FOR THOSE HAVING ISSUES WITH 3.0x...

RichHowe

Inspired
It’s not in your head. There is some anomaly causing the Axe-Fx II to sound thin and trebly at times. I am using the word anomaly and not bug or defect because it’s possible that it may be user error or user process that is causing this. I know for a fact that something is not right because I have heard 3.0x sound thin and trebly with almost no punch several times but I’ve also heard it sound amazing (the best way I can describe it is similar to 2.0x but with more breadth and bite). And, while I’ve noticed the anomaly more than once, I was not paying close enough attention or employing any scientific method to enable me to be able to reproduce it. And, as a software engineer for a Fortune 20 company I know that it must be consistently reproducible for it to be considered a defect.

Now before everyone starts getting defensive and blaming my custom patches or settings, take note that I am not using any. I am only using the factory presets that everyone already has so please don’t ask me to post them. I am also using 3.02 after performing a reset. So to reiterate, it’s not my presets, or the advanced amp settings, or the global settings (amp and cab sims), or anything else that I may have configured incorrectly with my Axe-Fx II. It is also not due to any monitors, amps, cabs, etc.; I have heard the differences while only connected through headphones (two different pairs to rule each of them out). And, it is not due to my guitar (passive electronics - no battery) because I was using the same guitar when it sounded bad as I did when it sounded good. The same fingers were used for all playing ;).

Here is my current setup…

Firmware – 3.02
Presets – V3 Banks A,B and C
Axe-Edit – 1.0.242
USB Driver – 1.50.0
Windows 7 x64

For Cliff…
CLIFF I HAVE ALL OF THE RESPECT IN THE WORLD FOR YOU. THE AXE FX II IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER PLAYED GUITAR THROUGH PERIOD! Please don’t take this post negatively; I’m just trying to get everyone to be able to enjoy THE GREATEST GUITAR PROCESSOR EVER! When I talked to you on the phone a while back (right after 2.00 came out) about an issue I was having with my fan you told do all of this because you love it. It’s quite evident from the products you produce, the attention to detail you employ, the frequency of updates you release, and the time and energy you devote to customer satisfaction, both through the forums and personal contact, that you do truly love this. I hope you will take this post as trying to be helpful and completely positive with the sole goal of trying to get all of your customers to love it as much as you do.

Thoughts and observations…
I personally believe this is somehow related to Axe-Edit. I have only noticed the anomaly when my laptop was connected to the Axe-Fx II while Axe-Edit was open (which is almost always). However, I have been running 2 instances of Axe-Edit side by side trying to compare presets, which is why I say it may be a user error causing the issue. It may also have to do with the order of connecting and turning on the Axe-Fx II, the USB cable and Axe-Edit which is why I say it may have to do with user process. And, this may actually have nothing to do with 3.0x and may have existed before but is more noticeable now because of new versions of Axe-Edit and the fact that more people are comparing banks and presets in Axe-Edit. Again, right now I have no evidence that it has anything to do with Axe-Edit, only coincidence, but I’m going to start doing some scientific testing soon to try to track this down. I do not believe it has anything to do with the USB driver as I had the anomaly occur before I had 1.50.0 installed. I also don’t believe this is anyway related to the hardware or particular units which I think I saw mentioned in another post. And, I don’t think it can be the presets because the same presets sound both good and bad depending on whether the anomaly is occurring or not. In summary, I believe this is related to Axe-Edit and may or may not be related to the 3.0x firmware and the way it communicates to Axe-Edit.

If you’re unsure if you’re having this anomaly, check the following presets. I’ve noticed that the 59 Bassguy and Deluxe Verb presets sound distorted and “flubby” or “farty”. Also, the SOLO100 Crunch and SOLO100 Lead presets are almost unbearable. And, the Energy Ball preset unfortunately has no balls. Oddly, some of the heavier presets don’t sound as bad as the Energy Ball preset does. The Shiver Lead sounds thin and harsh and the USA Lead sounds like its being played through a Wah pedal with the toe down. In general, it sounds like you’re playing with strings that are 10 years old and with active electronics that have a dead battery. There is huge difference in all of the presets when the anomaly is not occurring. If I get the anomaly to occur again I will try to make some recordings of how the presets sound. If you would like to post recordings, remember recordings will only be relevant if your Axe-Fx II is in a factory state (i.e. perform a factory reset and don’t modify anything) and you don’t modify the recordings in anyway (I.e. apply post processing, etc.).

Recommendations…
I have only noticed this anomaly while connected to the Axe-Fx II with Axe-Edit running. If you believe you are having this anomaly, please try disconnecting from your computer and try rebooting the Axe-Fx II and see if it sounds better. If it does not, BACKUP YOUR AXE-FX II and then try reinstalling the presets, perform a reset, disconnect your computer, reboot the Axe-Fx II and then try playing again through just headphones. If you have one, try using different USB cable. Please post your results below.

For those of you having issues…
BELIEVE ME THE MOJO IS STILL IN THE BOX, I’ve heard it, there is just something making it difficult for us to get to at times. Please don’t give up and go back to 2.0 if you can help it, I need your help in tracking down the cause of this anomaly. A QM department of 1 will take much longer to get to the bottom of this then it would with all of you helping me. Please list your setup in your replies and note any similarities to what I have or am doing and if the recommendation helped or not.

For those of you NOT having issues…
While it would be great for all of those having issues to try the recommendation above and offer their own suggestions, it would also be helpful for any users not having the anomaly to try running Axe-Edit as I mentioned above to see if you can reproduce the anomaly.

