FREE ML Sound Lab IRs: "Clark Kent Job - Generation Y"

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with my band "Clark Kent Job" but were kind of a 90s Nu Metal/Grunge/Alternative type of band and we just released our new EP "Generation Y".

What we did with the guitars in the studio was something really special. We used four mics on a Mesa 4x12 Traditional/Stiletto cabinet (the smaller 4x12 cab that John Petrucci uses) and essentially created a 4 mic SM57-SM57-MD421-R121 ALLOY. All mics sound really good on their own and as an alloy it's probably some of my best work so I'm including both the single mics and the alloy which would be really hard to recreate without knowing the actual phase values for each mic.

At first I thought that these IRs would never be shared since we literally spent two days nailing that sound but then I started thinking about all the amazing stuff that this forum and you guys have given me so here's a free gift for you guys for being so awesome through-out all the years. :)

Download the EP with the IRs (also in .wav format!) here: https://db.tt/kFowgTqf

Here are two video examples of the guitar sound you should be able to get with these IRs:

First Time

Nympho

Here's a picture of the actual mic up from the studio. You can see that all speakers of this cabinet were used for this sound. Also you'll see a pair of headphones reversed for our lo-fi sounds for parts like the "First Time" intro.

CKJ%20STUDIO%20MIC%20UP%20(1%20of%201).jpg

If you want the exactly same guitar sound then I suggest you have a read here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ts-fw18-mesa-mark-iv-john-petrucci-guide.html We used a real Mark IV for this recording with settings close to these but we lowered the bass knob to 0-2 depending on the song and we also changed the amount of drive depending on the riff and guitar being used.

Enjoy and remember to have fun! Feel free to share the word about these IRs (they're in .wav format so it's not Axe-Fx only) and obviously the "Clark Kent Job - Generation Y" EP while you're at it. :)

WOW, thanks Mikko.
I think I'm getting a total man-crush on you ;)
Looking forward to trying this out. Still loving pack 13 by the way.

And your tunes sound great. I'm a 90's guy myself and I'm digging what you guys are doing.

Thank you whoodie for sharing this with us :), Now I downloaded your pack there is 5 IR, could you please tell me what's alloy IR I mean which mic ?,... and second question is, how we should use them in the Axe-Fx in order to get a right and proper result ?, I mean 2 cab in stereo mode and parallel or what not ?, or mix them in Cab-Lab ?,
what's your recommendation ?

Edit: now I read your post and got the point of alloy IR, so there is just one question for you ! :)

Last edited:
Thank you whoodie for sharing this with us :), Now I downloaded your pack there is 5 IR, could you please tell me what's alloy IR I mean which mic ?,... and second question is, how we should use them in the Axe-Fx in order to get a right and proper result ?, I mean 2 cab in stereo mode and parallel or what not ?, or mix them in Cab-Lab ?,
what's your recommendation ?

Edit: now I read your post and got the point of alloy IR, so there is just one question for you ! :)

Good questions!

Alloy IRs are the mixed IRs done with my own mic technique. My packs usually have 2 mic Alloys. This Alloy has 4 mics in it. It's very beefy sounding. You get more clarity with the single mics or by blending those other mics together. They work really good with each other.

If you want the exact tone we used for the EP then just use the Alloy IR. It's not the same thing as mixing those other IRs together in post.

I never ever ever ever use the Axe-Fx in stereo. :)

Good questions!

Alloy IRs are the mixed IRs done with my own mic technique. My packs usually have 2 mic Alloys. This Alloy has 4 mics in it. It's very beefy sounding. You get more clarity with the single mics or by blending those other mics together. They work really good with each other.

If you want the exact tone we used for the EP then just use the Alloy IR. It's not the same thing as mixing those other IRs together in post.

I never ever ever ever use the Axe-Fx in stereo. :)

Now I'm trying on Alloy IR... to me it's a very hard process in order to extract a tight and percussive tone from this tenacious IR, bud I love this challenge I will post the result :).

EDIT: you mean you never ever use this blacky box in stereo mode even for FXs ?, well actually I couldn't understand it's joke or a serious matter !! ? :)

Now I'm trying on Alloy IR... to me it's a very hard process in order to extract a tight and percussive tone from this tenacious IR, bud I love this challenge I will post the result :).

EDIT: you mean you never ever use this blacky box in stereo mode even for FXs ?, well actually I couldn't understand it's joke or a serious matter !! ? :)

The alloy is really beefy = dark for some amps = has a lot of mids = scoop your amps a lot to get it where it needs to be. :) The single mics are probably more "normal" EQ-wise but "dat beef" is in the Alloy IR. :)

And yes you understood correctly I've never used any effect of any sort or guitar sound in stereo with any of my Axe-Fxs. I treat my Axe-Fx like a real guitar amp. If I need something in stereo I'll double track or if I need stereo effects for a track I'll use effects in my DAW. :) That's just how I do it. It's not the "only right way to do things" but I feel like it helps to keep things realistic and simple. :)

Thank you Mikko. You are a gentleman and a scholar. Downloading the package now. about recording, I use the same method as yours in the studio. Just amp and cabs and maybe OD pedals, Sometimes I use real pedals as well and rest of the effects are from the DAW.

Thanks a lot I'll see how I can destroy your intentions with this IR.

Compliments to you and your band for a good mix of ingredients which I think makes an organic blend.

I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with my band "Clark Kent Job" but were kind of a 90s Nu Metal/Grunge/Alternative type of band and we just released our new EP "Generation Y".

What we did with the guitars in the studio was something really special. We used four mics on a Mesa 4x12 Traditional/Stiletto cabinet (the smaller 4x12 cab that John Petrucci uses) and essentially created a 4 mic SM57-SM57-MD421-R121 ALLOY. All mics sound really good on their own and as an alloy it's probably some of my best work so I'm including both the single mics and the alloy which would be really hard to recreate without knowing the actual phase values for each mic.

At first I thought that these IRs would never be shared since we literally spent two days nailing that sound but then I started thinking about all the amazing stuff that this forum and you guys have given me so here's a free gift for you guys for being so awesome through-out all the years. :)

Download the EP with the IRs (also in .wav format!) here: https://db.tt/kFowgTqf

Here are two video examples of the guitar sound you should be able to get with these IRs:

First Time

Nympho

Here's a picture of the actual mic up from the studio. You can see that all speakers of this cabinet were used for this sound. Also you'll see a pair of headphones reversed for our lo-fi sounds for parts like the "First Time" intro.

CKJ%20STUDIO%20MIC%20UP%20(1%20of%201).jpg

If you want the exactly same guitar sound then I suggest you have a read here: http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...ts-fw18-mesa-mark-iv-john-petrucci-guide.html We used a real Mark IV for this recording with settings close to these but we lowered the bass knob to 0-2 depending on the song and we also changed the amount of drive depending on the riff and guitar being used.

Enjoy and remember to have fun! Feel free to share the word about these IRs (they're in .wav format so it's not Axe-Fx only) and obviously the "Clark Kent Job - Generation Y" EP while you're at it. :)

Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom