Fractal Audio AMP models: Euro Blue and Red (Bogner Ecstasy)

AMAZING!

Can someone walk me thorough getting this tone? I know a ton is in the phrasing, but I can't get the blue to sound like this. This is VERY close to Luke's original tone (from thr Dimarzio pickup promo)

It sounds like he's using a split-coil setting on that guitar, so start there.
Might even be able to get a way with using a Stratocaster for it, as opposed to that Andy Timmons guitar it looks like he's using.
Euro blue amp model, turn the master up a little and turn the drive up to taste.

You might not need to touch the bass/mid/treble knobs at all, with the Bogners it's usually all about that presence control, at least for me.
I have a VERY dark sounding guitar, so I have the presence knob around 8 or 9 on the Axe Fx (depth at 5 or less).

Austinbuddy's cab pack is still one of my absolute favorites, and the "1x12 Shiver 57 B" is my favorite from the Shiva impulses included there.

Beyond that, the specifics will really come down to your room and the guitar you're using, but that should serve as a good starting point to get you in the ballpark.

2 or 3 months ago i read yek's tip, number #29, since that day, the euro blue channel is my main amp for gigs and rehearls. I've tried yek's settings ,is and incredible live sound, with punch, clear, cut the mix... perfect for me.

Muchas gracias Yek!

Note: I did that because I dont particularly like the voicing of the XTCs, and I was trying to make it closer to a hot rod JCM800 tone. Even dimed it wasn't too bright for my tastes

The XTC nails pretty much any Marshall style tone If you know how to dail it in.. and the models in the Axe is pretty close even to the 101b. (The amp I got and it’s the same as Lukather played for years.) I should know owning the real amp. It has a lot going on: 3 different settings for bright switch, tight, lose and medium setting on the poweramp. High and low gain structure..
Boost. Presence.. Plexi mode etc. an amazing Fender style clean channel. My favorite channel for gain is the blue channel. I have it on the low gain structure settings with the gain knob about 2 o’clock. bright setting 1. I find that the red channel is a bit hard to use ones you have dialed in the blue channel. But in plexi mode it’s perfect. In this settings the amp reacts really good with boost/overdrive pedals on both gain channels.

Last edited:
This is what I was referencing from page 1 of this thread

"People think Bogners are dark but they really aren't. The reason they seem that way is the pot tapers. Most people assume knobs should be set somewhere around noon. If you do this on a Bogner it's like turning the treble way down on a Marshall. Close your eyes and adjust the tone controls with your ears. Don't be afraid to turn them way up or way down."

"Human nature is to put the knobs near noon. We are reticent to deviate much from noon. Amp designers exploit this and use different tapers to change the sound of their amps WITH THE KNOBS AT NOON. A prime example are Bogner amps. Everyone says "Bogner amps are dark". No they aren't. But he uses a Log10A taper for the treble pot. It's a standard Marshall tone stack. Usually a linear taper pot is used for the treble. The treble knob at 5.0 (noon) on a Bogner is equivalent to the treble knob at 1.0 on a Marshall. People put the knob at 5.0 and go "wow, this amp is dark". No it isn't. If you turned the treble up to 8 or 9 it would sound a lot like a Plexi but humans are reticent to turn the knobs to extremes. Amp designers know this and exploit it to give their amps a "signature sound"."

This is what I was referencing from page 1 of this thread

"People think Bogners are dark but they really aren't. The reason they seem that way is the pot tapers. Most people assume knobs should be set somewhere around noon. If you do this on a Bogner it's like turning the treble way down on a Marshall. Close your eyes and adjust the tone controls with your ears. Don't be afraid to turn them way up or way down."

"Human nature is to put the knobs near noon. We are reticent to deviate much from noon. Amp designers exploit this and use different tapers to change the sound of their amps WITH THE KNOBS AT NOON. A prime example are Bogner amps. Everyone says "Bogner amps are dark". No they aren't. But he uses a Log10A taper for the treble pot. It's a standard Marshall tone stack. Usually a linear taper pot is used for the treble. The treble knob at 5.0 (noon) on a Bogner is equivalent to the treble knob at 1.0 on a Marshall. People put the knob at 5.0 and go "wow, this amp is dark". No it isn't. If you turned the treble up to 8 or 9 it would sound a lot like a Plexi but humans are reticent to turn the knobs to extremes. Amp designers know this and exploit it to give their amps a "signature sound"."
So he sort of said that. About the Treble knob. That's not the same thing as saying to dime all the EQ controls. :)

Back
Top Bottom