured this was a good way to guide the process. So, while it may be an exaggeration of the effect when applied 100% it isn't 100% arbitrary. Using these curves puts our IRs in the same extreme frequency space as a lot of the most popular IRs among the metal set. No one ever said metal was subtle :)

Cool stuff man, I love redwire IRs. I just played a gig tonight with my new Fav cabs/mic/positions (thanks Ang and Clark Kent :) ) loaded up and it sounded amazing. Like the AxeFX these IRs are the gift that keeps on giving.

Spence

I paired the G12M to the main cab (such as V30) in many of my presets, like a twin brother, adding so much body to the tone.

redwire said:
Happy Birthday to us. Happy Birthday to us. Happy Birthday dear Redwirez...

Yup. We're 1 year old. To honor the occasion we're releasing our Marshall 1960A with Celestion G12M 25-watt Greenbacks to the world gratis, libre, gratuito, fri, ???, frei, ??, ?????????, in other words... FREE. We've even added a few new mics for good measure.

For you folks who purchased the 1960A set already, we've added even more mics to the paid version of the 1960A cab. Y'all may be especially interested in the DPA 4007 samples (it's a REALLY flat reference mic). In the greedy, corporate, paid version we also included a set of G12M impedance curves in IR form. These can be useful for reproducing the scooped effect that tube-based power amps have on a speaker's frequency response. Maybe not so useful in the Axe-Fx, but, you guys working in a DAW should give them a try. Just hit your My Stuff page and download the library again to get the updates (Only the Marshall 1960A - G12M cab has been updated)

Here's the link to the free cab: http://www.redwirez.com/free1960g12m25s.jsp?ref=fractal

Feel free to spread the link far and wide, keep the IRs to yourself, though.

Thank you everyone for a great year. You guyz are awesome. :)

I just bought your total Redwire collection (Speakerbox and then Bigbox) and compare the free version and the paid version.
I just notice a difference: Paid version has 26 mics while free version has only 18.
Those on the paid version are:
-DPA 4007
-Earthworks TC30
-Neumann M7 on BLUE Bottle
-Neumann M8 on BLUE Bottle
-Neumann U47FET
-Sennheiser MD441
-Unidyne III 545
and the last folder is called Impedance Curve.
Is it the only difference?
Can you tell me how I'm supposed to use the waves in the Impedance Curve folder?

Spawn-X said:
Can you tell me how I'm supposed to use the waves in the Impedance Curve folder?

From another forum :
redwire said:
Those of you looking for a more scooped tone may want to try the impedance curve IRs we just released. (...) in the mixIR you can tell it which speaker impedance curve to use and how much you want it to affect the frequency response. You can do this even if you aren't mixing IRs, by putting something like this in the recipe window:

Marshall1960B-V30s-R121-Cap-2in.wav,1

...and then selecting an impedance curve.

The results can be pretty dramatic.

Also check this ;)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19865

As was pointed out, using the 100% "wet" impedance curve IR will give you an exaggerated scoop. Could be good for metal, though. The 50% wet IR is more subtle and closer to how a tube-based power amp will shape the frequency response of a speaker.

But, you don't need to use them at all. I've heard plenty of great demos on this board with the straight IRs.

Theoretically no, just with a lot more EQ "points" than you would get with a standard EQ and it should match up pretty well to what a tube amp will do to a particular speaker's frequency response... if used in moderation (50-60% wet), that is. If used to excess it becomes a one stop "metalizer" for our IRs.

Also, we thought it would be nice to have these available. As is so often the case, people come up with uses we never imagined.

redwire said:
Theoretically no, just with a lot more EQ "points" than you would get with a standard EQ and it should match up pretty well to what a tube amp will do to a particular speaker's frequency response... if used in moderation (50-60% wet), that is. If used to excess it becomes a one stop "metalizer" for our IRs.

Also, we thought it would be nice to have these available. As is so often the case, people come up with uses we never imagined.

Doesn't the PA sim of the axe already do this?

Back
Top Bottom