For the naysayers and non-believers…
If you don’t believe there is an issue and are happy with your sounds then by all means go play guitar and enjoy it. I welcome and encourage any and all posts offering any positive suggestions or constructive criticism. However, please do not post negative or derogatory comments which provide no insight or help as to what may be going on, instead “let the music do the talking…”

Last edited:
doesn't axe-edit sometimes mess things up when it hasn't had a chance to become up-to-date like the Firmware is?

Does it sound fine when the axe isn't plugged into the computer? If so it seems like some of the settings on the axe which haven't yet transferred to axe edit, could be causing an issue. I have had no issues, once I've adjusted the hardness settings on my amp models to my liking.

Sounds to me like an axe-edit error, not an axe-fx firmware error, but that's just me and my experience. I don't use axe-edit other than to test out user patches and to update firmware, and haven't had any issues at this time.

edit: Also, i think that the factory presets, while very good for factory presets, don't sit perfectly in my listening environment, so I have to adjust them all to my ears slightly. The issue you are experiencing doesn't seem slight, so i think it is different concept.

Have you insured the poweramp sims and cab sims are in their correct position on/off for how you are running the axe? It seems like performing a complete reset could change those, and possibly affect the sound. Same with mono/stereo, etc...just some thoughts.

Last edited:
For clarity sake, are you saying that you have heard presets such as 59 Bassguy, Deluxe Verb, SOLO 100 Crunch and Lead, etc. sound good at certain times and bad at others? Or, do these always sound bad and other presets always sound good? I think you are saying they sound differently at different times, but wanted to be certain.

Thanks

Firmware – 3.02
Presets – V3 Banks A,B and C
Axe-Edit – 1.0.242
USB Driver – 1.50.0
Windows 7 x64

Same config here. I Have not noticed any of these tonal shifts....with Axe edit connected or not. I will try to replicate.

Reloading the firmware is not going to do anything. If the firmware is bad it won't load and if it did load it would most likely make the unit inoperable.

Thanks for all of the replies!

Yes karmakarmakarma, all of the presets sound bad when the anomaly is occuring and all sound great when it is not. I was just trying to point out some that seem to be more noticebly impacted when the anomaly is occuring. For instance, 59 Bassguy and Deluxe Verb sound really bad when the anomaly is occuring but 65 Bassguy and Brownface only seem to sound a little worse. SOLO100 Crunch is unbearable for me when the anolmaly is occuring but it's one of my favorites when it's not.

To add to this mystery, enigma, riddle, I find many of the Plexi patches sound like a Wah is engaged as well, just like you said about the USALead. I can't seem to get rid of it. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Note - this has been on all firmware versions of Axe-II.

It really sounds like you are describing a bad cord. Not trying to be a troublemaker but I had one doing this to me that I thought couldn't be because it was relatively new and once I replaced it all was well in the world again.

When this happens, try reselecting the preset using the front panel and see if the issue clears. If so, then Axe-Edit is corrupting the preset. If not, then either Axe-Edit is corrupting a global value or there is something else weird going on.

Thanks randombastage!

Good point, I assume you're talking about the USB cable. I'm a computer guy so I have a hundred of them, I'll try a diffrent one.

When this happens, try reselecting the preset using the front panel and see if the issue clears. If so, then Axe-Edit is corrupting the preset. If not, then either Axe-Edit is corrupting a global value or there is something else weird going on.

That did not change the sound at all for me.I've reset my global parameters at least 5 times as well.

yeah, i think axe edit messed something up for me once. i don't use it anymore - sorry!

oh and to richhowe, great post man. i wish you didn't' have to qualify yourself so much, before people jump on you for being "negative" or "kiss-ass" or inaccurate, etc. but oh well. that's how a forum works huh? :)

Last edited:
I think I read another post somewhere else about Axe Edit incorrectly increasing one of the amp low-cut settings under some circumstances. Does anyone recall? That would explain the thin sound (and Cliff's suggestion would overcome it, if this is the cause).

Yes, I've had exactly the same suspicion. Sometimes Axe-Fx II blows me away and sometimes it sounds thin and trebly. I also only use factory presets at the moment and am usually sitting at my computer with Axe-Edit driving Axe-Fx II. But I'm afraid I can't really quantify or reproduce what's causing it but I think there is something going on there that's not quite right. Not a complaint guys, love both Axe-Edit and Axe-Fx II, but I will watch it more closely now to see if some pattern emerges. This is not fatal ... they are complex software and hardware systems and it takes time in the field to work out the subtleties. Par for the course.

I have had axe edit lock up several times with this message

Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: AxeEdit.exe
Application Version: 1.0.193.0
Application Timestamp: 4ebda088
Hang Signature: 3137
Hang Type: 1
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Hang Signature 1: 3137819e4077d266e507fa73b95742a0
Additional Hang Signature 2: c822
Additional Hang Signature 3: c822f23152c41515e35bace57530ef6c
Additional Hang Signature 4: 3137
Additional Hang Signature 5: 3137819e4077d266e507fa73b95742a0
Additional Hang Signature 6: c822
Additional Hang Signature 7: c822f23152c41515e35bace57530ef6c

Read our privacy statement online:
Windows 7 Privacy Statement - Microsoft Windows

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Q - when selecting a patch via AxeEdit, is AxeEdit trying to write / alter some parm settings rather than simply calling up the patch from the Axe's memory?

Thanks chrisallen8888! Playing guitar is one of the greatest feelings in the world. I just want everone to be able to enjoy it and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom