Fractal Expression pedal

I love my Boss and Mission pedals. I have no dead spots on them what so ever. They are properly calibrated. Everything works great. If I needed another pedal I'd try out the Fractal but I just don't need another pedal at the moment.

I believe so. Link with proper instructions would serve many well.

If you are getting the same dead spots on the EV-1 that you are on your other one, why are you blaming Fractal for this like their pedal is a piece of junk? I'm willing to bet that some other piece of equipment you've hooked up, or the way you've hooked it up is junk. That's like hearing dead spots in your volume knob, then only replacing the actual knob and not the pot and then still blaming the knob and post about it in the knob forum saying their knob's suck.

I have same dead spots on EV1...not sure the difference? Same dead on first 1/3 of travel. Guidance to alleviate this?
Sounds like a wrong taper somewhere. You're using the expression output of the pedal?

If you are getting the same dead spots on the EV-1 that you are on your other one, why are you blaming Fractal for this like their pedal is a piece of junk? I'm willing to bet that some other piece of equipment you've hooked up, or the way you've hooked it up is junk. That's like hearing dead spots in your volume knob, then only replacing the actual knob and not the pot and then still blaming the knob and post about it in the knob forum saying their knob's suck.

WTF? I've used Fractal for 7 years and helped many come to the river to drink and purchase units. I didn't say it was junk!!!!! I said I perceive no difference in the sweep over the Boss pedal that I was trying to replace. PERIOD. ENTIRE POINT OF BUYING EV1 WAS TO ELIMINATE DEAD SPOTS!!!!!! I am not new at any of this....I use good cables, calibrate, and not an idiot that throws his hands up without trying things out first. Back off.....

Tremonti,

I just recently picked up an EV1, to replace my BOSS. To me, the EV1 has a much more useable sweep. Easier to dial in a specific volume point; smooth taper from start to finish; good control. I'm not sure I'm hearing or feeling the same dead spots your are. For me, this resolved the loss of precise control I was not feeling with the BOSS. The BOSS was definitely my go-to pedal for the past few years, but I always felt there was a lack of being able to zero in on a tight, specific volume point - I am able to do that with the EV1.

I also tried the Mission, but this didn't work for me, for volume - too short of a sweep, so not enough precise control; the Mission does work flawlessly as an effects/wah sweep pedal, though.

I tried a few volumes (EB, Hilton, Goodrich) before these, as well, but none of these worked well as an "expression" pedal. They all work great in my analogue rig for volume, but not as digital expression pedals.

All this being said, I have nothing "useful" to offer - just that the EV1 seems great to me, as a volume controller (probably wouldn't use it as a wah, due to the longer sweep). Easy to dial in, and I'm not getting the dead spots. Feel-wise, it's similar to an EB, without the tone-suckage. Sorry it's not working for you. I expect you'd be able to get back most of what you paid for it, if you decide to sell, as they're pretty popular, right now. I'm not sure what you replace it with, though, that would be better.

Back off.....

Tend to agree. I don't see Tremonti being malicious. Surprised, puzzled, disappointed... maybe. Not worthy of a piranha party. I got the EV-1 and instantly bonded to the quality. It was intense. I like the long sweep and wide pedal. Made me want to throw my Crybaby in the dumpster. It took me a bit to get it working with my rig.

I really think it takes some time to fine tune the wah function. I've got mine working ok tonewise but I would say I'm at 70% of the tone I'm looking for. Which is great because we have to put it in perspective. How many other programmable wah systems are out there that we have so much control over.

I have no doubt that you will get your rig fine tuned to your specs.

Just a thought: I use a VOL/PAN block all the time and had a global block with a tailored sweep pattern to handle a dodgy expression pedal. When I got my EV-1 I had to re-do my global block to fit a now-working pedal.
Maybe something similar going on?

1st 1/3rd of movement causes nothing....same as Boss FV500H

Then it's not calibrated properly. I have the same pedal (the Boss, not the Fractal) and have never encountered this.

That, or the first part of your sweep on the Axe-Fx's controller slope is leveled at 0.

I'd suggest double checking everything, starting with pedals and connections. Use the manual(s) meticulously to assure there are no setup issues.

This might well have nothing to do with the pedal or calibration. It could be the setting of the sweep in a controller for the preset. There are myriad reasons why it might happen, and that it happened with two separate pedals points to the issue likely being elsewhere. It could happen, but I am very skeptical that the Boss and FAS pedals would have a defect in exactly the same portion of the sweep, so I am doubtful that the pedal is the source of the missing 1/3 of pedal travel reaction.

