FOR THOSE HAVING ISSUES WITH 3.0x...

Thanks quark! Agreed! I had actually accepted my sound and moved on and started editing all of the Bank A presets. When I started to upload my "new" bank a Axe-Edit hung and I had to quit it and I also rebooted the Axe-Fx II. When it came back up all of my presets sounded "off' so I reloaded the factory pressets and they all started sounding great. That's when I finally realized that it wasn't me. I just wanted to let other people who I saw having similar issues know that there is hope and hopefully offered them a suggestion to hear it sounding the way it was meant ot be. For me, (for now) that's without using Axe-Edit.

Hi clarky,

I don't know about that. But, I do know that when I load a preset from a bank file in Axe-Edit I can hear it play the same preset from the Axe-Fx briefly before it starts playing the one selected from the bank file.

If you have MIDI-OX (or similar MIDI librarian software other than Axe-Edit), maybe this procedure would isolate the issue:

1) When all is well, go to the I/O menu and set "Send Realtime Sysex" to None so it doesn't send tempo or tuner info.
2) Set MIDI-OX to receive a manual patch dump.
3) Switch to 59 Bassguy, and from the Utility menu choose dump preset to USB.
4) MIDI-OX should capture it. Save the sysex file in MIDI-OX. This should be the "good" version of the patch.
5) When the issue occurs, do the same process to save the "bad" version of the patch.

In MIDI-OX you can compare the sysex files to see if they're different. If they are different, then it would be patch corruption and you could send the files to Fractal to identify the specific problem. If they're the same, then patch corruption could be ruled out.

Last edited:
If you have MIDI-OX (or similar MIDI librarian software other than Axe-Edit), maybe this procedure would isolate the issue:

1) When all is well, go to the I/O menu and set "Send Realtime Sysex" to None so it doesn't send tempo or tuner info.
2) Set MIDI-OX to receive a manual patch dump.
3) Switch to 59 Bassguy, and from the Utility menu choose dump preset to USB.
4) MIDI-OX should capture it. Save the sysex file in MIDI-OX. This should be the "good" version of the patch.
5) When the issue occurs, do the same process to save the "bad" version of the patch.

In MIDI-OX you can compare the sysex files to see if they're different. If they are different, then it would be patch corruption and you could send the files to Fractal to identify the specific problem. If they're the same, then patch corruption could be ruled out.

Great idea! Thanks LostInSpace, I do have MIDI-OX and will give that a try the next time the anomaly shows up.

I've always used "Bome's SendSX" exclusively when upgrading firmware or presets. No issues whatsoever. Solid, based on all my experiences since the Ultra. Maybe another good program to compare with Axe Edit. Definitely looking forward to how this all washes out.

FWIW - I have done many, many firmware upgrades with AxeEdit without a single issue - both with the Ultra over MIDI using the UNO or 2x2 and with the AXe-II over both MIDI and USB.
I have had little luck with SendSx or MidiOX and the Axe. I find that Elekton's C6 works well with the MFC.
However, ALL my firmware upgrades (and downgrades) have been done with AxeEdit.

FWIW - I have done many, many firmware upgrades with AxeEdit without a single issue - both with the Ultra over MIDI using the UNO or 2x2 and with the AXe-II over both MIDI and USB.
I have had little luck with SendSx or MidiOX and the Axe. I find that Elekton's C6 works well with the MFC.

I couldn't even figure out how to do it with Axe-Edit. MIDI-OX, no probs, just changed the buffer or flow rate or whatever as the readme said to.

I've had only one issue with updating firmware with MidiOx on Windows 7 64 bit and the Axe II and USB. (I never had a single issue with MidiOx and my Ultra and Midisport 2x2 Anniversary midi interface.)

I enabled the AxeII as a midi input in MidiOx. I had never done that before when updating firmware. The firmware update failed. After I disabled midi input, all worked as before; not a single issue.

Richard

After I read this thread, I checked the preset "Energy Ball" and in my oppinion the preset sounded truly bad, and fizzy and all. Until I touched the Edit button. When I reached "AMP" the sound changed and sounded excellent. I tried other preset, the soldano lead. Again, bad sound. Touched Edit - AMP - sounds beautiful.
Went back to Energy Ball - perfect sound. Back to Soldano Lead - perfect sound.

So, I will have to do this trick with every preset that I want to use.

I suspect that if I connect it to the wrong version of Axe Edit and try to load a preset from bank insted of AXE FX, I will make it sound bad again. I installed version 1.0.242 but now after I read this thread I'm afraid to even connect the damn thing to my Axe FX. It sounds great, never had this kind of sound perfection at low volume AND high volume. And version 3 left so little to tweak to sound good, maybe I don't need Axe Edit any more...

how much easier could it really be than having to click ONE command ? Settings > UPDATE FIRMWARE

I looked in Axe-Manage where all the other sysex stuff happens, as the firmware of the box itself is not an Axe-Edit setting.

After I read this thread, I checked the preset "Energy Ball" and in my oppinion the preset sounded truly bad, and fizzy and all. Until I touched the Edit button. When I reached "AMP" the sound changed and sounded excellent. I tried other preset, the soldano lead. Again, bad sound. Touched Edit - AMP - sounds beautiful.
Went back to Energy Ball - perfect sound. Back to Soldano Lead - perfect sound.

So, I will have to do this trick with every preset that I want to use.

I suspect that if I connect it to the wrong version of Axe Edit and try to load a preset from bank insted of AXE FX, I will make it sound bad again. I installed version 1.0.242 but now after I read this thread I'm afraid to even connect the damn thing to my Axe FX. It sounds great, never had this kind of sound perfection at low volume AND high volume. And version 3 left so little to tweak to sound good, maybe I don't need Axe Edit any more...

I just tried this exact same thing. No difference at all. Try the new batch of presets that were posted last week, those are what I'm using and no problems at all.

I couldn't even figure out how to do it with Axe-Edit. MIDI-OX, no probs, just changed the buffer or flow rate or whatever as the readme said to.

Seriously!? Under Settings, it says "Update Firmware". What's to figure out?

I looked in Axe-Manage where all the other sysex stuff happens, as the firmware of the box itself is not an Axe-Edit setting.
Yea it is.... did you not understand what VegaBaby said..??
The firmware upgrade in AxeEdit is to go to Settings menu (that's top left UNDER the Fractal logo), chose Update Firmware... it pops up a window to let you navigate to the physical location of the new firmware on your PC (the .syx file). You select it and follow directions..
that easy.

I think he gets it. He was just explaining that he didn't find it at first because he hadn't looked under "Settings." I have to admit, the location isn't 100% intuitive (though the documentation spells it out pretty clearly).

Back
Top Bottom