Fractal Audio welcomes Steve Vai!

GuitarDojo said:
:shock:
Wow! I wonder who made his MFC labels? Very similar to DZ's.
They have to be similar : Thomas Nordegg, Steve Vai's and DZ's guitar tech (guitar wizard might be better) does them for both.
:twisted:

Wow. FTLOG with an orchestra sounds awesome. That setup is great, but can he really run the heads loud enough on stage with an orchestra like that for the cabs to be mic'ed? Think they were for show?

The mics weren't for show; they were used to bring the guitar sound into the venue. Also there were some recordings made during shows and rehearsals.
Regarding the fractal: there were two, one active and there was a spare, including a spare mfc.
Thomas, as the ultimate tech he is, figured out how to download Steve's patches into his iPhone and from there into the spare fractal. He created all the labels on the MFC, and it looks extremely professional. There are also labels on the two foot pedals (EV-5) for whammy & volume.

The fractal made Steve's setup extremely simple. A total of 7 plugs to connect and it's up & running. Of course Thomas' custom pedal board is plug & play, with only 1 midi cable and 1 lead in the snake.

Steve was quite happy with the fractal. He created a few custom patches and migrated one or two from his Eventide (Alien Love Secrets patch, Yaiyai patch - both which were used during his piece 'Expanding the Universe').

I had the opportunity to play with the spare ultra myself for a bit, and I have to say, I want one. Besides the unbelievable good sound, it's user friendliness is mind bending :) Unfortunately, I had to ship the spare back... :S I cried all the way to the post office :)

J

I am noticing a CryBaby instead of a Bad Horsie...interesting...wonder if he will eventually transition to an "AxeFX" wah instead of a stand-alone?

Hi
I saw Steve Vai this evening at the Sony center in Toronto.
He is part of the "Hendrix Experience" tour.

He had great tone. I could see the Ultra proudly stacked atop his two Carvin amps.
How does Steve configure his rig ?

K have a pic I can post later.

aaronv84 said:
:eek:
GuitarDojo said:
AndyWill said:
Photos, as promised:

The Rig (Sorry for the blurry pic, but you get the idea):
2ynpjxu.jpg

The Pedalboard:
2s12hp0.jpg

Enjoy!
:shock:
Wow! I wonder who made his MFC labels? Very similar to DZ's.

I SOOOOO WANT ONE OR TWO

I wonder what he's doing with the Jemini pedal. Hey... why not have it in the Axe-Fx? :) But seriously... it's there just for promotion right?

Clark Kent said:
I wonder what he's doing with the Jemini pedal. Hey... why not have it in the Axe-Fx? :) But seriously... it's there just for promotion right?

My understanding is that Vai is a long time modded DS-1 user and that one of his requirements for the Legacy was that it take pedals well. If that's true, it wouldn't shock me if he was using it, lots of dudes run pedals and that one was built to his specs.

You would think most guitar players would dig Steve's playing.
I kinda avoided listening to him, would loose interest (Now Holdsworth or Metheny, Timmons, EJ are a different story for me, cant get enough of that mojo).
After watching the Wild Things DVD in entirety last night (Gift from wife, she thinks hes hot...) i have gained a whole new appreciation.
Got to say it was very good, what a player, showman, band leader and artist.
Weird crazy stuff!!!
No wonder he likes the Fractal!!

Dramelot said:
You would think most guitar players would dig Steve's playing.
I kinda avoided listening to him, would loose interest (Now Holdsworth or Metheny are a different story for me, cant get enough of that mojo).
After watching the Wild Things DVD in entirety last night (Gift from wife, she thinks hes hot...) i have gained a whole new appreciation.
Got to say it was very good, what a player, showman, band leader and artist.
Weird crazy stuff!!!
No wonder he likes the Fractal!!

Agreed. His style was usually to out there for my taste but there's is no denying his talent. He is a master craftsman for sure.

Interestingly

Interestingly, he seems to still be using Legacy 1 amp, not Legacy 2. In the meanwhile there are a good number of clips on youtube where folks say just how much better Legacy 2 is. :lol:

Pedals are still waaaay cool!!!
Vai uses a Keeley modded DS-1 and of course other pedals he designed.
Like us I am sure he falls in and out of love for lots of gear over the years.
His tone is absolutely flawless...WOW what an endorsement for Fractal!

Vai setup.jpgVai2.jpg198645_616355135043006_130126639_n.jpg

Setup of Steve Vai during his gig with the NNO on 25th of May 2013-Groningen-The Netherlands
Some blurred pics with my iPhone but you get the idea....

Back
Top Bottom