FracTool - for power users only

That's normal, FracTool converts amp levels by approximating the transfer function. Both machines work differently on this parameter and i had to approximate the ax8 function as i don't have one

I converted some AX8 presets to my AxeFx II and they came over way loud and lighting all the red lights. Thing is it seems I have to reduce them to extraordinary lengths to get them to stop. For example, I have a simple Fender Twin preset, just amp and cab created on AxeFx and the amp block output level is -15db. The same preset created on AX8 and imported wont stop clipping until almost -30db. Weird.

Here's one I noticed today. Exported an AX8 preset with Axe-Manage. Cab proximity was set to 2.5, but the proximity switch was off. I then imported the patch into my Axe using Fractool. The setting of 2.5 was maintained, but it set the mic to 'null' instead of 'none'. I think 'none' is equivslent to the proximity switch being off. Am I interpreting it wrong?

RR

Here's one I noticed today. Exported an AX8 preset with Axe-Manage. Cab proximity was set to 2.5, but the proximity switch was off. I then imported the patch into my Axe using Fractool. The setting of 2.5 was maintained, but it set the mic to 'null' instead of 'none'. I think 'none' is equivslent to the proximity switch being off. Am I interpreting it wrong?

RR
When importing ax8 presets, mic type is always set to null in order to retain ax8 's proximity setting.

I converted some AX8 presets to my AxeFx II and they came over way loud and lighting all the red lights. Thing is it seems I have to reduce them to extraordinary lengths to get them to stop. For example, I have a simple Fender Twin preset, just amp and cab created on AxeFx and the amp block output level is -15db. The same preset created on AX8 and imported wont stop clipping until almost -30db. Weird.
If you have both axefx and ax8, please try to find where the difference occurs. That's something i can't do without an ax8...

When importing ax8 presets, mic type is always set to null in order to retain ax8 's proximity setting.

Since the AX8 doesn have mic settings, it has both a proximity value, and a proximity on/off switch (although I must admit I don't know why when you can just turn the proximity value to 0.00). The Axe has a proximity value and a mic selection drop down. It would seem to me that the proximity value could be transferred directly either way, but having the AX8 proximity switch set to off would correspond to the Axe mic selection of 'none' rather than 'null'. No?

RR

If you have both axefx and ax8, please try to find where the difference occurs. That's something i can't do without an ax8...

I will be doing some experimenting here as well. I have two patches that when transferred directly show vastly differing levels as well, even with the amp level set the same. I can't find any differences. I'm not sure if it is Fractool, or unit differences. Other patch transfers worked fine. Today I'm going to dump them to CSV and do a complete AX8 to Axe block by block parm compare.

RR

I will be doing some experimenting here as well. I have two patches that when transferred directly show vastly differing levels as well, even with the amp level set the same. I can't find any differences. I'm not sure if it is Fractool, or unit differences. Other patch transfers worked fine. Today I'm going to dump them to CSV and do a complete AX8 to Axe block by block parm compare.

RR

Scratch that....it ain't happening. The CSV export function in AX8-Edit seems to be hosed. I can't do the comparison with Fractool because 1) it wouldn't help me rule out Fractool and 2) rather than in db, Fractool shows level and mix parameters in weird percentages that I can't extrapolate, so I can't compare apples to apples. (I've attached a screenshot of the delay block example - check out the mix parameter). I guess without understanding the SYSEX file format or what conversion is being done to create the AX8 patches, I still don't really understand why an Axe level of 5db in an amp block can't just be copied to and displayed as 5db in the AX8 amp block post conversion.

Unfortunately, unless I stumble on it by mistake, I won't be able to do this comparison until I get the CSV export function working properly.

RR

Attachments

• delay block.jpg
    delay block.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 9
Because one level is logarithmic and the other one is linear... If you have both machines, please compare presets on the machines then you'll be able to see what changes

Because one level is logarithmic and the other one is linear... If you have both machines, please compare presets on the machines then you'll be able to see what changes

I may do that at some point, but right now there's just too many parms to manually compare on the machines. Too many other things I need to do today. If I find the time and discover something, I'll report back.

RR

I guess it is when I go to the axechange page and click on a preset . It opens a grid window for each preset I try. I end up with a bunch of grid windows that I have to close.

I guess it is when I go to the axechange page and click on a preset . It opens a grid window for each preset I try. I end up with a bunch of grid windows that I have to close.

I can confirm this behavior, but my guess would be it's by design as the window that pops up lets you view what the scene changes do and access the "Create Random Preset with this layout button"... might be worth asking AlGrenadine if there can be an option to pop up the layout view window or not on that, but I personally think it's a benefit to have open in this particular case.

Have you tried out the new Axe-Edit 3.8.0 released today which adds in the ability to browse axechange?

7. Axe-Change is now accessible from Axe-Edit. Choose Axe-Change from the Tools menu. This will open an Axe-Change browser in a separate window to allow quick modifications to a newly downloaded Axe-Change Preset or Cab. (NOTE: Download functionality is only supported at this time.)

Opens a new "Axe-Change" window with table views for the cabs and presets, and has it's own Auto-Audition feature as well.

Both really cool features on really cool software, so great to own a fractal device and have all this awesome software and hardware features from all these awesomely smart folks! :D

Last edited:
It would be cool to have the option of keeping a single grid window open and having it populated with the most recently selected preset.

I haven't read all the posts, so sorry if this has already been brought up but I have 2 issues:

1. When I export 1 preset from a preset bank backed up from my Axe-Fx II Mark I FW Q3.03 using FracTool v2.20, it's MD5 hash doesn't match the same preset if exported using the original AxeFXBankMgr v0.3.2, Axe-Edit v3.7.2 or Fractal-Bot v2.8.0.
** I also looked at the Preset's syx files in a HEX reader and they don't match.
*** The AxeFXBankMgr v0.3.2 and FracTool v2.20 syx files do not match
*** Axe-Edit v3.7.2 and Fractal-Bot v2.8.0 syx files do match
*** If I export a preset from a backup preset bank using FracTool v2.20 it matches if I export the preset using FracTool v2.20 Get Device's Preset.

2. When I export a preset from a preset bank using FracTool v2.20, it doesn't include the preset number in the preset name like the way AxeFXBankMgr v0.3.2 does. I think it's really helpful to include the preset number.

I have attached the preset syx files

Attachments

• 59 Bassguy - Axe-Edit v3.7.2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 59 Bassguy - Fractal-Bot v2.8.0.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 59 Bassguy - FracTool v2.20.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 000 - 59 Bassguy - AxeFXBankMgr v0.3.2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 160626-231452-bank-A.syx
    810.9 KB · Views: 5
1. Normal, presets exported are recreated and their verdion number is set to latest.
2. May add the option in the future

Back
Top Bottom