Footswitch Failure in AX8

NoahWVU

Hi Everyone - currently have some serious issues with the AX8 Unit. I have had the unit for ~3 months, I bought it used. Initially had an issue w/ the F3 button sticking, but I reset the firmware and it seemed to correct the problem. Two days ago I began to have issues w/ the other footswitches. I could not repeat the failure, but rebooting the system would correct it, temporarily. Within a day, the S5, S6 and S7 switches completely stopped working. The LEDs still work, and it will show if the assigned effect is turned on/off through Axe Edit, but the switches are non - responsive. Occasionally, the 5,6,7 switches will turn on / off randomly, and will even select a sticky preset if I have function enabled. Any thoughts? Anyone have a similar experience? I have checked the footswitches, and CB. Reset firmware several times. Everything is making good contact and nothing is loose in the unit. Contacted Fractal, but no response and its been 2 days. Thanks,

I am having exactly the same issue ,I bought my unit new 2 years ago; the last 2 rehearsals I've had this issue; I have sent a message to fractal support ; and also called them friday ;their guy is sick right now; the guy i spoke to said try cleaning up your presets (lowering CPU ) What i noticed is (and this could be coincidental ) but both presets where the issue arises /starts ..i had a WHA block in the preset; i left the unit on all day yesterday and played intermittently threw out the day,it happened once ; So far everytime a reboot the unit everything works for a while

Hi Everyone - currently have some serious issues with the AX8 Unit. I have had the unit for ~3 months, I bought it used. Initially had an issue w/ the F3 button sticking, but I reset the firmware and it seemed to correct the problem. Two days ago I began to have issues w/ the other footswitches. I could not repeat the failure, but rebooting the system would correct it, temporarily. Within a day, the S5, S6 and S7 switches completely stopped working. The LEDs still work, and it will show if the assigned effect is turned on/off through Axe Edit, but the switches are non - responsive. Occasionally, the 5,6,7 switches will turn on / off randomly, and will even select a sticky preset if I have function enabled. Any thoughts? Anyone have a similar experience? I have checked the footswitches, and CB. Reset firmware several times. Everything is making good contact and nothing is loose in the unit. Contacted Fractal, but no response and its been 2 days. Thanks,
Sounds like the cable to the board is not seated.

Sounds like the cable to the board is not seated.
had to reseat the ribbon cable in my axe fx ll ,because the screen would go blank ; any how i hope thats all it is ; hopefully Charlie at Fractal is feeling better ,and he will address this

How did you contact them. Their replies are typically very fast

Sent a request / ticket online. Since I posted this Saturday morning, every footswitch has stopped working. Board still communicates with ace edit but services will not function. I thought it might be a ribbon cable or loose connection as well, but I have checked that several times. What is odd is that while troubleshooting, I found I can disconnect the ribbon to the circuit board which is tied to the s5-8, f1 and f2 and the s1-4, f3 switches start to work again. Nothing visibly burnt or broken, but guessing it’s a hardware issue related to that individual circuit board. Will wait for them to contact me and go from there. Thanks for the input.

Update on unit ; Support told me to save my presets and than do a reset; However ....in the meantime i realized the board would freeze up when i was on a 2 particular presets that had a WHA block. OR I was switching between scenes rapidly threw-out a song ( every 10seconds ) also the CPU was up around 82% ,so i was really pushing the unit.
SOLUTION; 1) Delete wha block: 2) try to cut back on changing scenes rapidly :
So far unit is stable ,although I've only used it twice, ( 3 hours each time) I'm still not sure which of the
2 solutions is effective or even if this is a long-term fix . I will update , if the problem comes back

Just an update for anyone who might have experienced similar issues. Looks like a hardware failure on the upper circuit board (L shaped). Worked with support team and they sent out a replacement CB. Installed and good to go. Not 100% what might have caused it to fail, but happy its working once again.

So i have played several shows and have probably put 50 hours on the unit since my last post;
This is just a follow up for other forum users for reference; The problem with the foot switches freezing up
has not come back ;

Back
Top Bottom