Fractal units not cutting thru vs regular amps in rehersal

It's all about the midrange.

Slap a GEQ block in 5-band passive mode at the end of the preset and either:

1. Make a "frowny" curve by boosting low mids, mids, high mids. Followed by a level adjustment to prevent clipping.
2. Or make a "frowny" curve by cutting lows, low mids, high mids, highs. Followed by a level adjustment to get back gain.

I like the overall level to remain constant with the EQ bypassed or engaged OR the overall level to be up 3-4 db for a solo boost.

I've had the opposite result in jam settings, where my tone is almost in HD and the other guys using traditional amps sounded like they had a blanket over them. I sometimes want to disappear in the mix as well as be on top. I think that comes down to too much highs in your setting. I use the hi cut in the cab block aggressively 6k etc...sometimes i still feel like i'm too trebley...who knows...

Speaker = Atomic Clr

In that setting I was using one of the Hook models. I can't recall what cab. Likely an Ownhammer. I know alot of people feel the OH Ir's are very bright....but they're definitely appealing when you first hear them...

Well yesterday I noticed that some settings where not where I wanted them to be, maybe thats why it was so shitty that rehersar... We'll see next tuesday what happends!

want to make you sound cut thru? use the global eq until it cuts, this is not magic guys, its your ears and experience vs not knowing how to EQ a guitar tone properly to fit in a mix

Last edited:
ok, so it was user error

anyway, i was gonna chime in and agree with others that it's more likely a patch creation problem than a speaker problem. patches created at bedroom volume often have way too much gain and not enough mids. hearing them in direct comparison to real amps only serves to highlight the issue. there shouldn't be any need for drastic EQ moves...it's all about the amp eq and keeping the gain down to reasonable (and realistic) levels, so the amp still has some natural dynamics. it's the peak, not the rms that helps it cut through, along with enough mids and sensible levels of bass and treble

Also, it's a different animal when you are playing a FRFR setup with cab sims, vs guys using real amps and standard guitar cabs. Like other have said, you have to use yours ears & EQ it make it work. It would be easier to match/blend with the other guys though, if you using a Fractal, with a regular power amp into a regular (and similar the other guys) guitar cab.

Ultra or axe fx2, never ever experienced a problem for cutting through with frfr. Sound just has become better over the FW versions. Just do some research about how tube amps, eq and speakers work together and what exactly are impulse irs and fletcher Munson . It will make you win a lot of time and give you a good understanding of how guitars sound gets constructed,. With or without Axe fx such knowledge is mandatory for sculpting your sound.

I've seen and played in just about every combination of bands with/without the Ultra/AxeII/AX8 modelers and tube amps. Whether or not the guitar cuts through is 100% due to the nut behind the wheel.

My high gain presets always sound softer and cut less than mid or low gain even though they are actually louder. It's a compression thing.

Back
Top Bottom