*FREE* Far-Field Session #2 Cab Pack

Just for my perusal; Is it mandatory to mix the different ir of a SAME cab, or can it be done realistically between any cabs and how to make sur the starting time alignments "To" of the used IR are realistic "enough" ?

For example if I mix a FAS 4x12 mesa cab of the factory cabs with a FAS FF 4x12 mesa cab, will they be time aligned correctly as they come from the same OEM provider ?

What if I mix with one of Jay's FF IR ?

Just for my perusal; Is it mandatory to mix the different ir of a SAME cab, or can it be done realistically between any cabs

It's not mandatory one way or the other. Mix different IR's of the same or different cabs at will.

For example if I mix a FAS 4x12 mesa cab of the factory cabs with a FAS FF 4x12 mesa cab, will they be time aligned correctly as they come from the same OEM provider ?

The stock cabs are all time aligned, however there's no guarantee IR's from different vendors will be aligned with them.

Just for my perusal; Is it mandatory to mix the different ir of a SAME cab, or can it be done realistically between any cabs and how to make sur the starting time alignments "To" of the used IR are realistic "enough" ?

Have a look at the pic in my post a page or so back to see my approach. The IRs usually have a big peak at the left end. I slide the FF one right so the top of its peak is just a little to the right of the top of the close-mic IR's peak. Play around a smidgen at a time with the alignment until your ears are happy.

The two IRs don't need to be the same speaker and/or mic, either. There is a 6" speaker room IR in the factory IRs that sounds great at 7-13dB down relative to the close-mic IR. Again, season to taste....

The factory IRs are 'Minimum Phase Transformed', which looks to me like they just clip off the dead air ahead of the impulse arriving at the mic used to capture it, so if you import some, and that is an option, it will make alignment easier.

HTH!

Looking forward to trying these. I always wanted more examples than the horrid JM far-fields. They worked ok for cleaner tones. But anything with gobs of harmonics ...not so much.

I'm curious as to how the Smoothing parameter will affect them as well.

One of the things I've found really useful about these is they are a good starting point for dialing the amp block in. Near-field IRs can have excessive bass and/or treble. To compensate we might end up doing strange things in the amp block which throws off the distortion character and feel. When using a far-field IR it's very similar to how the amp sounds through a conventional cab.

So what I'm doing is using one of the far-field IRs to start, dial in the amp block and then choose a near-field IR. I then adjust the low/high cuts in the cab block rather than adjusting the amp block.

Since I dont have an axe3 and really have no idea how these sound, anyone want to post some clips/examples?

One of the things I've found really useful about these is they are a good starting point for dialing the amp block in. Near-field IRs can have excessive bass and/or treble. To compensate we might end up doing strange things in the amp block which throws off the distortion character and feel. When using a far-field IR it's very similar to how the amp sounds through a conventional cab.

So what I'm doing is using one of the far-field IRs to start, dial in the amp block and then choose a near-field IR. I then adjust the low/high cuts in the cab block rather than adjusting the amp block.
Thank you for this tip...can’t wait to try it out. @yek, is this wiki worthy?

Finally got a chance today to check these out (just the the Favorites folder) and they are OUTSTANDING. They add that extra "amp in a room" tone to the close-up IRs.

Using them at 1024 length AND adjusting the time align series so the near-fields are moved later to match the new far-field's peaks. It adds more realism to each of the amps I tried them with - AC20, dual Recto, Vibrolux, Princeton BF, and Jr. Blues. Keepers for sure!

Be awesome to eventually have more of these to choose from for all the factory cabs/to pair up...

I generally misalign just a bit when mixing a close-mic IR and a distant-mic IR, making sure the center of the first peak of the distant mic IR is a smidgen after the same part of the first peak on the close IR....

Back
Top Bottom