Fractal Audio DRIVE models: BB Pre (based on Xotic BB preamp)

Screenshot please yek :(
No screenshot necessary - put an AMP block in front of the AMP block that you're currently using in the Axe.*
Make it the Friedman BE.
Then turn the SUPPLY SAG to zero (0).
You now have just the pre-amp portion of the Friedman BE, as a drive pedal, which is the best approximation of the pedal you can get (and probably sounds better than the pedal would).

* If you use a "real" amp in 4CM, put this before the amp like you would a DRIVE block, as we're effectively making a drive pedal.

No screenshot necessary - put an AMP block in front of the AMP block that you're currently using in the Axe.*
Make it the Friedman BE.
You now have just the pre-amp portion of the Friedman BE, as a drive pedal, which is the best approximation of the pedal you can get (and probably sounds better than the pedal would).

* If you use a "real" amp in 4CM, put this before the amp like you would a DRIVE block, as we're effectively making a drive pedal.

Question I gather this is possible with any amp or amps...?

Might be fun to put an amp that breaks faster in front of one that stays clean and maybe create a 300 watt monster.
This spawns new ideas.

Make it the Friedman BE.

So two CAB AMP, placed in series, but calibrated differently :eek:

I think the chain would look something like this:

AMP -> AMP -> CAB ..., etc; etc;

The 1st Amp is the one that you would set the SUPPLY SAG to "0" .... Then feed it in series to the 2nd Amp. The 1st amp becomes essentially a preamp ( or in your case the representation of Friedman's BE pedal ) ....

Does that help ?

Interesting.. slaving essentially without the chance of Fire..

with tube amps if you have one amp that breaks up faster
and both amps have speaker loads as normal,
you can place a Direct box between head and cab of first amp
then tap off safely fro DI box and go into reverb delay or other efx
into the front end of 2nd amp... if 2nd amp is set flat eq wise all its essentially doing is
RE AMPING the 1st amp since its line level something the Suhr Iso box offers
is a gain knob on that line level signal. if 2nd amp has 1 meg resistors at input jack
that wont be a problem as the signal gets 1 meg boost at input if you
wanted more jangle or grit you might use FET input of 2nd amp vs normal and set some dirt in stone
in the overall sound just adding a slight more edge or hair when the input is slammed with 1st amp
going into explosion mode.

if both amps are mic'd and you push 2nd amp with efx best placed post preamp or poweramp
stage then you just mix the wet amp a bit louder out front via PA.
Van Halen did this dry signal from first amp into stereo power amp with stereo efx or reverb
post power amp or between power amp and speaker of 1st amp then into H & H stereo power amp..

Landau does it getting rental amps or loaners from each town and bringing one main amp
then slaving that into another type amp say super into a bassman or deluxe..
think he uses Suhr iso box read that somewhere and tried this myself..
as long as both amps have speaker loads and the Di is placed between 1st amp and 2nd amp
then efx can be placed between those two safely line level wont hurt the 2nd amp nor efx..

since both are mic'd the player or audience would hear all that through monitors..
if your standing in the room not hearing monitors or both amps mic'd its a bit strange to get used too...

Thankfully the axe wins again...

Is it a SSS? For those of us less "in the know" ... ;)

Yes 005 to be exact with an Odyssey sitting on top.
Odyssey is 100 watt amp which explodes faster if its voiced to do that.
So from what I spy the 2nd amp inputs are stacked atop one another
Fet on top Normal on bottom input.. I asked what the deal was because im evidently a pest
and was told the first amp breaks up faster and he liked the sound of that pushing the SSS.

David Lindley did this also..

you will see two snake skin amps behind Lindley one ODS one SSS 100 that one is #003
it sold last year again and is back in studio in LA.

anyway hear the locomotive sound ?
he blows the first amp up stands all the hair up on that and drives the BIG AMP
and that stays LOUD AND CLEAN and pushes that Air..

At about 34 seconds into this one you can see two white heads behind him
stacked those are both ODS matching snake skin heads.. I think Ben Harper owns those now.

first video of mercury blues he is using ODS into SSS 003.
both 100 watt amps but the girth of the sound is the ODS driving that other 100 SSS
its what is growling and roaring...

I have an idea the ODS into the SVT might be interesting..
Jackson Browns former amp the one SRV recorded the first record with but could not buy
NOT FOR SALE amp so he got some made... 007 is one of those amps He had a silver face SSS
which he named king tone console that one might be 006 and the rest were black faced 150 amps..
To my limited knowledge all SSS amps 1-4 are 100 watters 005-009 are 150..

Now I find they did not have 12ax7 tubes in them thats nothing surprising though oldboy is clever and tricky
and depending on the player they would all sound and be different anyway...

I heard Srvs amps and Ejs amps many times in the rehearsal studio and live soundcheck ect.
Right in front of them or out in audience..

SRVS were loud and clean amps VERY LOUD Ejs amp was Loud and it had some Hair too it
a slight Jangle or True Grit too it..

Lindleys ODS Barked and Growled so if he fed that into a TALL HEAD ROOM AMP its going to
flood the entire place with a clear as a bell loud volume...

Now Michael Landau..

I want to hug the person that recorded this show...
Here you see a good example of slaving also..
Landau using a modified Dumble Super slaving into a borrowed Deluxe.
using a Suhr Iso box DI he can slave over too deluxe and or vice versa and
set reverb on Wet amp. The loaner just gets fed line level signal they crank it
a tinge louder to become HUGE..

I think we are hearing a Ultra Phonic Dumble here that would be the Super on the left.
you hear both amps but mixed..
so one stays clean one gets kicked in the nads and it grows hair and that feeds the second amp
which EATS THE ENTIRE JOINT....