I'd suggest double checking everything, starting with pedals and connections. Use the manual(s) meticulously to assure there are no setup issues.

This might well have nothing to do with the pedal or calibration. It could be the setting of the sweep in a controller for the preset. There are myriad reasons why it might happen, and that it happened with two separate pedals points to the issue likely being elsewhere. It could happen, but I am very skeptical that the Boss and FAS pedals would have a defect in exactly the same portion of the sweep, so I am doubtful that the pedal is the source of the missing 1/3 of pedal travel reaction.

Ok....update. Went home at lunch. My calibration was off even though I did correct prior. Top use of pedal is better on wah than the Boss. Think issue is when you set the auto on function and lowest it goes is 5% of bottom to trigger on/off, this causes the first initial 1/3 of movement to be use-less, therefore not pedals fault. guess I'm wishes for a lower number being available. This IMO is my issue versus a real wah. Thanks for replies...well most of them anyways. Cliff anyway a future update would allow lower than 5%? I know why you set it there, so folks don't complain that it doesn't go off. But the option would be nice to tinker with.

I recant that the the Fractal EV-1 is same sweep as Boss. It is better. Issue is auto on value. This is the key to making real wah users happy I believe.

What are the "autoeng" and "off val" modifier parameters set to? Using a "position" (POS) autoeng style rather than speed (SPD) will ensure it engages at 5% beyond the off value. So with off value = 5% the block will engage at 10%. SPD options will be less consistent since it's based on the detected pedal movement speed.

Ok....update. Went home at lunch. My calibration was off even though I did correct prior. Top use of pedal is better on wah than the Boss. Think issue is when you set the auto on function and lowest it goes is 5% of bottom to trigger on/off, this causes the first initial 1/3 of movement to be use-less, therefore not pedals fault. guess I'm wishes for a lower number being available. This IMO is my issue versus a real wah. Thanks for replies...well most of them anyways. Cliff anyway a future update would allow lower than 5%? I know why you set it there, so folks don't complain that it doesn't go off. But the option would be nice to tinker with.

I recant that the the Fractal EV-1 is same sweep as Boss. It is better. Issue is auto on value. This is the key to making real wah users happy I believe.

I had a similar issue with not liking the feeling of that setting. One of the guys here helped me with a suggestion that was very creative. It also helped me for using the same pedal for volume work...

I now use auto-engage, but have it set to 93% (I think, not looking at it right now) so it is off when toe down instead of the normal heel down. This made it responsive where I actually used it and the roll-off area was in a portion of the travel that was uncomfortable to use anyway. I also adjusted the sweep in the preset so it focused in the frequency I wanted. Worked GREAT! Step down on the heel of the pedal, it's on, toe it fully forward past 93% of travel, it's off.

This also had the advantage of having the pedal in the full-on position when I went to a volume control patch. You should try it.

Another issue messing with values. Heard clicking and the claw is slipping on the gear. This may be why calibration didn't work first time. Now having issues again.

Quick question, I'm new here and have been struggling setting up my EV-1 and Mission sp1,,, I added a volume block to a preset and neither pedal will adjust the level. I have them both calibrated and it shows on my mfc 101 as the numbers change when I move the pedal. I had also watched a couple vids of guys setting up and i still dont know what the deal is. I just upgraded to firmware 19. any help would be amazing. thanks!

Quick question, I'm new here and have been struggling setting up my EV-1 and Mission sp1,,, I added a volume block to a preset and neither pedal will adjust the level. I have them both calibrated and it shows on my mfc 101 as the numbers change when I move the pedal. I had also watched a couple vids of guys setting up and i still dont know what the deal is. I just upgraded to firmware 19. any help would be amazing. thanks!

Not to try and hijack the post, but I also use the SP-1 for wah and EV-1 for volume, and I can't seem to get it to work. The SP-1 works the wah fine. The EV-1 is calibrated and shows movement on the MFC, but not having any luck getting it to work in the volume block modifier... I am very new to external controllers and have watched the setup video's, so I'm sure it is an "I-D-10-T user error"... I may not have the CC#/Ext controller set up correctly... so will try again this weekend... :D

Please don't hijack folks. This is a specific issue that Tremonti has.

It still *smells* like a calibration error someplace. But I suggest contacting support to see if there is something actually wrong with the pedal.

IMO.

Back
Top Bottom