Fractal Audio AMP models: CA Tucana (Carol-Ann Tucana 3)

Yes, just turn up the AMP's Level. Or, as I like to do with clean amps, turn up Master.

Maybe it's just because I am exploring some new amps, but I am used to seeing amps come up with depth set at 0. Often presence also is, too. So to visit the Tucana and find depth and presence both set to 5.00 by default is a little surprising.

I cliff has talked about some amps having a fixed prescence. I could be wrong but I believe the Trip and Tusc both have fixed prescence in real life

If presence and depth are set to zero, it is because the controls are not available on the real amp. They are available on the Tucana

Big fan of the Tucana too. I can picture myself using almost exclusively Carol-Ann amps in the Axe. I would love to have one

No Depth control on the Tucana AFAIK.

I don't remember one either, but I only played one a few times. Without the depth on 5.00, though, the amp does not sound right at all. Maybe it is an internal trimmer or something.

At heart, I think I get confused by how default settings are chosen on these amp blocks. I could see defaulting to the same settings as a factory preset, including the tone knobs and such. That way resetting the block would always get you back to where Cliff and company think things are a good starting point. For amps that typically have the bass knob almost on 0, it doesn't make much sense to start it at 5. I could even see where starting the tone knobs at either 0 or 10 might make more sense, because it carries a stronger implication that they shouldn't stay there...unless you like dimed controls.

But, understandably but confusingly, we have a mix of apparently intentionally-set controls (crunch at 3, harmonics at 0) that vary from model to model, and other controls that are just seem set arbitrarily like the tone knobs. Combine that with an occasional bug and I am never sure which parameters are defaulted for a reason and which aren't.

The more I play with this and the Triptic models, the more I notice that there is a strong 1500Hz-ish element to both the CAA amps modeled that you really can't dial out with anything except an IR that has a dip there. It's not obnoxious, but it's very much there and doesn't respond to the tone controls. It's there when BMT are zeroed!

It really helps the amps cut through a dense mix. If you find yourself fighting another guitar for space, these amps might be a good place to turn.

But I don't remember the Tucana I played sounding like that.

Played a Triptik-AxefxII for about two solid hours tonight... Med-hi gain thru 212 xitone Loudly, wah half engaged with 70 strat, Wammy bar style... Almost cried. So EXTREMLY responsive and warm, natural feedback gurgling, random phaser stomps and a mod 808. I know what I'm doing on my lunch break tomorrow.

Just been turned on to this amp - sounds great!

Anyone care to share their fav clean settings? Drives, delays that pair well? :cool:

i can't figure this out. it says in the wiki - "Real world, it has the same amount of actual gain as the Triptik. Way more than most people would need for recording or live playing. Input gain on 10 o clock, gain on 2 o clock is a 70s /80s lead tone, put the input level up to 2 o click and it's a very sustained lead tone or a very modern heavy rhythm tone."

even with both gain controls on 2o/c and the master on 5, there's still no where near as much gain as is described above. i would say it's a mid-gain rhythm tone...not a sustained lead at all....Q8.02

i can't figure this out. it says in the wiki - "Real world, it has the same amount of actual gain as the Triptik. Way more than most people would need for recording or live playing. Input gain on 10 o clock, gain on 2 o clock is a 70s /80s lead tone, put the input level up to 2 o click and it's a very sustained lead tone or a very modern heavy rhythm tone."

even with both gain controls on 2o/c and the master on 5, there's still no where near as much gain as is described above. i would say it's a mid-gain rhythm tone...not a sustained lead at all....Q8.02

I'll check my settings when I get home.
The Triptik has a ton of gain....but I can't remember what my controls are set at.

The more I play with this and the Triptic models, the more I notice that there is a strong 1500Hz-ish element to both the CAA amps modeled that you really can't dial out with anything except an IR that has a dip there. It's not obnoxious, but it's very much there and doesn't respond to the tone controls. It's there when BMT are zeroed!

It really helps the amps cut through a dense mix. If you find yourself fighting another guitar for space, these amps might be a good place to turn.

But I don't remember the Tucana I played sounding like that.

I totally agree this for the Triptik models. I don't hear it with the Tucana though.
Tucana is my go-to amp. I f'n love it.

Triptik 3 is out in real life....hoping we see it in the Axe soon.

Maybe a disconnect due to the "real world" statement? My initial thought was he was referencing the FAS model and it's virtual knob positions... but maybe he's referring to the real world amp model and the input gain and overdrive knob positions? Unsure if 2:00 on FAS would be identical to 2:00 on the physical amp.

The Tucana is one of my all-time favorites. Considering how many amps are in the Axe, that is saying a lot. The Celestion creambacks work perfectly with this amp. If I were left on the proverbial deserted island with just one preset, it would be the Tucana.

I have been using the TripTik for a years now. Makes me want to try the Tucana. I use the TripTik cab and love it.

Never tried this model (Tucana Lead) before last night... I gotta say, this amp really is amazing. Crazy versatile: bluesy Dumble-ish to AC/DC on steroids, to metal Mesa-ish tones.

It's really hard to get a bad sound out of this amp. The way the overdrive and Master Volume interact is really fascinating.

I'm pairing it with one of Ownhammer's Celestion Heritage G12H30 75Hz IRs (OH 412 MAR-CB H75-PR OH2-04).

Are people still liking the Carol-Ann? I'm a little late to the game but just started using it on my main presets and was super impressed. What really stuck out to me was how the MIDs sounds so full. I was comparing to the other amp I was using which happened to be the Wrecker express and realized how much thinner it sounded. I know my ears can some times play tricks on me so I wondered what others were thinking about the Carol-Ann in particular the Tucana.

Back
Top Bottom