:)

The 50 I have is a Bassman its in Bassman platform.
its got more ass then all the Kardashian family combined..

snggg
so I have to turn the bass off and push the mids and treble Mid knob is a modification
on back to switch between humbuckers or single coils you can add or remove hair..

Its got alot of hair it should drive another clean amp such as tweed twin or something
or super or showman. Since these dont have efx loops DI box is used..
its a safe way to tap post power amp section and before speaker so you get the
balls and guts and glory and all but its line level to 2nd amp....
So it sounds like something bout to xplode..

one more Landau with his new ODS amp silver faced under rack goodies and a Dumble slidewinder
the one with vox grill in head sitting to right.

Here he is using loop out too rack and might have stereo power amp there for wet efx
but your hearing the Dumbles here also.
he might have a od100 somewhere suhr od100 for cleans but I dont see it
and he just got that silver Dumble so he was playing it live here...

The Slidewinder is more of an aggressive slide amp. its like a 4 hole tweed bassman in a head form
but Dumblefied.

Examples of how they slave amps and use loaner or rental amps while on the road.
Sounds like it was LOUD lol

So I thought Fractal was supposed to cure G.A.S., but after playing through the BB Pre model quite a bit (especially into the Lonestar but also into the AC15), I had to buy a real one just to have in the collection.

Doh!

Yes 005 to be exact with an Odyssey sitting on top.
Odyssey is 100 watt amp which explodes faster if its voiced to do that.
So from what I spy the 2nd amp inputs are stacked atop one another
Fet on top Normal on bottom input.. I asked what the deal was because im evidently a pest
and was told the first amp breaks up faster and he liked the sound of that pushing the SSS.

David Lindley did this also..

you will see two snake skin amps behind Lindley one ODS one SSS 100 that one is #003
it sold last year again and is back in studio in LA.

anyway hear the locomotive sound ?
he blows the first amp up stands all the hair up on that and drives the BIG AMP
and that stays LOUD AND CLEAN and pushes that Air..

At about 34 seconds into this one you can see two white heads behind him
stacked those are both ODS matching snake skin heads.. I think Ben Harper owns those now.

first video of mercury blues he is using ODS into SSS 003.
both 100 watt amps but the girth of the sound is the ODS driving that other 100 SSS
its what is growling and roaring...

I have an idea the ODS into the SVT might be interesting..
Jackson Browns former amp the one SRV recorded the first record with but could not buy
NOT FOR SALE amp so he got some made... 007 is one of those amps He had a silver face SSS
which he named king tone console that one might be 006 and the rest were black faced 150 amps..
To my limited knowledge all SSS amps 1-4 are 100 watters 005-009 are 150..

Now I find they did not have 12ax7 tubes in them thats nothing surprising though oldboy is clever and tricky
and depending on the player they would all sound and be different anyway...

I heard Srvs amps and Ejs amps many times in the rehearsal studio and live soundcheck ect.
Right in front of them or out in audience..

SRVS were loud and clean amps VERY LOUD Ejs amp was Loud and it had some Hair too it
a slight Jangle or True Grit too it..

Lindleys ODS Barked and Growled so if he fed that into a TALL HEAD ROOM AMP its going to
flood the entire place with a clear as a bell loud volume...

Now Michael Landau..

I want to hug the person that recorded this show...
Here you see a good example of slaving also..
Landau using a modified Dumble Super slaving into a borrowed Deluxe.
using a Suhr Iso box DI he can slave over too deluxe and or vice versa and
set reverb on Wet amp. The loaner just gets fed line level signal they crank it
a tinge louder to become HUGE..

I think we are hearing a Ultra Phonic Dumble here that would be the Super on the left.
you hear both amps but mixed..
so one stays clean one gets kicked in the nads and it grows hair and that feeds the second amp
which EATS THE ENTIRE JOINT....

:)

The 50 I have is a Bassman its in Bassman platform.
its got more ass then all the Kardashian family combined..

snggg
so I have to turn the bass off and push the mids and treble Mid knob is a modification
on back to switch between humbuckers or single coils you can add or remove hair..

Its got alot of hair it should drive another clean amp such as tweed twin or something
or super or showman. Since these dont have efx loops DI box is used..
its a safe way to tap post power amp section and before speaker so you get the
balls and guts and glory and all but its line level to 2nd amp....
So it sounds like something bout to xplode..

one more Landau with his new ODS amp silver faced under rack goodies and a Dumble slidewinder
the one with vox grill in head sitting to right.

Here he is using loop out too rack and might have stereo power amp there for wet efx
but your hearing the Dumbles here also.
he might have a od100 somewhere suhr od100 for cleans but I dont see it
and he just got that silver Dumble so he was playing it live here...

The Slidewinder is more of an aggressive slide amp. its like a 4 hole tweed bassman in a head form
but Dumblefied.

Examples of how they slave amps and use loaner or rental amps while on the road.
Sounds like it was LOUD lol

It seems that also Gilmour used a Mesa MK1 preamp as a boost/overdrive in front of his Hiwatts (PF's The Wall tour)
http://www.gilmourish.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/wall_stage1.jpg

So when tone knob is at noon at axe and the EQ Section not touched, does it act like the real pedal having Treble and Bass at noon?

So when tone knob is at noon at axe and the EQ Section not touched, does it act like the real pedal having Treble and Bass at noon?

Correct. And I can confirm that the recently updated model sounds and feels accurate to the real BB Pre.

Reactions: Cem
Back
Top Bottom