Fractal Audio welcomes Steve Vai!

Steve just posted this on his facebook account:

"My new amp rig... I'm running the send out of the back of my Carvin Legacy II into the Axe-FX and then back out of that returning two two Carvin Legacy heads. Amazing Flexibility. It's a powerful combination."

Looks like he likes the AXE for effects...

kfliegner said:
christopherzberlin said:
Well, the only guy missing to me is Steve Lukather...
Fripp and The Edge are bound to try this thing sooner or later.

Robert Fripp knows about it, I alerted his attention to it a few weeks back & he said he'd check it out. ....meanwhile I'm still trying to save the pennies for an Ultra myself...

WOW! One of my all-time favorite guitarists. I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually do the dual Axe-FX Ultra thing and and blend them together like Dweezil does. ...direct FRFR. I know that he endorses Carvin amps, too, right? So, i don't see him just coming right out and saying, "I don't need amps any more." But, once you realize what this box can do direct, It's tempting to not even bother with traditional amps. ...Especially if you use as many effects and what not as a guy like Steve Vai does. All of the routing and lfexibility is cool and useful to have, but ultimately unneccesary.

Jiffzillla said:
Matman said:
This really is exciting news. Steve Vai and his music have influenced me and my outlook on music for the best, from Flex-Able (which I bought on a copied cassette...) through Crossroads which I rented endlessly as a teenager, through his electrifying solo and studio work with all those great artists, right up the my recent viewing of his Where the Wild Things Are DVD via digital TV On Demand. I've always felt he manages to integrate flash and feeling and fun together in a very unique way.

'Skyscraper' has always been one of my "Desert Island Discs".

Sorry for the hijack. But have you ever tried to dial in the tone from the intro to Perfect Timing or Two Fools a Minute from that disc, Matman? Get anything close? I absolutely LOVE those tones. :)
I know it's been a while since this posting but I dig those tones as well and was just checking out a video of the Marsha amp in anticipation of v10. Sounds like it's got the tight bottom end (not too big and boomy) and articulate distortion that's so prevalent on Skyscraper. The guy that's demoing the amp plays a few riffs off the album. Sounds pretty sweet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9NISyViNBM
Hm... I wonder if v10 is going to somehow offer all the switch options that are available on the back of the amp... but, I digress.

Mr. Vai, welcome aboard - this is a first for me, usually I go where you are and not the other way around :lol: (now, what should I do with my gsystem...) Anyway I'm a big fan.

Is he really using the axe now? Or is he trying it out (as said on his forum)?

Im not bying it until i see him using it live on stage

Odin70 said:
:lol: You're a funny guy! :lol: You made my day! Really!
I won't ever bye mine ... no matter who uses it wherever ... :lol:

Maybe that's confusing, I meant: I won't ever give mine away, no matter who, what and wherever whatever however ... :ugeek:

Odin70 said:

It always cracks me up when people won't rely on their own intuition...and only "follow their idols" (or whoever else) like sheep. The AxeFx must interest you in some way...or why are you here??? Why not make use of the return policy and....wait for it...wait for it....make a decision for your self
:idea:

Unless you're kidding of course...

Odin70 said:

You've been waiting for this confirmation since December? ...and you're a bass player? :?

At last, some news for you all!

I went to see Steve Vai last night playing with the North Holland Orchestra and guess what?
1) There was no G-system in the building.
2) A lot of 'signature' pedals were missing apart from the Jemini..........
3) There was this funny creature called the Axe-FX ultra with its matching MFC controller sat onstage, nestled between 2 Legacy Amps...........

So Yes, Mr. Vai is using it! :D

I have photos as proof but I won't near my computer until Sunday night as I'm going back for the second orchestra gig tonight. :p

Oh and the show was mind numbingly good. Especially the new epic composition on the 7-string!

Cheers,

Andy

Now that is cool.

That format is great for his music - it's never struck me that those full orchestra plus band things are all that great, but this... this works. I'd like to see that live.

Diego said:
Yes I found some YouTube videos where you can see the Axe!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv3_bXftP9g&sns=em
Wow, I'm very much impressed !
I have seen Steve Vai in concert many times with Frank Zappa, but never since, even if I did enjoy some of his records.
But he doesnt come very often in France, so I never had (or missed) a chance to see him since that period.

BTW, you can see abig pink "A" on the Ultra sitting behind him. Does he use 2 on stage (or more ?!), or is it just for backup ?
Funny, this "A" has exactly the same style as the A and B on Dweezil's Ultras.
Probably because they share the same guitar tech, the wonderful Thomas Nordegg ;)
:twisted:

Thomas Nordegg was there guitar tech'ing for Vai.
There was only one Axe-fx being used, with the Jemini pedal, 2 Boss style expression pedals, a Dunlop style wah or wah controller and the MFC-101 with Dweezil type labels.

The Orchestrations were beautiful to hear as there are several pieces written by Vai specifically for the Orchestra as well as a few of his older pieces adjusted to use them as backing.
Really is nothing like when Metallica or similar just shove an Orchestra behind without any real arrangements done.

Cheers,

Andy

Photos, as promised:

The Rig (Sorry for the blurry pic, but you get the idea):
2ynpjxu.jpg

The Pedalboard:
2s12hp0.jpg

Enjoy!

AndyWill said:
Photos, as promised:

The Rig (Sorry for the blurry pic, but you get the idea):
2ynpjxu.jpg

The Pedalboard:
2s12hp0.jpg

Enjoy!
:shock:
Wow! I wonder who made his MFC labels? Very similar to DZ's.

Back
Top Bottom